Trapping birds

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolnor

Reaction score
I bought a trapp for birds on ebay, its a steel and net-construction. Its like a mouse-trap. I wonder what should I use for bait? Its for smaller birds, not birds of prey. I need to attach the bait to a small piece of wire. Crows would be easy I think they eat almost anything. I think it could be used for minks and squirrels and other small animals as well but they can chew them self out from the net if you not watch it. I think I can use it in a war-situation if I seek protection in the woods.

anything like a squirrel is going to tear the ever-living hell out of the net - I've accidentally trapped a few in the live cage and it's violent as hell ....

there's UTubes on DIY construction of those netting machines - uses a rat trap and a hooped net - I know other animals would be a problem ....

don't negate using a gill net for catching small birds - start a feed pile and figure out their glide path into feeding - string the net across >>>>

Thanx. I think birds are good eating, we have badgers here and I also have a coonibear trap but badgers can have parasites. If you cook the meat its not dangerous but its not apitating. Foxes are very few here, I dony´t know about the meat in them. Offcourse you can eat anything if its a life and death situation. Is there a risc of catching larger animals, like the head of a deer in a coonibear trap? If it dies no problem but it could uggly if it does not die.

If you're talking large birds like duck or goose they'd be worth trapping and eating. While I love to go dove hunting and they're one of the tastiest birds out there it's obviously not an option. Not only is it a waste of shotgun shells it's also loud as hell.
Personally I'd set my sights on steel jaw traps,rat traps for squirrels and Yo-Yo's for fishing. They're all tried and true methods and you'll get a lot more usable protein out of them.
It wouldnt be a bad Idea to carry a pellet rifle if your out checking your traps. You just might run into some tasty birds or squirrels and maybe a rabbit.
It always seems like you run into those situations when your not expecting them.

Thanx. What bait do you use for squirrels? I have large ray-traps I could try. Is there any meat on a squirrel?

Thanx. What bait do you use for squirrels? I have large ray-traps I could try. Is there any meat on a squirrel?

It's always a good idea to match your bait to the nuts off the tree peanut butter works well for holding the bait in place. A good practice is to mount two back to back so you get em coming or going.
Screw the traps down on a decent sized limb and you're set.

Depends on the squirrel, the most common squirrels here in Texas are the Eastern Grey and the Fox Squirrel both of which have a decent amount of meat on em. You'll need two per person but they're plentiful.
We look for bottom land with lots of hardwoods that bear nuts.
It's also a good idea to watch them and find their chosen paths on the tree limbs if possible.

OK. How do you prepare these? You need to skin them, do you grill, fry? We have red/orange squirrels, they are probably smaller then the ones you have but two is probably a meal.

OK. How do you prepare these? You need to skin them, do you grill, fry? We have red/orange squirrels, they are probably smaller then the ones you have but two is probably a meal.

You skin them and cook them like you would any other piece of meat.
On a grill works well or you can cook em on a skewer over a fire.
If you dont get enough of em to feed everyone you can make a stew.

Skinning them is easy. While I could describe the process you'll be better off watching YouTube videos.
It's way easier when you have a visual aid.

In Texas a lot of people eat squirrel. During the depression it was very common.
They're actually very tasty. It's was common to make squirrel and dumplings when chicken wasn't available.

Funny you bring up internet info. The Wife and I were just discussing what we'd do if we were to lose that valuable info tool.
Buying a bunch of books on various subjects would get damn expensive real quick and I sure as hell dont trust my 56 year old mind to hold it all.
I think the best way would be to start copying any and all pertinent info you come across online.

I've been doing that for over a year now. It takes a long time! Printed some (for easy convenience during remote site use). Put the lion's share on a 1TB thumb drive for easy off-line reading on a laptop (that I can run thanks to a solar charger that's at our BOL). I come across huge lists of downloadable docs on prepper forums, on homesteading websites and survival forums and the like.

My granny loved chicken-fried squirrel with biscuits and cream gravy for BREAKFAST! She skinned them herself. I'm not crazy about squirrel, but have eaten it many a time when she was living. It would sure do if you were hungry.

Never had it for breakfast, but shot, skinned and fried more than a few squirrels in my younger days. Haven’t had any for close to 40 years. Would have zero problem snaring squirrels and cooking them! Won’t be shooting, so as to be quiet.

I've been doing that for over a year now. It takes a long time! Printed some (for easy convenience during remote site use). Put the lion's share on a 1TB thumb drive for easy off-line reading on a laptop (that I can run thanks to a solar charger that's at our BOL). I come across huge lists of downloadable docs on prepper forums, on homesteading websites and survival forums and the like.

I have all of my books in print and digital, which I’ve put on two thumb drives. Please be sure to keep yours in an EMP safe container.

We have no idea what our fake president, the DS or even Russia or China are going to launch at us! Not to mention what the sun could do! If you have solar up and exposed, you might want to get a back up for the inverter and charge controller. Most experts say the panels themselves should not be affected.

Oh, we do have a faraday container for small electricals and batteries. We, too, have a bookshelf full of survival type books down there. Don't have a solar setup for the cabin's power, but just a portable charger for phones and laptop. We keep all those in the faraday can when not recharging or actually using.

Last edited:
You skin them and cook them like you would any other piece of meat.
On a grill works well or you can cook em on a skewer over a fire.
If you dont get enough of em to feed everyone you can make a stew.

Skinning them is easy. While I could describe the process you'll be better off watching YouTube videos.
It's way easier when you have a visual aid.

In Texas a lot of people eat squirrel. During the depression it was very common.
They're actually very tasty. It's was common to make squirrel and dumplings when chicken wasn't available.
Thanx. I see comment here that red squirrel are very little meat on. We do have a lot of them in the forrests so it is probably OK if I dont have anything else to eat. They eat nuts so this could be making the meat taste good, in Italy they have famous pigs that are a delicasy and they eat only nuts. I wonder if you can trap wolfs with a large coonibear trap? Snap their neck? Fishing is easier, we have a lot of lakes, a net is probably most succesfull. I have done a lot if fishing with a rod, to get larger fish you often have to do it a whole day. At the west coast there is cod, thats easy to get several in a day with a rod.

Thanx. I see comment here that red squirrel are very little meat on. We do have a lot of them in the forrests so it is probably OK if I dont have anything else to eat. They eat nuts so this could be making the meat taste good, in Italy they have famous pigs that are a delicasy and they eat only nuts. I wonder if you can trap wolfs with a large coonibear trap? Snap their neck? Fishing is easier, we have a lot of lakes, a net is probably most succesfull. I have done a lot if fishing with a rod, to get larger fish you often have to do it a whole day. At the west coast there is cod, thats easy to get several in a day with a rod.

I've always been a big fan of Yo-Yo's.
Simple to use and there's no need to watch over em since they're spring loaded.

Latest posts

Back