Trapping. Or the silent methods for taking game and fish

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A late night in the fur shed again.
20211111_170710.jpg

I found a new book that I'd like to order; Snaring for Survival by Newt Sterling.
It covers rabbits, wild hogs, deer, bear, etc and many fur bearers. It has a chart for cable diameter, loop size and sets for each animal.

While I was digging out my ermine and mink boxes this morning I found where my grandson wrote his initials on a couple weasel boxes. Hopefully this storm will blow over soon and I'll get some traps out. If the boy catches an ermine I'll have it mounted for him.

It finally quit snowing last night, and today and tomorrow are supposed to be clear. Temps down to to 10-15 below zero. They're calling for another 2 feet of snow starting Monday.
I'm going try and get out some bobcat and ermine set out today and tomorrow. Been seeing a lot of bobcat, weasel, coyote and fox tracks around.

I'm Australian and almost everything like this is against the law because of native animal by catch.....BUT..they are tasty little critters.
That being said I was raised by parents...mostly my dad who believed in a few things....Thou shall not get caught, thou shall cover thou arse and it's better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission.

Dad and his whole family came over from Europe after WWII and the whole family knows what it's like to live in a war zone under famine conditions.]
Trust me, no stinking laws were going to stop them from feeding themselves. They passed that mindset onto the kids in the family.
I've been taught snaring from a early age, how to dress game and how to care for the meat.
I've been looking at low energy ways of collecting as many calories as possible with the least expenditure of calories.
And, in a survival situation you need to gain more calories than the calories you expend to collect those calories.
Calorie deficit is where you lose weight and that's bad.
Passive calorie collection is best for SHTF.
Trapping, snaring, set line fishing, trot lines are all ways of passively collecting calories and they're all reasonably stealth.

Latest posts

Back