Urban Commuter Kit List

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Urban Commuter Kit List

Below is a suggested basic kit for commuters in the UK, it can be adapted as required.

These kits have become the "must have" among city types since 911 and 7/7. The

Common sense bug has finally bitten many commuters and these few items are now

as essential as Gucci suits and handbags among the “in vogue” community, however

you do not need to be rich to have a commuter kit, just intelligent.

Bus / Train timetables and route map

Route Map of area (roads, paths, tow paths, cycle lanes etc)

Micro portable radio (get traffic updates, news reports), spare batteries

Pocket solar powered battery charger

Notebook with Taxis, Rail & Bus company Hospital and local Police numbers

Cycle route footpath / walkway guide.

Photocopy of season ticket / Oyster card in case of theft or loss.

Mobile Phone (never less than £20 credit)

LED Tactical flashlight and spare batteries (serrated bezel)

Tactical pen (pen / kubotan hybrid)

Compass

Multi tool

Small folding knife (UK SPEC non locking & under 3 inches)

Spring loaded Centre punch (glass breaking if stranded on crashed bus/ trains)

Permanent marker (Sharpie) leaving messages, marking route taken etc

4 Chemical light sticks

4 Snack meal bars (Cereal, chocolate, raisins, type)

Watch / Chronograph

Cash in case credit card system fails

A few sterile hand cleansing wipes

3 foldable dust masks/ Bandana

Spare eye glasses / contact lenses

Butane Lighter

A litre of bottled water, water filter straw

Walking shoes

Fold up pocket sized waterproof jacket/ poncho

Small first aid kit

Mini Pry bar

Gloves

Baseball Cap / Bush hat

Set of your prescription medicines.

No doubt many modern city folks will add PDA’s, Netpads, USB cable etc.

You may also consider Some over the counter medicines like aspirin, tylenol, benadryl, and imodium. I don't go anywhere without the over the counter medicines I might need.

(Personal Opinion Only)...good list though.

Possible Additions:

Anti-radiation pills (potassium iodide)
Urban escape belt: http://www.blackscoutsurvival.com/2013/05/escapetravel-belt-review.html
Clip on cap light (so you are hands free)
Charged backup power source for cell phone
Cipro pills
Water purification pills
Metal drinking bottle (can use to boil it)
Lockpicks (if you know how to use them)
Small pack of strong wire and/or paracord (I've found numerous uses for these in the past).

Things to remove from above list:

Light sticks (basically useless)
Shoes (where are you going to have these other than on your feet?)
Pocket solar charger (who is really going to have this?)
Maps and timetables, etc. (should store these as pdf on your smart phone).
Knife 3" (kind of redundant if you have a multi-tool)
Liter of water (you already have the filter straw, a liter of water is too hard to carry)
Season ticket (huh?)
Spring-loaded punch (already have the multi-tool, should be able to do same function with a decent one)

Things to change on the list:

Small radio, get one that has a hand crank, and a cell charger port.
First aid kit, be sure you have an antibiotic ointment in it
Snack bars, change to ration bars designed for caloric intake

Most people commute in their "work shoes" which are useless in an emergency. I think that's what Northern meant by walking shoes. Make sure your not stuck with dress shoes.
Also in an urban place, lakes etc arent too common always, so caring water would be useful, even if you have a filter, it's useless without actual water

Gaz, I could be wrong BUT the Anti Rad potassium tabs only protect the THYROID gland from radiation, so I think if you need them in your kit cos you live near a reactor, then you should also edc a high quality mask / respirator so you are not inhaling particles of fallout as well.

I disagree with you on light sticks, I have used them twice, once on a broken down train where the emergency lighting failed, and once to help a pedestrian who had been hit by a failure to stop driver.

Totally disagree over removing the knife, Multi tool blades are are usually thin and short and fairly delicate, remember I'm in the UK I cannot carry a gun, tazor, baton should a decent solid folding lock knife with at least a 75mm long 4 mm thick blade is essential.

Disagree over PDFs on smart phones (A) EMP (B) Thugs (C) Blast damage can render Smart phones useless, AND in London even without a disaster you risk being mugged if you pull out a nice Smart phone on the street. 300 a day are stolen in London . http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...n-every-day-in-london-crime-wave-8451693.html

Did you look at 911 and see how people struggled for HOURS simply to find enough water to wash the debris from their eyes and noses, never mind get a drink?

Season ticket / copy Yup most Londoners commute often for over 90 minute from as far away as Brighton, York and London, if they lose their tickets / season ticket ( flee office without jacket containing wallet) they can still access the rail system

Spring loaded punches are by far the best device for busting train / bus windows, glass doors, car door glass, toughened glass windows.

