Top priorities on your bug out land

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
I've been looking for a while for the perfect spot for my families bug out land and I think I found it but its 3 and a half hr away from us. Do you believe this to far away I can get to it from the interstate and my second thought is what should I put on the land first in case we did have to move there and I figure I will end up with most of my wife's and mine family there with us. Thanks for looking any suggestions would help.

Shelter, water, and food are the main things, since you’re in FL I'd put water first before shelter I live about 4hr drive north of Ft. Walton Beach it doesn't get that cold even in the winter you could survive with a tent and a camp fire, and if you had water there first you could survive until you could build a shelter. When you say 3 1/2 hours is that driving? Because thats about a week or so walking if for some reason you can't drive. For me that's a long way, but I'm old and fat so I'm staying put.

I have been to FL a hand full of times on vacation. One thing I found is total grid lock on the highways even with a minor car crash. I cant fathom what the roads would be like there if everyone hit the road at the same time. It may take a week to drive an average 3.5 hour trip! Then if you had to pack supplies and drag along a trailer to get it all to the bug out location that would add to the problem.
Remember to look at the basics: Water, Food, Shelter, Security. You realize being in FL when the SHTF happens there will be a tropical storm that hits at the same time just to make things interesting!

I've been looking for a while for the perfect spot for my families bug out land and I think I found it but its 3 and a half hr away from us. Do you believe this to far away I can get to it from the interstate and my second thought is what should I put on the land first in case we did have to move there and I figure I will end up with most of my wife's and mine family there with us. Thanks for looking any suggestions would help.
For me what is most important for land is having water, secure location, ability to grow food, shelter. Water and security being the top priority.

I have to agree with Clyde, a secure location would be my top priority. When I read that you could access the property from the interstate, I got a knot in my stomach. If you can access it from the interstate it is probable that some not-so-desirable folks may access your property as well....just my two cents.
Being in FL you do have some awesome advantages...you can drill a well with a well-point and put a hand pump on it, securing your water fairly quickly and thats a huge asset. Knowing that you can grow a garden year-round would have me stocking up on Heirloom seeds and having them stored on the property, as well as garden tools. You will also need weapons, be it a compound bow or guns w/ ammo, animal traps are crude but will afford you a food source without using up your valuable ammo.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Yes I am concerned about how long it would take me to get there and it is right off the interstate so security would be important but I put the list like this water shelter power food security sanitation and if I could do a little at a time hopefully it would be ready if needed it is a big plot so there would be plenty to do.

like Shenandoah mentioned.the interstate could mean missfits showing up.so if you buy it.might try hideing the entrance way if you can..another form of transpertaion you might try if your already liveing where you can use it to your advantage..air boat on the water ways there might prove usefull

WHen purchasing my BOL, I looked at all the possibilities as well and security w/privacy was tops on my list. I can dig a water well just about anywhere and grow crops once I get water and build a shelter, but if it you cant secure it all of that means nothing. Like said if you can make an entrance that's not noticeable then that would be the way to go. Or look for a different location even if its not as big a pc of property but maybe a better location. Just my .02 cents worth.

For me, I'd be as far from the Interstate as I could be. Something to consider would be possibly having a family member live on the property to act as a caretaker to insure no one comes messing around when you aren't there. If you have someone there you could start gardening and building up small livestock after you've secured your water sources and put up shelter. If you plan on having a number of people there, you'll need a good amount of arable land for your food crops as well as feed for whatever stock you have.

fast growing tree's on the property line came up in a diffrent subject.and i been thinking about that..if a person did go with that.itd be a good idea to make sure thier tree's of that area..

Bamboo is fast growing and very usefull but if your not careful some varities will take over everything and once established it is hard to get rid of.

The land that I was interested inhad been cleared except the tree line on the intrerstae but from the pics its not very thick.I was thinking of putting barbed wire around the property to help with security as far as having someone live there its not an option wish it was as far as a well goes looked into it but not sure how far down the water table is and can't find any info online about it as far as bamboo goes it does grow great here but it does just spread and with me only being able togo there probably every other weekend it would be more harm than help after it has been established. I also thought of digging a treanch around the property line.

i hear if you put in a concrect border that goes at least 3 feet deep that'll keep it from spreeding into where you dont want it to.but that'll alone will cost money

Good idea about the tree border. Here's food for thought, Loblolly pines are fast growing trees and can be thin cut if needed to get them to grow bigger. THey are also a valuable s0urce of renewable income. They grow very good in the south, however you may have to row em up to get them up out of the water if you have swamps. They would make a very good border b/c they get thick as thieves, and if you don't keep the under brush out you wouldn't be able to see 5 ft pass the 1st row of trees.

If you decide to plant trees be sure to plant something that's naturally grows in the area, you wouldn't want a pine thicket in the middle of an oak forest that would stick out like a sore thumb in the winter and it might draw unwanted attention.

True that Wild Man but in the south timber is one our most valued commodities and so pine plantations mixed w/native hardwoods is not out of the ordinary. However, like you said, make sure its something that would work in your neck of the woods.

Since my husband and I moved out to his uncle's land, and he already has a water well, I've been thinking of (when I actually find a job to help, of course) getting either a wind generator or solar panels to work the well in the event the power grid goes down. Otherwise, I'll be boiling and straining water for cooking/drinking.

Plants and Fruit Trees.

We have some veggies lined up, sweet and regular potatos, and a bunch of fruit trees.
Still have to build a wall since our property is by a side road (about 5 minutes by car inward from the mainroad).
Water is not an issue at the moment since we have a deepwell.

Source of protein is our top priority now. Looking at Tilapia. but still have to build that pond

Latest posts

Back