Underground shelters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesSibley

Reaction score
What does everyone think of underground shelters? We are thinking of using shipping containers to build ours. Are they a good source to build them or is there something better?

if you don't mind getting your hands dirty send a PM to Brent S,think he's building a rootcellar with cinderblocks, a better option than those containers, thought my self also about those but if I ever builsd something underground it's gonna be blocks-rebar-concrete.

Would that really be stronger then shipping containers? And how versatile would it be in design you think? Also would it be cheaper?

Shipping containers really are not that strong. . . it's not like you can just dig a hole, stick it in and put dirt on top. It will need reinforcement or it will collapse. Heard of it happening many a times.

I knew I would have to reinforce the roof but I thought that was all. I was also gonna cut the walls out of some to make bigger rooms.

earth is mighty heavy,that I have found out looking at various info,you should not only reinforce the roof but the walls also, then you have moisture to think about..honestly I think they don't build underground cellars out of cinderblocks and concrete just for fun,but 'cause it works and is more stronger in the long run, those containers are I admit a faster option.
about versatility it's limited to your imagination only I think

If you google on using shipping containers for underground rooms - bunkers, if you will, you will find a wealth of information, much of which will suggest that you don't use them. One thing you have to decide first, however, is how far down do you want to put them. There are TONS of differences between having a couple of feet of soil on top and putting one 10' under.

Before putting a bunker underground one has to have in place a exit strategy! If one ever seen old westerns where a member of the posse gets on the roof and covers the chimney forcing smoke back into the hideout then you have seen the weakness of an enclosed underground bunker, the ventilation system is the achilles heel, running diesel fuel or similar in the ventilation and setting it ablaze will begin to suck the oxygen out or just plugging the ventilation pipes. One person can kill everyone hunkered down in them types of bunkers without firing a shot, I would prefer to die quick taking out as many parasites as I possibly can then to die a slow death.

build rather a rootcellar, roomy,with lots of space to store things,unless you are prepared to build it like a fox...lots of entrances and exits ;)

Danil54grl, jonette, pengyou, and maverick. Thanks to yall s help on here and the advice yall have given me to contact others on here I have decided along with my wife that shipping containers are not the way that we need to go. So it is back to the drawing board for us. Thank yall again so much for you knowledge on this. And reading back over some of my posts if I came off rude to anyone I was not meaning that in the least bit.

Danil54grl, jonette, pengyou, and maverick. Thanks to yall s help on here and the advice yall have given me to contact others on here I have decided along with my wife that shipping containers are not the way that we need to go. So it is back to the drawing board for us. Thank yall again so much for you knowledge on this. And reading back over some of my posts if I came off rude to anyone I was not meaning that in the least bit.

Containers would be great above ground, or you can go with something like this: http://doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/pre-cut-cabins-includes-delivery.4878/

I'm planning to build a small cabin on the back of the property, probably 16'wide by 40'long. My plan is to build a basement first of the same dimension, completely below grade, with a poured roof which will be the floor of the cabin. I have been collecting materials for this for a couple years now, and hope to start in about a year. I like the idea of your house being the storm shelter.

Problems with shipping containers....

1) Expensive to move and into place (need to have special trucks, cranes, etc.) Easily costing more than the containers themselves.

2) Need reinforcing (not just roof, but walls too).

3) Need to cut (a LOT) for ventilation, etc. And this requires welding tools and expertise.

4) Limited to shapes made with containers and width of containers.

Personally, I think you'd be better off going with concrete and rebar, and a poured roof. Cheaper (in the long run), safer, and more customizable. There's a reason we currently do underground construction this way.

hey, I didn't notice any rudeness,so for my part everything is ok :)
glad to be of any help :D

Placed a few more PDF's in the How To section for you CS. Also don't forget to download the ventilation stuff.

I wish I could post more of the shelter, but just as my shoulder got better, I had a spill on the motorcycle and broke a couple ribs. This just hasn't been a good season for me! I think my pride was hurt the most, and I did a little bit of damage to the new bike, but luckily it's nothing I can't fix. Anyways, I took the shelter and put a temporary roof over it and made it an impromptu dog house for the new dog I brought home. It's kind of a heavy duty dog house but is just fine till the ribs stop hurting so much. I was really hoping to have the roof at least formed before now, if not poured. Oh well, life has a way of slowing you down sometimes, but I guess the secret is to just keep moving forwards, even if it's slowly at times.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back