Jenn ( Hi by the way) Yes WALKING shoes like Merrells, Salomen etc proper "approach" shoes as we call em in the UK, proper rugged BROKEN IN walking shoes. On my PC I have saved images from 911 and details of men and women leaving Manhatton on foot on that dreadful day often walking tens of miles in offices shoes, high heels, stilettos, bare feet etc and suffering terribly with blisters and foot injuries. Most office workers prior to 911 were woefully ill equipped to get out of Manhattan on foot, shiny smooth soled office shoes, business suits but no water proofs or fleeces, millions were utterly reliant on heated trains, cabs, buses, tubes, offices and when the towers fell all that stopped.

Northern Raider: Good list. Just reading some of the responses - a few very light items to consider as well, if you have all the items on your list above - most things covered. Carry some water is good idea even if water bottle is only half full.

Cloth mask good for high smoke and dust areas and if epidemic like ebola breaks out. London is very high international visitor area. I have been in enclosed areas like in underground mines were blasting has gone wrong or dust explosion - one cant see and breath. also consider cheap sun glasses if you don't were spectacles.
Toilet paper - half role, my personal preference
Duck tape - small half size roll that is half used, paracord is easy to carry on person or built into clothing or hand luggage.

Wind up (crank) radios that have USB chargers and torch on them are common and some have fire making capacity as well - multiple uses and reduces number of items and reliance on batteries. Can get dark in subway if power goes.

I often post about woman who wear light clothing (short clothing like singlets and mini skirts etc) and high heel shoes - need to keep a map to the nearest shoe shop and do some raiding.

Northern Raider: Good list. Just reading some of the responses - a few very light items to consider as well, if you have all the items on your list above - most things covered. Carry some water is good idea even if water bottle is only half full.

Cloth mask good for high smoke and dust areas and if epidemic like ebola breaks out. London is very high international visitor area. I have been in enclosed areas like in underground mines were blasting has gone wrong or dust explosion - one cant see and breath. also consider cheap sun glasses if you don't were spectacles.
Toilet paper - half role, my personal preference
Duck tape - small half size roll that is half used, paracord is easy to carry on person or built into clothing or hand luggage.

Wind up (crank) radios that have USB chargers and torch on them are common and some have fire making capacity as well - multiple uses and reduces number of items and reliance on batteries. Can get dark in subway if power goes.

I often post about woman who wear light clothing (short clothing like singlets and mini skirts etc) and high heel shoes - need to keep a map to the nearest shoe shop and do some raiding.
Hi Hippo thanks for joining in.

CLOTH MASK, I think the FFP 3 N95 type masks are essential, I 100% agree we need masks to escape burning buildings or to avoid picking up contagious diseases, but after seeing the long term reports from NYC on the long term effects of medics, volunteers, authority workers, 911 staff developing chronic lung diseases from the inhaled debris of the towers my own belief is to get the absolute BEST disposable masks you can possibly get rather than the cheap charcoal impregnated cotton masks.

I don't carry TOILET PAPER its got limited use and is absolutely unhygienic in a disaster area, half the time we end up just spreading the crap about. I use a packet of QTY 72 sterile moist baby wipes which work far better than paper. I don't have them in my commuter kit just moist hand wipes, but if I go to places like London I do add them to my kit.

Good point DUCT TAPE / CABLE TIES/ PARACORD.

Good point about crankable radio guys.

What effort does it take to simply leave a fleece, litre of water, pair of broken in approach shoes in your city office permanently to augment your commuter kit if TSHTF ?

Jenn ( Hi by the way) Yes WALKING shoes like Merrells, Salomen etc proper "approach" shoes as we call em in the UK, proper rugged BROKEN IN walking shoes. On my PC I have saved images from 911 and details of men and women leaving Manhatton on foot on that dreadful day often walking tens of miles in offices shoes, high heels, stilettos, bare feet etc and suffering terribly with blisters and foot injuries. Most office workers prior to 911 were woefully ill equipped to get out of Manhattan on foot, shiny smooth soled office shoes, business suits but no water proofs or fleeces, millions were utterly reliant on heated trains, cabs, buses, tubes, offices and when the towers fell all that stopped.

That is exactly what my uncle said. He was a first responder on 911, And he said so many people who had escaped had nothing warm on them. Some women were barefoot because they had kicked off their heels to be more able to run.

That is exactly what my uncle said. He was a first responder on 911, And he said so many people who had escaped had nothing warm on them. Some women were barefoot because they had kicked off their heels to be more able to run.

Yup and the local prepper suppliers in the North East of the US soon started selling executive and office GHBs for business / city slickers that contained walking shoes, water resistant fleeces, bags of potable water, 95 grade masks, mini pry bars, FAKS, wipes, ration bars, eye protection, maps listing every possible pedestrian route out of NYC etc. There is a picture copy written to Reuters IIRC showing a bunch of debris covered office workers trying to walk across a Manhattan bridge on 911 and it showed about 5 women in their stocking feet and one dude with only one shoe on. Just imagine if the attack had happened in a bad winter ??? instead of a nice September day.

