Trying to understand freeze dried food options

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes ye Americans are bigger and better. šŸ˜
The junk we get here, we have to buy 10 at a time.
Swing-A-Way makes good normal sized can openers too, probably the best can openers made by anyone at any price. Or at least they used to. The old ones just work, they don't slip off or fail to cut the lid like every other brand I've used. I mean seriously, if they can do it, why can't anyone else??? And they last forever if you keep the cutters clean and dry. Since I started using Swing-A-Ways, I ditched my electric can opener and haven't felt the need for one since.

But I have been hearing complaints about the new Swing-A-Ways that sound like the problems every other brand has. I sure hope they get their QC straightened out, I might need a new one in ten years or so, LOL.

Swing-A-Way makes good normal sized can openers too, probably the best can openers made by anyone at any price. Or at least they used to. The old ones just work, they don't slip off or fail to cut the lid like every other brand I've used. I mean seriously, if they can do it, why can't anyone else??? And they last forever if you keep the cutters clean and dry. Since I started using Swing-A-Ways, I ditched my electric can opener and haven't felt the need for one since.

But I have been hearing complaints about the new Swing-A-Ways that sound like the problems every other brand has. I sure hope they get their QC straightened out, I might need a new one in ten years or so, LOL.
Money, the more they break the more they make.

I have a Swing-a-Way mounted on the kitchen door at our cabin. Just installed it today. Love Swing-a-Ways. Been using one for most of my adult life and have one here at my city home as well. They perform consistently and well.........you can swing them out of the way! With two broken wrist surgeries, I find cranking is easier than the twisting required with hand-held openers. I have to use a hand wringer for laundry at my cabin, too, for the sme reason. Just can't hand wring or twist things anymore. My husband has to open all jars for me now. :)

People said the quality went down when they started making them in China, but mine was made in China and it has been working fine for years.

I have a Chinese made ATV. The engine and transmission are of decent quality, but other assemblies, such as the tire rims and cargo racks, must have been done by Mr. Wang after he drank too much rice wine.

Hello,
Probably a topic that has been well covered on here, but as a new member I am looking for guidance.
I'm searching for the best option in purchased dried food buckets. As usual the internet is information overload and everyone thinks they have the best product. Any thoughts on how to balance quality with nutrition with price amoung all of the options out there?
Thanx
If you add up the costs of getting an adequate supply of freeze-dried foods, a Harvest Right freeze dryer makes sense. The up front cost is a bit steep (you can get a small for <$2000 including everything you need to get going), but in the long run it pays for itself. I started with a small one, and I liked it so much I bit the bullet and got a large one because when produce comes in, I fill it up. Right now I am converting ground meat (sausage) from frozen to freeze dried because I am trying to shrink my freezer storage down to one unit. Just a thought. Of course, I also have canned goods (both purchased and glass jars that I canned) and dry goods in air-tight containers. Variety is great.
Typically it does take a month for Harvest Right to build and deliver their units, but IMO it is worth it. And no, I don't get paid by them. Their stuff is made in Utah.

Sorry, just realized this is an old thread... Any way to delete?

These are the ones I order from, I buy in #10 cans and 5 and 6 gallon buckets. Remember, the servings are 1/2 cup and that's fine if you do nothing but sit, if your chopping wood (example) you would need to double that to one cup so, if you buy one case of 6 #10 cans you need two cases for heavy activities. DON'T forget the water

Example, a 4 person 72hr bucket from Augason Farms will take 11 gallons of water. Don't just buy freeze dried food without thinking of the water and water storage.

Mountain House
https://www.mountainhouse.com/
Augason Farms
https://www.augasonfarms.com/
Emergency Essentials
https://beprepared.com/
My Patriot Supply
https://mypatriotsupply.com/
Thanks I will have to try my patriot supply.
Have tried Mountain and Augason Farms. I just tried this one. Its really good if you like strawberry.

1664953850727.png

https://freedomgear.org/product/helixx-freeze-dried-survival-food/

I will say at least for now, I've stopped ordering the bulk stuff online from places like 4 patriots, etc..the shipping costs on top of the food costs (even when they say big sale) are too much for my pocket book tight now....last heirloom seeds I ordered from there, I about had a heart attack over the shipping cost for a small bag of variety seeds. No seeds even sprouted from them so far that I planted. I haven't chanced the rest yet. I've gone to buying stuff in bulk, as much veggies and fruits as I can and meats in bulk for canning, vacuum sealing, and dehydrating. Freeze dryer is on my list but other things are more of a priority right now. I will look at mountain house though oddcaliber! Only because you said is very good!

If the information is useful and correct, why would you want to delete it?
I accidentally posted it twice. :)
I will say at least for now, I've stopped ordering the bulk stuff online from places like 4 patriots, etc..the shipping costs on top of the food costs (even when they say big sale) are too much for my pocket book tight now....last heirloom seeds I ordered from there, I about had a heart attack over the shipping cost for a small bag of variety seeds. No seeds even sprouted from them so far that I planted. I haven't chanced the rest yet. I've gone to buying stuff in bulk, as much veggies and fruits as I can and meats in bulk for canning, vacuum sealing, and dehydrating. Freeze dryer is on my list but other things are more of a priority right now. I will look at mountain house though oddcaliber! Only because you said is very good!
Freeze dry is on my list too. But busy with other expenses first.

Latest posts

Back