Very simple range boost mod for UV5R radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive tried it and never saw a difference. We had two guys on my land stand where they could just barely make out one another. One added a Tiger tail the other did nothing. We tried and still sounded the same. Then we gave guy two a tiger tail and still the same. Then we tried a roll up antenna and raised it up in a tree and that helped the most. We could hear much better with just one guy having one of those. Was my example scientific who knows but if I didnt hear a difference with a tiger tail then I didnt hear a difference. Some may and if you do then great you can hear better with very little cost. I say try it because its a cheap fix if it works for you.

With VHF and UHF radio systems, antenna height is the secret. Raise a base station antenna 30 feet in the air and double your range. VHF and UHF have different propagation than CB, doubling the power will not gain you any distance. de KA5SIW

With VHF and UHF radio systems, antenna height is the secret. Raise a base station antenna 30 feet in the air and double your range. VHF and UHF have different propagation than CB, doubling the power will not gain you any distance. de KA5SIW
Just make sure you use good , low loss coax like LMR400. RG-8X isn't going to cut it with a 5 watt HT that burns up half it's power in spurious emission before it even get's to the antenna.

Last edited:
I've thought about putting a small whip on my roof for some extra range. As my cheap knock off baofengs sit, I can work a repeater 66 miles away from the upstairs deck. Ham guys on the other end are kinda amazed when I tell them what I'm using. I wish it wasn't such an expensive hobby cause id love a good do it all rig in the house.

Latest posts

Back