Tips,Tricks and Facts

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dies Irae

Reaction score
About 2 days back i watched a video with some usefull facts that can help or save life one day.So i thought it would be nice to have something like that in here too.
Its general stuff that most people already know but its always good to be reminded.
Posting 10 now but if people will like the idea i will post few more on daily basis and feel free to contribute.

1. You can:

Survive for 3 Minutes without air or in icy water.
Survive for 3 Hours without shelter in a harsh environment (unless in icy water)
Survive for 3 Days without water (if sheltered from a harsh environment)
Survive for 3 Weeks without food (if you have water and shelter)

2. Don't eat snow for hydration unless desperate!

3. Don't remove sharp objects if you get stabbed or impaled

4. Most house fire deaths come from smoke inhalation and not burns. Keep your head low.

5. Heat transfers faster through liquid than gas, so keep warm by staying dry.

6. Super glue can temporarily seal a wound during an emergency.

7. Always know where the emergency exit is

8. When stuck in a riptide, swim parallel to shore.

9. If you are in a survival situation, breathe through your nose and not your mouth.

10. When a dog wags its tail, it does not always mean that it is being friendly.

Not sure if im posting in the right section ... admins please move this thread where it belongs. Thank you

uuuh,dog fighting??

No. More like criminal-eating training. Call it police dog training, military training, bite work... There are formal systems for this, 'ring sport' is one of them. Never even thought of it as dog fights, but I can see where someone would go there. The dogs are never trained to go after other dogs, but they love to bite bad guys. Chomp, chomp, chomp! There are multiple methods, 'ring sport', 'schultzhund', 'mondio'...

1. If you're ever charged by a moose get behind a tree.They have about 10 inch blind spot and will loose you.

2. If chased by a polar bear intermittently drop pieces of clothing.It will stop to sniff them.Normal hunt prey is not sheding themselfes while running.

3. If you have to vomit during scuba diving, whatever you do, don't take your regulator out of your mouth!

4. Keep max-strength antihistamines on you

5. If your hair stands on end while you are at an elevation, duck and find cover immediately. It is a sign that lightning is about to strike and you are in danger.

Last edited:
3. If you have to vomit during scuba diving, whatever you do, don't take your regulator out of your mouth!

Interesting. And apparently true. Explanation:
https://www.liveabout.com/vomit-underwater-while-scuba-diving-2963041

whee,my firts thought was actually what poped in my mind....and I almost booked a flight TX just to shoot you in the knee ;)
thanks for clearing my misunderstanding.

Sorry about that. I have no love lost for people who 'fight' dogs. Not many people know the extent of Michael Vick's 'dog fighting'. He didn't just own the place, he was avid into dog fighting. He nailed (killing) one dog to a tree. He took another dog by the back legs & repeatedly slammed it against the ground... first he broke it's back, then he broke it's neck killing the dog. And this guy was recently honored by the NFL??? Nothing is too despicable for the NFL. I don't trust anyone who doesn't like dogs (and treat them accordingly).

1. If you're ever charged by a moose get behind a tree.They have about 10 inch blind spot and will loose you.

2. If chased by a polar bear intermittently drop pieces of clothing.It will stop to sniff them.Normal hunt prey is not sheding themselfes while running.

4. Keep max-strength antihistamines on you

5. If your hair stands on end while you are at an elevation, duck and find cover immediately. It is a sign that lightning is about to strike and you are in danger.
I have hear some of these. I learned about the antihistamines in first responder training.

1. A nine-volt battery held to a ball of steel wool will cause sparks to fly.

2. If you are choking on something, you can perform the Heimlich maneuver on yourself. Follow these steps:

Make a fist with one hand. Place the thumb of that hand below your rib cage and above your navel.
Grasp your fist with your other hand. Press your fist forcibly into the upper abdominal area with a quick upward movement.
You can also lean over a table edge, chair, or railing. Quickly thrust your upper belly area (upper abdomen) against the edge.

3.If you are worried about an animal attacking at night, surround yourself with thorny branches. It will not be a complete protection,
but its just another reason for predators to think twice

4. When it comes to stuff that animals leave behind, make sure you don´t dispose of the ones that you can use as fishing bait,
reppelents,etc.

Some of these include:
- using bones to make tools/weapons
- Using urine of female dead animals to attract other animals for food
- Using pelts and skins to make small pouches,etc.

5.If you need some AA batteries for a flashlight or any other survival tool but all you have are some AAA batteries,
All you need is some tin foil to fill the gap between the terminals of the batteries and the gadget.
A temporary fix but this should be good for a few hours, until you can find batteries with the correct size.

3.If you are worried about an animal attacking at night, surround yourself with thorny branches. It will not be a complete protection,
but its just another reason for predators to think twice
The Maasai live in enclosures called bomas, and the walls of the boma are made from limbs from acacia trees which have ferocious thorns that will keep lions out of the boma.

In the Southern US we have a relative of the acacia called the honey locust. And like the acacia it has ferocious thorns.
honey+locust+trunk.jpg

The Maasai live in enclosures called bomas, and the walls of the boma are made from limbs from acacia trees which have ferocious thorns that will keep lions out of the boma.

In the Southern US we have a relative of the acacia called the honey locust. And like the acacia it has ferocious thorns.
honey+locust+trunk.jpg

Hawthorn and Blackthorn have a similar effect in the UK and EU with the added bonus that very often people wounded by the thorns from these plants frequently get blood poisoning. Bout the only thing to get through a blackhorn hedge is a weasel crawling on its belly.

honey+locust+trunk.jpg

I have honey locusts. One that was missed by the contractor is right outside my back door. The thorns will go through a car tire and your body parts will go numb until thorn is removed. The wood is super hard too

I had one in the backyard but borer beetles got to it. I don't think the honey locust thorns are any more dangerous than a needle, but black locust thorns are poisonous. You can tell the difference because honey locust has thorns on the trunk of the tree, which the black locust only has them on the branches. Honey locust pods are edible and very sweet (which is why it's called "Honey Locust." Black locust pods are poisonous.

Hawthorn and Blackthorn have a similar effect in the UK and EU with the added bonus that very often people wounded by the thorns from these plants frequently get blood poisoning.

Hemingway's Snows of Kilimanjaro is about a man dying from infection caused by an acacia thorn, and the story is mostly him reliving his past in delirious dreams and visions.

I've stayed at the lodge where Hemingway wrote that! It has a magnificent view of Kilimanjaro.
This was Hemingway's view of Kilimanjaro at sunup...complete with an acacia tree :D

3156klZ.png

Latest posts

Back