Last edited:
When it comes to knife def prep the Brits rock.
When it comes to Israel and the US they are not rocking but shooting. At work we use cut resistant gloves for certain tasks and chem resistant clothing - never occurred to me to get cut resistant cloths...

The terror incident on the subway had a lot of people in a tizz.

my EDC is made up of the following which stays in the car permanently:
2 foil blankets.
2 disposable lighters.
flashlight c/w batteries.
1` lock knife.
1 sawyer mini water filter.
1 spark striker.
2 light sticks.
1 dust mask.
1 sharpening stone.
F.A.K.
1 shelter/basha.
compass.
maps of every place we go to on a regular basis.
folding saw.
water bottle.
this is my own personal EDC based on personal experience and events.(if we go long distance -anything over 25 miles- we add food to the list.
I don't go into cities btw.

When it comes to Israel and the US they are not rocking but shooting. At work we use cut resistant gloves for certain tasks and chem resistant clothing - never occurred to me to get cut resistant cloths...

The terror incident on the subway had a lot of people in a tizz.

Your kidding arnt you? Brisbanes ethnic street knife crime is even known of in the UK, the Lebanese and other middle eastern migrants in OZ are noted for blades. The Merkins and Izzies can ONLY start shooting when the cutting has already started, that could be WAY to late. The slash proof gear saves you from injury in CQ attacks and gives you chance to run away (UK and OZ ) or draw and shoot ( IS and US)

Your kidding arnt you? Brisbanes ethnic street knife crime is even known of in the UK, the Lebanese and other middle eastern migrants in OZ are noted for blades. The Merkins and Izzies can ONLY start shooting when the cutting has already started, that could be WAY to late. The slash proof gear saves you from injury in CQ attacks and gives you chance to run away (UK and OZ ) or draw and shoot ( IS and US)
LOL, when I first landed in Australia 9 years ago the taxi drive Pakistani said you are safe in Australia and you are the danger in Australia not the Australians. He said he used to see knife and guns daily in Pakistan never seen one in Australia.

Yeah point taken. The last subway stabbing in UK - a large umber of police came and the guy refused to drop the knife and was eventually cornered and tasered then arrested. In Israel or US you have a few seconds to put the knife down or suffer death by multiple gun shot wounds.
In the time I have been in Australia violence has risen a lot mostly due to crack heads and people going mental and associated drug gangs, police are starting to shoot first and ask questions later, there has been a game change in the last 5 years. During normal business hours and in the rural areas you don't see any of it.

Another lad stabbed to death last night in Abingdon UK just a chap doing his weekly grocery shopping when in came some loon with two 12 inch knives and stabbed the complete stranger to death.

Urban Commuter Kit List

Below is a suggested basic kit for commuters in the UK, it can be adapted as required.

These kits have become the "must have" among city types since 911 and 7/7. The

Common sense bug has finally bitten many commuters and these few items are now

as essential as Gucci suits and handbags among the “in vogue” community, however

you do not need to be rich to have a commuter kit, just intelligent.

Bus / Train timetables and route map

Route Map of area (roads, paths, tow paths, cycle lanes etc)

Micro portable radio (get traffic updates, news reports), spare batteries

Pocket solar powered battery charger

Notebook with Taxis, Rail & Bus company Hospital and local Police numbers

Cycle route footpath / walkway guide.

Photocopy of season ticket / Oyster card in case of theft or loss.

Mobile Phone (never less than £20 credit)

LED Tactical flashlight and spare batteries (serrated bezel)

Tactical pen (pen / kubotan hybrid)

Compass

Multi tool

Small folding knife (UK SPEC non locking & under 3 inches)

Spring loaded Centre punch (glass breaking if stranded on crashed bus/ trains)

Permanent marker (Sharpie) leaving messages, marking route taken etc

4 Chemical light sticks

4 Snack meal bars (Cereal, chocolate, raisins, type)

Watch / Chronograph

Cash in case credit card system fails

A few sterile hand cleansing wipes

3 foldable dust masks/ Bandana

Spare eye glasses / contact lenses

Butane Lighter

A litre of bottled water, water filter straw

Walking shoes

Fold up pocket sized waterproof jacket/ poncho

Small first aid kit

Mini Pry bar

Gloves

Baseball Cap / Bush hat

Set of your prescription medicines.

No doubt many modern city folks will add PDA’s, Netpads, USB cable etc.
This is a great post! Gave me some food for thought. Thanks for posting this!

Gaz, I could be wrong BUT the Anti Rad potassium tabs only protect the THYROID gland from radiation, so I think if you need them in your kit cos you live near a reactor, then you should also edc a high quality mask / respirator so you are not inhaling particles of fallout as well.

You are correct. Not in case of a reactor, but more in case of an atomic attack. Granted, a good mask would help too.

These days, I'm really thinking about getting something like this: (bulletproof backpack)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...o=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1yjmdj3ziw_e_p12

Yep, a shooting starts, I'm running away. Shoot me in the back if you like a-hole....I'm gonna keep on running. :D

Latest posts

Back