Virginia Mountains or Texas hill country BOL?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect DrHenley,
What is the largest yield that the enemy (pick anyone, we have plenty to choose from these days...) that the enemy would use in a specific nuke target here in America?
I hope you reply, I am curious to hear your thoughts.
Many thanks,
Erqueen75:USA:

Tsar bomba, 50Mt

What is the largest yield that the enemy (pick anyone, we have plenty to choose from these days...) that the enemy would use in a specific nuke target here in America?

I believe 500kT is the sweet spot, big enough to kill or main everyone in a major city and it's inner ring. Anything beyond that would just be a waste of payload better spent on another target. Researching what is actually deployed out there would be a waste of time too because the truth would in no wise be in the public domain. Nations agreed on paper to reduce warhead yield and numbers carried but that's just paper promises. If I had a nuclear sub patrolling the oceans I know what I'd pack in it's missiles, every last kT I could squeeze in.

You can play with this site to get a feel for it. NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein Hiroshima was about 15kT.

Here is a good read too The Nuclear Weapon Archive - A Guide to Nuclear Weapons :D

In this order: our nuclear launch facilities, communications facilities (command and control), manufacturing centers (Detroit is a dead man walking).
Respectfully beg to differ, Launch yes. Communication and tech 2nd, Fuel and pipelines 3, then manufacturing.

I grew up in a manufacturing and was a tech hub and we were #9 as quoted by teachers for civil defense drills. The rise of Silicon Valley and the downfall of such players as EK, X, B and L, have changed the target list.

1/2 megaton is nothing to sneeze at. I am not on the list of people that Russia informs about their targets and end games. I have heard stories about robot submarines that can park off our east and west coasts with large warheads that can cause huge waves Kind of a sore looser, Got you last, way of thinking. Its good to know that an invisible magician would never let that happen.

I figure no country would set-off a nuke where someone has already set one off, so I live 20 miles from Trinity site NM. With this COVID mess good time to live in a ghost town. Land in Texas is not cheap, over $4000 to 6000 an acre. New Mexico has some strong points, thousands of sq. miles of open land. You can buy raw land for less than $1000 an acre, to drill a waterwell and bring in electricity will cost you. In New Mexico we have over 330 days of sunshine so people are building off grid solar systems for their homes and wood stove for heat. We buy meat on the hoof from our neighbors.

Wow.... that is a lot of replys! I didn't think that I was getting ANY at all because I never once got an email notifcation and just today thought to check it.
Honestly I can't move until the dollar collapses or they launch the new financial system. Either one will make me extremely weathy and I'll probably move!
Thank you all for all the replies. I am still strongly considering both areas. Where I live in WV I'll probably just end up a county or two over... but I am very curios about Texas hill country. When I was there a few years back we thought it was very beautiful. I am a bit concerned with the fact that TX is a boarder state and hill country is "close" to Austin.

Find a property with either a natural spring, running creek, or river -- on it or close enough to access it without issues.

Running water -- powered by nature -- can provide electricity 24/7 for very little effort.

Find a property with either a natural spring, running creek, or river -- on it or close enough to access it without issues.

Running water -- powered by nature -- can provide electricity 24/7 for very little effort.
I have a spring that produces all of our household water, gravity fed. We have 4,000 gallons of water storage capacity.

"Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink"

Steve Quayle just put out a documentary on there being a MEGAdrought everywhere west of the Mississippi. The trailer is amazing! I just don't have the currency to buy it cause I bought too much silver!!! And I have water already.

I was refering to moving water in order to produce electricity.

It would need to either be a lot of volume, or moving quickly. Doing both would make it ideal.

If it's on your property, you could narrow it with a submersible structure and increase the velocity.

Oh, makes sense. I wish I had a personal hydro electric dam.
I did take my entire solar system with me when I moved away from Maine.
And we have lived for 15 years completely off grid.

Thus, I will admit that sun is "spotty" and you are correct that a moving water source would make for continuous power.

Did you ever look into steam power?

I have been moving toward that versus everything else I've been investigating. George Bryan patented a very unique boiler 100 years ago which would've been wildly successful had it not been so late in the steam game. It reduced the boiler size and quadrupled the pressure without an increase in boiler explosion risk.

The company still sells boilers today. They boast them as the most efficient on the market. They remind me of the designs found in today's power plants: lots of tubes instead one large boiler.

I initially rejected steam simply because of the danger of boiler bursts. Also, boilers are difficult to inspect thoroughly. Water-scale and other contaminants (including oxygen damage) just made me even more afraid of it.

But the Bryan boiler idea has me captivated at the moment. They make small ones in the 50HP to 75HP range. I'm assessing whether I can build something more along the lines of 20HP.

The filth that must be cleaned from the gasification process is what keeps me from building anything.

It's a straight-forward process construction-wise, but cooling and cleaning the gas requires effort.

Further, it de-rates your engine's power by approximately 50% (varies wildly). I suspect the engines must be torn-down and cleaned frequently.

I like the idea of small hydro power. Unfortunately around here the creeks almost freeze solid in winter.

Latest posts

Back