Underestimated Options of the Individual

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dies Irae

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time no see.

First of all english is not my native language so sorry for any mistakes ive made in the post below. If something wont be understandable then let me know and ill try to explain.

Lately I've been wondering about the belief of many that you and your family are able to secure the house and cultivatine the field. Meaning that the robber who attacks the house of an equipped prepper wont stand a chance or as we sometine say "guest into the house, stick into hand"

So let's imagine someone wants to choose you and lets make it a hell of a lot harder for him. It won't be 5 or 3 guys ... it will be an individual, a boy around 20 to a guy around 40. He will be completely slickly equipped with rags such as brown trousers, a black T-shirt ... just plain indistinct civilian rags + some knife, PET bottle, matches and some sleeping bag + we'll give the boy a firearm and again it won't be a hit. We give him something that some people like to laugh at in the comments, such as a crossbow, a forearm or a small-bore rifle. To make it as difficult as possible for him, he gets a forearm and classic sights (ie a weapon that only a fool chooses to survive) and so he can fire only once, the smoke reveals his position and he can't reload while lying down.

So imagine, for example, that you are watering your would-be self-sufficient land with your family and such a boy shoots at you. Maybe he'll do it by hitting the fittest and fleeing immediately, or he'll do it even more fictionally like the Finns during the CCCP war and just shoot a woman (guys can't stand it and always gather around), and even with a stupid hawken from Ardesa, he takes another shot and disappears.

You will probably decide to patrol by constantly looking around the corners of the house with a mirror to see if he is somewhere. And what if he's aiming at me from somewhere? How do you want to run your theory now that I eat what I grow? But the boy is no longer in your village, but he annois in another village, where he has a family similar to yours and does the same to them ... all he has to do is shoot (not kill at first) one and run away. And this is how he constantly moves among the prospective cottagers ... He'll get even 3 a day and untangle his sleeping bag in the evening and he will be the only one who sleeps peacefully. He wakes up in the morning and continues again, when suddenly in a few days it is your turn again.

If he repeatedly sucks you out so that you don't get out of the house all day but you don't want to leave the house because pigs, chickens ... my home and property and where to take it and how to move of it all? You have already failed.

The moment the boy sees that he has obviously weakened you a lot, you will notice in the evening that your corn or shed is burning (he won't burn what he wants to steal) Do you leave it to burn? or let jump on to the house? You climb out and you're done. Or do you know how burning sulfur stinks? You can't stand it inside a house.

The boy will then take whatever you have left and pack pasta and rice, etc. in PET bottles and dig up the supplies, because black boxes do work.

The boy has it very difficult, maybe he has to take care of someone and he is obviously not as well prepared as you are. Maybe he doesn't even eat every day and can't sleep by the fire. But he has a lot of time, he can brutally dry you up and most importantly he will use your emotional relationship to your property,family and your native lump ... And you can have as many weapons and ammo stacked as you like.

The only way you can make it harder for the boy are the classic combinations of shotgun trap + mousetrap + fishing line or a dog that can search by smell ... Or leave the house and have some jars that he will probably open first with some special ingredients.

So this is today's dose of fear and depression, and still imagine that there are people among us who are able to pour tens of thousands into technology such as night vision, etc.,

Most importantly they mostly dont reveal themselfes and just sit around forums like these and take notes.

Very astute. Your English is very good. Way better than my Czech. My self and many other preppers make security a major issue. There will always be psychopaths willing to murder people. After a shtf situation, murders will not die of old age waiting for the supreme court to hear their appeals.

Hi, DiesIrae, not heard from you for a while now. Glad to hear you are doing ok.
Good idea for a bad scenario. There will always be the security problem. You need cameras for close-up info, binoculars for faraway info and dogs for info you cannot hear or smell...the security cannot stand on only one leg. Your line of thought is scary but very possible.
IF and WHEN such happens, the way out is booby traps, poison and waiting yourself hidden in a place you have prepared for just a scenario. About 50 meters from the line of approach, hidden in a well camoflaged place, clear line of fire, maybe an explosive if there are more that one or two people or a flame thrower made from a fire-extinguisher...
Make them think you have bugged-out, leave the door open and leave enough little things to make it interesting to go in and collect. Let them have their hands SO FULL with the little crap...that they cannot carry their guns in the ready position...AND LET THEM HAVE IT FULL AUTO...
Be wary of coming around my place: live free, Gary

I know there is a lot of ifs,or and butts ( pun intended :) ) still its just a scenario to show that even one person with little to no equipment and training can make your life hell on earth.

Another thing that bogles my mind are people that spend insane amount of money to buy guns/ammo/equipment but never buy a course or training session to get to know how to use all that.

Hi, DiesIrae, not heard from you for a while now. Glad to hear you are doing ok.
Good idea for a bad scenario. There will always be the security problem. You need cameras for close-up info, binoculars for faraway info and dogs for info you cannot hear or smell...the security cannot stand on only one leg. Your line of thought is scary but very possible.
IF and WHEN such happens, the way out is booby traps, poison and waiting yourself hidden in a place you have prepared for just a scenario. About 50 meters from the line of approach, hidden in a well camoflaged place, clear line of fire, maybe an explosive if there are more that one or two people or a flame thrower made from a fire-extinguisher...
Make them think you have bugged-out, leave the door open and leave enough little things to make it interesting to go in and collect. Let them have their hands SO FULL with the little crap...that they cannot carry their guns in the ready position...AND LET THEM HAVE IT FULL AUTO...
Be wary of coming around my place: live free, Gary
Im still alive and well no need to worry :) had to stop visiting for a while because life got in the way.

