2m & 70cm (440) Trying for the Birds!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
Trying to make contacts through satellites is not the easiest thing in the world, and can have its own pitfalls. However, it is quite a rush when a contact is made. In the attached video you will find some good lessons to better help with the birds. It is my opinion that if you can master birds you will be the better when trying to communicate with others who are a bit closer, and who knows if the repeaters here on earth go toes up, perhaps satellites will be all that is left!

Dont understand much about ham radio but i did read the other day that the Elon Musk Starlink satellite constellation is likely to be suitable for Hams to broadcast HAM> PC> Starlink Home HUB> Starlink Satellite> then down to other internet / ham connected people and back again.

We have one of those hand held antennas that we've used to communicate with the satellite making a pass. Remember well walking in our driveway with the big antenna trying to make the satellite pass.

Husband just retired from managing satellite programs, his lifelong career, so this is a personal fun thing for him. And we are hams.

In 2019 I retired from the VLA. Kind'a like tracking satellites to a higher level and 100's of light years away. 28 huge dishes 94 feet tall, 84 feet across and 230 tons of steel. Go to youtube and watch "Beyond the Visible" a 22 min. video about the VLA.

Latest posts

Back