Under ground shelter/root cellar

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished an addition to my cellar which has decreased the internal temp by several degrees. The temp was around 75 but now with 2 12dc ventilation fans running off a well hidden solar panel which feeds a battery the temp after 11 days of continuous running brings the temp down to 62 during the day and as low as 51 at night. Seems the temp inside stays about 12-15 degrees cooler than the temp outside. No signs of rust yet on any of the cans and the cans that are aluminium are all seperate from those that are steel. don't want to add anything that requires power from the outside and i'm still searching for something natural that will keep the humidity down. There's got to be something out there that will do this without the need for a powered dehumidifier which will increase temp.
Waiting for the mansanita to increase in size and planting privot and berries at the entrance. Behind the house is a fairly large pond which right now has a few cups of water in it. The opening is on the inside of the pond where it climbs to a crest and the berries are natural there. The privot grows crazy on the other side of the pond and on the north side. Adding the privot around the exit and the berries to replace what I moved during the the dig. Pretty much looks very concealed with natural cover which was always there. didn't want to add anything that wasn't native to the area. In a couple months or sooner it will look as if nothing is there and I assumed if there was a man made attack of some kind facing away from the city (Fresno) would be my best bet for the survival of the shelter. The opening is supposed to be able to handle up to 250 mph hour winds. The openings are protected as well by the rise of the hill.
Water is definately a concern because a year ago when the well was drilled the water table was quite high and my pump was handling a 1200 gl tank located 440ft below the house tank and the house tank which is 80 gl with 2 check valves. The water table is low now that filling the 1200 gl tank lowers the water level low enough and picks up black sand. No more using that tank, just not enough water. Without the 1200 gl tank we are ok but what about in 6 months or a year? where will the level be then? The ranch across the road has 3 wells and 3 tanks and uses much more water than me. Some do a good job of conserving water but others, it's business as usual.
My well and pump are 500 feet away from the house and 440 feet lower. It has a faucet and 3 times this month I have found beer cans and twice recovered a plastic container that was left there. I need to hurry and get my 4 wireless cameras mounted and working. I don't like having the well and pump where I cannot see it nor protect it. That will have to be altered and more secure. In the event that something collapses water will be at the top of everyone's list as a "high priority" need so your well and pump will be a primary target to those who need water ASAP.
Still have much to work on and i'm sure as I fix this i see a need to fix that, or improve or alter things as I go. It's all fun but serious at the same time.
Will be starting an alteration of my 12x14 shed, turning it into a walk-in faraday. I should have added screen material to the hide-out before it got covered over, at least a small section.

Your good decisions you make today may be all wrong later or vise-versa and decisions you think are not so good today may end up being the decision that fit the situation later and save your life.
We all do what we can and pray it's good, that's what I do.
Need to get some more copper power cels completed too............Much to work on and the schedule is getting tighter. As Richard Dolan say's, and many others too, the key has been inserted into the lock of the door, all that is left now is to turn the lock and open the door. God be with you all and may he show you the path to survive.

Latest posts

Back