And dont worry ... I have no interest in raiding random people for a chance of surviving and getting something meaningfull out of it. And im sure as hell not gonna go raid any germans... Ive seen how it looks like when you guys get angry 😁

Hello everyone, long time no see.

First of all english is not my native language so sorry for any mistakes ive made in the post below. If something wont be understandable then let me know and ill try to explain.

Lately I've been wondering about the belief of many that you and your family are able to secure the house and cultivatine the field. Meaning that the robber who attacks the house of an equipped prepper wont stand a chance or as we sometine say "guest into the house, stick into hand"

So let's imagine someone wants to choose you and lets make it a hell of a lot harder for him. It won't be 5 or 3 guys ... it will be an individual, a boy around 20 to a guy around 40. He will be completely slickly equipped with rags such as brown trousers, a black T-shirt ... just plain indistinct civilian rags + some knife, PET bottle, matches and some sleeping bag + we'll give the boy a firearm and again it won't be a hit. We give him something that some people like to laugh at in the comments, such as a crossbow, a forearm or a small-bore rifle. To make it as difficult as possible for him, he gets a forearm and classic sights (ie a weapon that only a fool chooses to survive) and so he can fire only once, the smoke reveals his position and he can't reload while lying down.

So imagine, for example, that you are watering your would-be self-sufficient land with your family and such a boy shoots at you. Maybe he'll do it by hitting the fittest and fleeing immediately, or he'll do it even more fictionally like the Finns during the CCCP war and just shoot a woman (guys can't stand it and always gather around), and even with a stupid hawken from Ardesa, he takes another shot and disappears.

You will probably decide to patrol by constantly looking around the corners of the house with a mirror to see if he is somewhere. And what if he's aiming at me from somewhere? How do you want to run your theory now that I eat what I grow? But the boy is no longer in your village, but he annois in another village, where he has a family similar to yours and does the same to them ... all he has to do is shoot (not kill at first) one and run away. And this is how he constantly moves among the prospective cottagers ... He'll get even 3 a day and untangle his sleeping bag in the evening and he will be the only one who sleeps peacefully. He wakes up in the morning and continues again, when suddenly in a few days it is your turn again.

If he repeatedly sucks you out so that you don't get out of the house all day but you don't want to leave the house because pigs, chickens ... my home and property and where to take it and how to move of it all? You have already failed.

The moment the boy sees that he has obviously weakened you a lot, you will notice in the evening that your corn or shed is burning (he won't burn what he wants to steal) Do you leave it to burn? or let jump on to the house? You climb out and you're done. Or do you know how burning sulfur stinks? You can't stand it inside a house.

The boy will then take whatever you have left and pack pasta and rice, etc. in PET bottles and dig up the supplies, because black boxes do work.

The boy has it very difficult, maybe he has to take care of someone and he is obviously not as well prepared as you are. Maybe he doesn't even eat every day and can't sleep by the fire. But he has a lot of time, he can brutally dry you up and most importantly he will use your emotional relationship to your property,family and your native lump ... And you can have as many weapons and ammo stacked as you like.

The only way you can make it harder for the boy are the classic combinations of shotgun trap + mousetrap + fishing line or a dog that can search by smell ... Or leave the house and have some jars that he will probably open first with some special ingredients.

So this is today's dose of fear and depression, and still imagine that there are people among us who are able to pour tens of thousands into technology such as night vision, etc.,

Most importantly they mostly dont reveal themselfes and just sit around forums like these and take notes.
Sadly When the time comes it just won’t be one young man looking to violate your property and what ever else. Mob mentality historically means that you’ll be dealing with whole gangs who just ravage and plunder from one property to the next.

Definately agree. Ideally you need automated security guards. The next best thing is a very good security system. There are several technologies that are becoming cheaper and easier to integrate into security systems like geophones. Most security cameras today operate in the infrared spectrum and have IR emitters for night-time surveillance. There are plenty of motion detection systems that can be used with cameras. You can have traditional motion detectors, break beam sensors, magnetic reed switches for gates. Put a small accelerometer on a fence to monitor for someone brushing or climbing it.

Of course all of this requires maintaining some level of power and costs some dough. I think it will be very difficult for most families to run a homestead and provide adequate security. Neighborhood security groups are another potential solution.

Neighborhood security groups are another potential solution.

Agree! Security cameras and large groups who formed prior to SHTF. We have a combination of a large group who will gather as well as a surveillance system of cameras...which run off solar. Even with the most advanced surveillance, a single person could not defend his property. Even a small family in my opinion. Especially if you have animals and gardens to keep watch over.

Last edited:
Best defense against this scenario is to have a single hardened dwelling, at least half underground, on a prairie or small hill. No woods, no cover of any kind for attackers. No trees, no gullies, no outbuildings nearby. A watch tower would be nice. You could ring the structure with garden. The downside is that such an area has no wild game, and no outbuildings means no large livestock. You are also easy to find.

The best defense is never to be seen or heard.
The best reaction to an attack is to absolutely destroy without any witnesses, make it look like it was all a trap and the winners have left the area of operation on another route and return to your hiding place with the leftovers and spoils of war.
Bullets have no fingerprints, leave no footprints and no traces...live free, Gary

Select terrain that is easily defensible.

Enhance those natural strongpoints and harden structures.

Have adequate personnel to maintain 24/7 360-degree security. Hopefully beyond line of sight of your structures.

Minimize the visual signature of your location.

Maintain PERSEC/OPSEC

Wargame possible attacks and responses.

Leverage technology - cameras, thermal, nv, motion detectors.

Those are some of the things to look at to increase likelihood of surviving in a world where folks are attacking others for their resources. It's not done overnight, and you don't just stumble your way into it. Do YOU need all of the above? Maybe/probably not. Unless you are facing committed attackers.

Latest posts

Back