USD Going digital-Not a conspiracy theory

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I finish my school in a year, I plan to buy up significantamounts of silver and gold coins.

I know people dismiss the idea of using gold and silver during the coming dark days . . . but my argument comes from WWII, where gold and silver saved the lives of many Jewish (and other minority) families through bribery.

There is family lore (from my father's side) that stashed silver and gold was used to finance a hit on a Jewish collaborator who was turning his fellow Jews into the S.S..

On other occasions, gold has been used to buy black market sulfa drugs, to escape the S.S. by "purchasing" a space on a full train and/or boat, and to barter for food in a concentration camp.

One hears many similar stories from the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and from the recent Iraq War . . . where wealthy people crossed national lines simply by having enough gold, precious stones, and jewelry to bribe their way to wherever they wanted to be.

I have also been toying with the idea of stockpiling large amounts of higher-end liqour, as good liqour is a valuable trade item . . . but I haven't decided on this yet.

I was doing it at one point in the past, and changed my mind and gave the booze as a gift to a man who was getting married and having an informal open bar at the reception.

I wouldn't waste money on the high end stuff. People who want it will take any port in a storm, Don't go for the super cheap, but, middle of the road will do: popular brands like Smirnoff, Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo. It does keep longer than most non-freeze dried foods if properly stored.

My family had small amounts of gold and silver that they traded for food during the Holodomor in Ukraine but, that required going to a government trading post. Their everyday trade was food, mostly gathered; nuts, mushrooms, roots.

When I finish my school in a year, I plan to buy up significantamounts of silver and gold coins.

I know people dismiss the idea of using gold and silver during the coming dark days . . . but my argument comes from WWII, where gold and silver saved the lives of many Jewish (and other minority) families through bribery.

I have also been toying with the idea of stockpiling large amounts of higher-end liqour, as good liqour is a valuable trade item . . . but I haven't decided on this yet.
I would stockpile what you like even if it wasn’t high end. Cheap stuff will bring as much as high end.
If it’s what you like, to give it up gives you the value for the barter.

Cheap stuff still makes fine medicine when the pharmaceuticals are gone. I don't drink anymore, but I would take a couple of bottles of cheap vodka over something high end because I know when it comes down to it, all I need is a solvent for my herbs.

Curious question. What is your favorite herb book?

Curious question. What is your favorite herb book?
Oh boy. Opening a can of worms. 🙂
I couldn't choose one.
I would say three top favorites: Herbal Antivirals, Herbal Antibiotics, and the Herbal Home Remedy Book. I think between the three of them, they tackle all of the most common illnesses.

I haven't finished Medical Herbalism yet, but it might replace those three when I am done.

I'll tell you a little story that was passed on to me about how trade sometimes works in bad times...canned food had value during WWII almost like a Fiat currency.

There was this metal can of sardines that someone had gotten from the Russian soldiers. It was passed and traded from person to person in a small village.

It would get traded for shoelaces, or a babushka (head scarf), or a ball of wool thread (to darn socks). Everyone recognized that can and yet, it still, oddly enough, had value despite being three years past its "expiration date". No one ever ate it, they just traded it.

Barter systems in desperate times take on a life of their own.

Last edited:
I've been buying up extra alcohol. Each weekend I go to grocery I stop in the Walmart liquor store and pick up usually a 1/2 gallon vodka, 1/2 gallon bacardi rum and another bottle of something else, either a tequila, a bourbon, a scotch, bottle of fireball, a bottle of wine, or whatever. Try to mix it up but since I like a drink of vodka and larry drinks bacardi, those are always on the list. If I go to Sam's club, they have the Makers Mark vodka 1.75 L for 12.98...smirnoff is usually 17.98 at walmart liquor store and the MM is perfectly fine vokda as far as I'm concerned. I've accumulated quite a stash. Also, been going by tobacco store and buying up tobacco in bulk, sealing it with oxygen absorbers in myler bags or regular vacuum sealing. I know in hard times liquor n tobacco sales increase...so I've read. Might not be popular in the mainstream now but shtf, I've got some drinkers n smokers covered. If they have anything of value to barter. If not, the liquor has other uses and tobacco I think, makes good compost material.

I've been buying up extra alcohol. Each weekend I go to grocery I stop in the Walmart liquor store and pick up usually a 1/2 gallon vodka, 1/2 gallon bacardi rum and another bottle of something else, either a tequila, a bourbon, a scotch, bottle of fireball, a bottle of wine, or whatever. Try to mix it up but since I like a drink of vodka and larry drinks bacardi, those are always on the list. If I go to Sam's club, they have the Makers Mark vodka 1.75 L for 12.98...smirnoff is usually 17.98 at walmart liquor store and the MM is perfectly fine vokda as far as I'm concerned. I've accumulated quite a stash. Also, been going by tobacco store and buying up tobacco in bulk, sealing it with oxygen absorbers in myler bags or regular vacuum sealing. I know in hard times liquor n tobacco sales increase...so I've read. Might not be popular in the mainstream now but shtf, I've got some drinkers n smokers covered. If they have anything of value to barter. If not, the liquor has other uses and tobacco I think, makes good compost material.

We all know where to go for the end of the world party!

Save the tobacco for medicinal purposes.

Moist tobacco will kill leeches, ticks, lice, and fleas.

The nicotine can be quite toxic and can get absorbed through the skin, so use tobacco (for these purposes) with moderation.

I would like to find out if moist tobacco or tobacco tea works to kill scabies mites and/or chiggers.

Save the tobacco for medicinal purposes.

Moist tobacco will kill leeches, ticks, lice, and fleas.

The nicotine can be quite toxic and can get absorbed through the skin, so use tobacco (for these purposes) with moderation.

I would like to find out if moist tobacco or tobacco tea works to kill scabies mites and/or chiggers.
Thanks Kevin! I hadn't thought about that!

Thanks Kevin! I hadn't thought about that!
Also, you can grow tobacco quite readily from seeds, and some varieties have been bred to produce beautiful ornamental foliage that would complement any flower garden.
1669087839021.png

Above is an example of ornamental tobacco plants. Below is the info for Eden Brothers, which sell seeds for about $10.00 per pack.

https://www.edenbrothers.com/produc...FlqfnnBTxCJimwzx8NtEk6_aL--FdOI8Cfdb9eCSEudb4
Keep in mind that tobacco must be processed before it can be used for the nicotine. It's my understanding that the leaves must be hung upside-down in a very dry place that is dark and has circulating air, and allowed to dry for over 6 weeks . . . but I could be wrong.

Keep in mind that there are many varieties of tobacco, and there are non-ornamental strains that have a higher nicotine content than the ornamental ones.

The flowers smell nice, and attract hummingbirds.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Also, you can grow tobacco quite readily from seeds, and some varieties have been bred to produce beautiful ornamental foliage that would complement any flower garden.View attachment 17911

Above is an example of ornamental tobacco plants. Below is the info for Eden Brothers, which sell seeds for about $10.00 per pack.

https://www.edenbrothers.com/produc...FlqfnnBTxCJimwzx8NtEk6_aL--FdOI8Cfdb9eCSEudb4
Keep in mind that tobacco must be processed before it can be used for the nicotine. It's my understanding that the leaves must be hung upside-down in a very dry place that is dark and has circulating air, and allowed to dry for over 6 weeks . . . but I could be wrong.

Keep in mind that there are many varieties of tobacco, and there are non-ornamental strains that have a higher nicotine content than the ornamental ones.

The flowers smell nice, and attract hummingbirds.

I hope this helps.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back