Underground housing.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi fellow preppers I have a Question, has anyone discussed the benefits of living underground ? Some of our family have been living in an all modern" cave-house" for more than 30 years completely off the grid. some of the advantages are 70 degree temperatures year around no heating or cooling, built in solid rock. water from a well gravity feed to the house at 40 lbs pressure. if there is a thread on this subject i haven't found it. But I am not very good on a computer. open to comments. thank you Mountain scout.

Some have mentioned it, just not a dedicated thread.

what gazrok says..i think it'd be a good idea to start a new topic under off topic or What are you doing to prepare? or DIY and how ..
that way the topic will get more response'sto's

I see it has been a while since anything was added to this forum, but I recently came across something on the internet that fits in here. It seems that someone has found that you can buy old storage units the size of a semi trailer and turn them into homes. Someone on the internet got the idea of buying a few of them, having a hole big enough to hold them and had them lowered into the ground. The user was able to take sides off of the middle of the three and weld them together. this created a nice sized place below ground level. They made an entryway for entering the containers and then covered the containers with soil. The containers were deep enough that grass grew above the containers. With proper piping for air and exhaust for a generator, the user was able to create a perfect little hideaway for the end times.

The real expense is going to be the heavy equipment needed to move, position them, and transport them to the location in the first place. I can easily seeing this be triple the cost of the containers themselves, especially since you have to factor paying for the labor and those guys' expertise. Now add the cost of welding and cutting, and I'm really wondering if you wouldn't just be better off building such a shelter with concrete and rebar in the first place.

plus the shipping containers will (HAVE) to be reinforced to avoid collapsing after the soil is piled on top of it/them..plus the outside will have to made water proof and rust resistant...

The real expense is going to be the heavy equipment needed to move, position them, and transport them to the location in the first place. I can easily seeing this be triple the cost of the containers themselves, especially since you have to factor paying for the labor and those guys' expertise. Now add the cost of welding and cutting, and I'm really wondering if you wouldn't just be better off building such a shelter with concrete and rebar in the first place.
Which would be alot stronger as well.

I
hi fellow preppers I have a Question, has anyone discussed the benefits of living underground ? Some of our family have been living in an all modern" cave-house" for more than 30 years completely off the grid. some of the advantages are 70 degree temperatures year around no heating or cooling, built in solid rock. water from a well gravity feed to the house at 40 lbs pressure. if there is a thread on this subject i haven't found it. But I am not very good on a computer. open to comments. thank you Mountain scout.
I'd love to see some picts of some of the interior!

On one of the Doomsday Preppers episodes, there is a guy who made his shelter from those shipping containers, and if you pay attention, you can see where he had to buttress one of them as the sides were collapsing in. The rest of it was actually done up well, but I certainly remember this part of his shelter.

Me and my wife live in Colorado and are in the process of building the underground doomsday compound using connex containers and other material to build a 50 foot by 50 foot underground compound. Are actually looking for other preppers in our area.

Me and my wife live in Colorado and are in the process of building the underground doomsday compound using connex containers and other material to build a 50 foot by 50 foot underground compound. Are actually looking for other preppers in our area.
I am a long way from Colorado, but would like to hear how you're going to build. I posted a thread on the underground shelter I am building, but had an injury and had several weeks of recovery, so let it sit for a while. I'm finally better now and am starting work on it again. I'll keep posting as I move along on it. I'd love to see some pictures of what you're doing.

I am a long way from Colorado, but would like to hear how you're going to build. I posted a thread on the underground shelter I am building, but had an injury and had several weeks of recovery, so let it sit for a while. I'm finally better now and am starting work on it again. I'll keep posting as I move along on it. I'd love to see some pictures of what you're doing.
Can call me and discuss it anytime it's hard to explain typing it on here lol

Latest posts

Back