Urban section

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Just wondering if TPTB have considered an URBAN and City survival section as it is a pretty distinctive sub culture of prepping? Huge numbers of preppers still live in concrete jungles perhaps a sub forum for urban prepping may be apt ?

Respects
NR

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
thats a good idea..and maybe one for city.and another for country..that it'd be easier for someone to find what their looking for..mainly the new comers

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
Hmm. Sounds interesting. I wonder what the differences would be, really. I imagine one would lean more towards Bugging In, and the other Bugging Out. I do suppose escape and evade would be far more important to one than the other, too...

What do you suppose would be the primary topics there?

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Hmm. Sounds interesting. I wonder what the differences would be, really.
Lots actually.

Urban would focus on staying hidden, for starters. Also, different possible sources of food and water, different methods for ensuring water, growing food, etc. Even different hunting game and techniques (rats and pigeons, for example).

Looting opportunities would abound, but so would the risk of running into armed marauders. Could even be completely different conversations on how to bug out from a city in the first place.

There are a few accounts out on the web (that are genuine) from those who lived in such situations (like Bosnia, for example, or Cambodia), and these stories can help illustrate the challenges.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
plus fortifying a home/apartment in town would most and likely be different compared to a home in the country..gardening and storage would be different in some way or another as well

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
alabaster says

"Hmm. Sounds interesting. I wonder what the differences would be, really. I imagine one would lean more towards Bugging In, and the other Bugging Out. I do suppose escape and evade would be far more important to one than the other, too...
What do you suppose would be the primary topics there?"

Travel arrangements ( sub terr / roof top / rail lines/ storm drains/ canal paths/, navigation, foraging instead of growing, clothing requirements ( Urban clothing, different cammo schemes and colours), weaponry and CQB, tactics for movement, types of vehicles ( bikes, motorbikes, scooters, puncture proof tyres, ir lighting) hiding caches, storing food, finding water that it potable, Comms ( much harder to use radios in concrete jungles), threats from gangs, scavengers, left behinds, remaining authorities, refugees etc, Threats and hazards (fire storm ala Dresden), falling buildings, flooded structures, falling skyscrapers. etc :)

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
Lots actually.

Urban would focus on staying hidden, for starters. Also, different possible sources of food and water, different methods for ensuring water, growing food, etc. Even different hunting game and techniques (rats and pigeons, for example).

Looting opportunities would abound, but so would the risk of running into armed marauders. Could even be completely different conversations on how to bug out from a city in the first place.

There are a few accounts out on the web (that are genuine) from those who lived in such situations (like Bosnia, for example, or Cambodia), and these stories can help illustrate the challenges.
So essentially the same as our current discussions except that they would be arranged based on geo differences... It makes sense, really. Most of the differences that we're coming up with in discussions are based on what works for one that doesn't work for another. Climate and what kind of are you live in seem to make the biggest impact on what makes us take different approaches to the same issue.

Not a bad idea, at all.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I know that when I have had RVs at this location the attending Urban preppers chose clothing completely different to rural preppers, usually had smaller vehicles and often only 2 wheeled vehicles, their clothing had as much to do with being the GRAY MAN as much as cammoflage, their skill sets were similar to ours but focused more on foraging than farming, hiding rather than hunting and disappearing rather than dominating territory.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Anyone else remember that neat appraisal by an American survivalist family from Boston Mass, They chose fire arms for their compactness and quietness (.22LR IIRC) for taking birds as food, they often bought those Schott concealed pocket jackets, they wore Doc Marten footwear for stealthy walking, they adored the shortest and most manoeuvrable compound bows because they were silent and the ammo reusuable. The teens in the group practised Parkour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

They practised seeking food stores and water systems they could tap, they had practised and were trying to memorise the subway and tunnel system under the city to make it as familiar as walking to the corner store. All their gear was in urban colours of black, grey, tan, white, charcoal etc, Blending in Ala Gray Man was very important to them. I cannot remember where the original article came from unfortunately, I was just impressed by the thought they had put into their plans?

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
Our more urban-outdoorsy folks around here are always sporting high end gear, Columbia, LL Bean, Marmot, and what not. To each their own, I suppose... They are usually disinfecting everything and have brought along a better mousetrap for everything outdoors... $30 blocks of cheese and $85 bottles of wine on a 4 miles hike to a campground.... Just don't ask them to clean an animal!

Okay, okay.... That's all the yuppy jokes I'm going to make for the day.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Our more urban-outdoorsy folks around here are always sporting high end gear, Columbia, LL Bean, Marmot, and what not. To each their own, I suppose... They are usually disinfecting everything and have brought along a better mousetrap for everything outdoors... $30 blocks of cheese and $85 bottles of wine on a 4 miles hike to a campground.... Just don't ask them to clean an animal!

Okay, okay.... That's all the yuppy jokes I'm going to make for the day.
We call it Glamping in the UK when the social climbing middle classes go camping

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Guys,thanks already in advance,this is something very useful for me and most likely to alot others...still have as ultimate goal to bug out but before that happens it's going to be bug in...and to manage that time period in btetween is critical.
have already made several improvements to my flat and have a exit strategy if I have to leave this place and know some places to forage for more essentials, but appreciate and welcome more ideas

Reaction score
thats a good idea..and maybe one for city.and another for country..that it'd be easier for someone to find what their looking for..mainly the new comers
I think it's a great idea! Urban survival is what I usually look for when I'm looking for reading materials on the subject. I also find urban survival stories more interesting because it applies to my area/situation, for the most part :).

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea! Urban survival is what I usually look for when I'm looking for reading materials on the subject. I also find urban survival stories more interesting because it applies to my area/situation, for the most part :).
Already one created go to Prepping Type, click that forum and then see Urban.

Latest posts