Veggies and fruit you can regrow.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Prepper

A True Doomsday Prepper
Administrator
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Try these out and see how they grow in your garden. I grow bok choy, basil and green onions I buy and I never have to buy them again.

Just take the root part (the white area with the small roots) and stick it in about 2 inches of water. You will be amazed that in just a day or two, you will have a couple inches of regrowth!

GREEN ONIONS
Just plant base with roots and clip off the onions as needed.

ROMAINE LETTUCE
This one is a little difficult as you need to first buy a head of romaine (not just the heart) that has a good base. Just like the green onions, stick it in some water and watch it grow. It takes a little longer than the scallions, but you should be able to get at least one more harvest out of it.

BASIL
You can create new growth for a new plant from cuttings off of a basil plant. You will need fresh basil picked right off the plant for this one. Just submerge the stems in water and new rots will start to form. Carefully plant the roots in a pot and you will have a basil plant in no time.

BOK CHOY
Just like with the romaine lettuce, Bok Choy can be grown in a similar fashion. It also is a slower growing process, but you should see results in a week or two of it starting to form.

LEEKS
Leeks are very similar to scallions, so they can be re-grown in a similar fashion. Just dunk the roots in water and leave them there. In a very short time (think a week, to a week-and-a-half), you should have enough to use again.

PINEAPPLES
This one requires quite a commitment as it can take a long time to do, even a year or two. Just take the top of a healthy pineapple and place it in water. Watch for signs of rooting taking place. When that happens, place it in good soil (even in a pot).

MUSHROOMS
If you have a family that is a fan of mushrooms, you are going to love this. Mushrooms can regenerate with nothing more than a couple single caps. Growing mushrooms takes a special environment however, so be sure you can keep your growth limited to a dark, moist area that is cool. A basement would probably be best. Just take a cap and place it in rich soil. You need to cover the cap’s top most of the way with just a little bit peeking out. Keep the area damp. In a short time, you will have some mushrooms of your own!

If you do the pineapple thing, plant at least double what you expect to get...because they don't always go so hot. But yeah, that's a long payoff, lol. Only done it once myself. No effort at all though, just patience, lol.

Latest posts

Back