Underground shelters

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping containers really are not that strong. . . it's not like you can just dig a hole, stick it in and put dirt on top. It will need reinforcement or it will collapse. Heard of it happening many a times.
That is mind boggling to me simply because those things can hold 50,000 pounds and can be stacked up to 8 high (maybe its 6 I don't remember for sure).

Yep, they are very strong at the corners, not very strong on the sides, pretty good on the floor and weak as piss on the roof. IIRC the spec calls for the roof to only be strong to hold 2 workmen of 120kgs each, and even then not standing next to each other. They are a lot stronger than that in general but you get the idea.

I have 3 containers and will soon buy a 4th, but we are building above ground.

If you allready have one it would be worth reinforcing it, but to buy one and still have to do that is a little pricey. The blocks were alot less than a container, and stronger so that's what I went with. I'm hoping the ribs heal and I can get back to forming for the pour on the roof in a couple weeks. I will total up everything I have in my 8' x 10' shelter, but allready know it's less than a container by far.

If you allready have one it would be worth reinforcing it, but to buy one and still have to do that is a little pricey. The blocks were alot less than a container, and stronger so that's what I went with. I'm hoping the ribs heal and I can get back to forming for the pour on the roof in a couple weeks. I will total up everything I have in my 8' x 10' shelter, but allready know it's less than a container by far.
I am very curious to see what it all totals up to. You should also try and calculate how many hours you put into it as well.

I am very curious to see what it all totals up to. You should also try and calculate how many hours you put into it as well.
The dollars are easy to calculate, but time??? Really, I don't have too many hours in it so far, but I would work for a little bit, then come back later and do a little more. I do wish I had thought to keep track of it now that you mention it. I'll come up with the cost shortly of what I've put in it so far.

Has anyone seen plans for a root cellar/basement/store room (whatever you want to call it) that can be covered with 10 feet of earth? Part of the issue is security related but part of it is to take advantage of a pretty constant cool temperature to store foods. Refrigeration might still be necessary but would require a lot less energy because the inside temp would be pretty low to begin with. I am thinking about 14' by 20' or 30', rectangular, with a rectangular house built on top of it...but would be perpendicular to the cellar.

why don't you send a PM to BrentS, he's building one, you'll get a lot of info from him I think...about the ceiling with that much soil on top I would go for an arch like construction...do it right and it will hold and hold....

Has anyone seen plans for a root cellar/basement/store room (whatever you want to call it) that can be covered with 10 feet of earth? Part of the issue is security related but part of it is to take advantage of a pretty constant cool temperature to store foods. Refrigeration might still be necessary but would require a lot less energy because the inside temp would be pretty low to begin with. I am thinking about 14' by 20' or 30', rectangular, with a rectangular house built on top of it...but would be perpendicular to the cellar.

Something similar to this? build it off-set from the house changing the access from within the house

offset.jpg
shelter1.jpg
shelter2.jpg

here's a link to some root cellars..there's one where someone used a school bus.i strongly suggest not using one if you don't go about it in the same way as they did..on account they will cave in when to much soil is on top of them..
https://www.google.com/search?q=blu...Fsurvival-blog%2Fbuild-root-cellar%2F;350;262

why don't you send a PM to BrentS, he's building one, you'll get a lot of info from him I think...about the ceiling with that much soil on top I would go for an arch like construction...do it right and it will hold and hold....
I agree the arch is a lot stronger than a flat roof. You can still do a flat roof, but some posts in the center of the spans are a good idea if you want a large room that is deep. A 6" thick rebar reinforced roof is really strong, but once you span over 10 ' I would put some sort of support column if going over four feet deep. I am not an engineer, and think paying one 125.00 to review your plans would be wise. I really don't think the structural concern is a problem, waterproofing may be a harder issue to solve, depending on where you are. I'm lucky that I had a hill to dig into, vs a deep hole as it makes it a lot easier for keeping it dry.

Thanks! I have not yet bought my land, and the possibility of buying land with steep enough hills is not too remote. I have also considered arched ceiling...I have seen corrugated steel that is used in drainage tunnels and even for small transportation tunnels...with a properly planned foundation/drainage system, cinder block walls and rebar reinforcement it looks like it would not be too difficult. What would make any kind of arch ceiling a really sweet deal is the ability to get preshaped rebar for it...rebar, corrugated steel with a couple of layers of reinforced concrete put over it.

Thanks! I have not yet bought my land, and the possibility of buying land with steep enough hills is not too remote. I have also considered arched ceiling...I have seen corrugated steel that is used in drainage tunnels and even for small transportation tunnels...with a properly planned foundation/drainage system, cinder block walls and rebar reinforcement it looks like it would not be too difficult. What would make any kind of arch ceiling a really sweet deal is the ability to get preshaped rebar for it...rebar, corrugated steel with a couple of layers of reinforced concrete put over it.
Rebar is pretty easy to bend yourself, a 20' stick is really flexible until it's got hardened concrete all around it.

I'd love to be able to afford an Atlas shelter. But unless I win the lotto, just seems an awful amount of money that can be spent on other preps (or things).

Latest posts

Back