Underground shelters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, some appeal to the hobbit home

1-sustainable-hobbit-home-design.jpg

I could easily live underground, as long as I have things to occupy me I don't much care what I'm living in. I often look at those missile silos etc that people buy and think, yeah I could live there.

There are serious security issues though, not sure I'd be as keen in a WROL scenario unless it's been very well thought through.

The old silos would be very cool, I thought about buying one when they were cheap and very affordable years ago but that damn lingering question kept coming up 'are they still on a target list' the other problem, no resources around the silos, hunting for game, foraging would almost be impossible given the location of most.

Theres a cave on the Mnt side behind my home that native americans lived in there is a circle of rocks around it they carried out of it to get them out of thier way . Its just one large living room and because of how its situated the rain runs away from it and not into it . It use to be my Great Uncles land but since he died back in the 80's its changed hands and I nolonger go there . Great hunting and trapping there too .

The old silos would be very cool, I thought about buying one when they were cheap and very affordable years ago but that damn lingering question kept coming up 'are they still on a target list' the other problem, no resources around the silos, hunting for game, foraging would almost be impossible given the location of most.
Good point about the target list :)

Also they seem to always be in the middle of an open plane without so much as a bush in sight let alone any wildlife.

Now a cave on the side of a mountain, that's real livin'

Have you guys seen our undeground houses in places like Coober Pedy

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/coober-pedy-underground-homes.html

These are very cool (literally), just buy some land and start digging, or at least that's what you used to do, probably a 1000 building regs these days.

Talking more of a temporary shelter standpoint. Like for radiation to die down, etc. (or even a long, bad storm)
I agree, in a real emergency you could hole up in it, just hope I never see that. My long term goal here is to build a small cabin on the back of the property and rent out the house for some income in retirement. I want a really good quality cabin, but small. The main thing I want is a concrete basement with a poured roof under the cabin. It will double the size of livable space, and give me a great storm shelter/bunker area. I'm planning to do it just like the shelter I'm finishing now. I think I will do about a 12' wide by 36' long cabin, and have allready started playing with layout ideas, but the basement will be the same size. I'm lucky with the property here being long and skinny, and theres a hill in the middle, so you can't see the back from the house, and vice a versa. Having some privacy is nice. I also have an incline Back there sloping down to a creek that's about 12' wide, which makes it perfect for a cabin in the woods.

Latest posts

Back