tips, advice, info....all welcome

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRICK620

Reaction score
i figured i could lay out a basic plan of my bug out process and thru the question you guys ask i could find my weak points or areas i need to focus more on.

my edc contains,
- a 2.5 inch pocket knife w/ fire starter,
-cell phone, wallet,
-9mm sub compact pistol,
-extra mag,
- keys and paracord lanyard,
- lighter,
-cigar.

my bug out bag contains,
- ar 15... with extra ammo
- extra 9mm ammo
- 12ga tactical shotgun, w/ extra ammo
- 30-06 "sniper" rifle w/ ammo
- first aid kit
- lightweight tent
-change of clothes (pants, shirt, waterproof jacket)
- paracord
-large knife
- tactical hatchet
- trench shovel
- two weeks worth of "heat and eat" meals and snacks
- t.p.

ok. so this is my first attempt at a b.o. plan so bare with me
in the event of mass rioting destroying cities and towns. when it hit my town, i would escape out to my families farmland which is mostly woodlands now. this land butts to a stream leading about a mile up to a lake. it backs up to a huge swamp.

so what should be next steps be? what else should i be doing?

First thing why the cigar? Pick Shotgun or AR not both. Also with the AR and a scope no need for 30-06. Is the AR .223 or 5.56? If you have a bug out vehicle then the other weapons can be in tow but, lose the shotgun and the 30-06 if not. Also if you have to ditch the vehicle be prepared to bury the guns for later retrieval. The guns and ammo you listed will be close to 60 pounds. 9mm glock 19 (guessing) 2 pounds, AR 15 8 pounds unmodified, tactical shotgun 8 pounds unmodified, 30-06 8 pounds unmodified featherweight model, 300 rounds 9mm 7.5 pounds, 300 rounds .223 7.5 pounds, 12 gauge shells 100 rounds 9.5 pounds, 30-06 100 rounds 8 pounds, that brings you to 58.5 pounds of weight with out adding any of your other supplies. Slim down what you need. Be prepared to hide your weapons to retrieve later. 58 pounds is a lot to hump any distance if you don't have transport and you should have 2 kits set up one for regular bug out and one for bug out with transport.

a lot of weight as Roninsensei said,very few can carry all that + all the extra things and as a smoker my self I know that the smell goes far and wide and will mostly give you up for any badguys,so if not on a totally secure place..don't smoke.
why not change that tent for a tarp??

Thank you, I have divided my weapons bag from my main bug out bag. Ar and a portion of ammo are in the Main bag. The weight won't be an issue, 2500 cummins as bug out vehicle. I an working a place to hide my weapons at my big out location. I like having the sniper rifle as I can eliminate thread before they get close enough to see me.. Around 450-500 yards. And the shotgun would be mainly for if I went back into town for supplies and needed to cover my ### in a jam or bust thru a door. Still think I should get rid of them?

I guess my definition of edc varies from the norm. That is the stuff I have in my pockets or on me everyday. Not necessary bug out supplies. In the event I needed to bug out smoking a cigar would be the last on my mind. And my tent is one of the ultra light weight ones. I feel I could provide myself a faster shelter with it that a tarp. Although I will add a tarp in my bug out vehicle

you mentioned a bol..have you planed more then 1 route to it? more routes the better..even if it means following a set of train tracks or a river for a certain distance..the reason for that.is your primary route could be blocked in 1 or more different ways.you said that you have food..do you have a way of replacing that food? hunting with a rifle might be out of the question at first.on account people will hear the shots..that means snares and traps bow n arrow. for silence.and how about seeds for a garden? i suggest heirloom seeds on account you can save seeds from your crops..you mentioned a fire starter..you have more then 1 type of fire starter? on account one might fail when damp or wet,where a different type wont fail you..you also mentioned a stream in which there's a swamp on the other side of a lake.how clean is the water? can you drink it as is and without getting sick? does your first aid kit have every thing needed if you should get some serious scratches and/or cuts? how about splints for a broken finger/arm or leg? they can come in handy if you have to go any distance on foot..

just a quick one,you do know about first-aid,how and when and so on...if not,take a course or many..worth the effort

If bugging out vehicle born then you can carry alot of stuff and would be a preffered method . If bugging out on foot that would mean all prepps have failed and is a last resort like being over ran by raiders . The best plan is to bug in and defend your posistion . but if needed I can live quite a while with what I carry in my LBE and ALICE pack but that means there is alot of stuff I want be able to take . Then there is family and friends I look more at bugging out short term and reduce the threat from a distance and move back in . If bugging from rediation or some other reason then Im vehicle born .

you mentioned a bol..have you planed more then 1 route to it? more routes the better..even if it means following a set of train tracks or a river for a certain distance..the reason for that.is your primary route could be blocked in 1 or more different ways.you said that you have food..do you have a way of replacing that food? hunting with a rifle might be out of the question at first.on account people will hear the shots..that means snares and traps bow n arrow. for silence.and how about seeds for a garden? i suggest heirloom seeds on account you can save seeds from your crops..you mentioned a fire starter..you have more then 1 type of fire starter? on account one might fail when damp or wet,where a different type wont fail you..you also mentioned a stream in which there's a swamp on the other side of a lake.how clean is the water? can you drink it as is and without getting sick? does your first aid kit have every thing needed if you should get some serious scratches and/or cuts? how about splints for a broken finger/arm or leg? they can come in handy if you have to go any distance on foot..

i have three different ways to my BOL by land and one by water. replacing my food would be mostly by fishing and a coolection or critter traps for squirrels or coons. and there are a few different fields on the land with various veggies and even a few fruit trees. i dont plan to stay in this location for years, as my preparations are to defend riots and destruction and/or homeland attacks so i would like to say this would be enough for me to survive a few months.
i do have two different fire starters (one is built into a knife i carry and the other on a keychain) plus a waterproof windproof light. i also carry have matches in my bag and i save stashes of dryer lint to help start fires when i cant get anything else to catch....

the swamp isnt connected to the lake directly and i have on accident swallowed lots of the water but still unsure if its safe. i do have a water purification pump i use when i go hiking.
and i have a basic first aid kit, i am currently looking for a better kit or a good video of building one.

there's all valid points here,you just have to choose what to do first i.e have plan A..B..C..and so on

just a quick one,you do know about first-aid,how and when and so on...if not,take a course or many..worth the effort
i have a basic first aid knowledge.. first aid training from bsa
but i am about to start first aid and emt/paramedic training for my new job

about that first-aid kit,if my memory serves me right Silent Bob made a couple of vids about those,check first-aid section or send a PM to Silent Bob if you don't find them,I've already done my kit a few times over...as I went back to school to become a paramedic...

If bugging out vehicle born then you can carry alot of stuff and would be a preffered method . If bugging out on foot that would mean all prepps have failed and is a last resort like being over ran by raiders . The best plan is to bug in and defend your posistion . but if needed I can live quite a while with what I carry in my LBE and ALICE pack but that means there is alot of stuff I want be able to take . Then there is family and friends I look more at bugging out short term and reduce the threat from a distance and move back in . If bugging from rediation or some other reason then Im vehicle born .

i plan to defend my home untill i feel that we have no choice but to leave.. i will use a large 4x4 truck to escape to my bol. if that entrance is blocked or im being followed i will use one of the other entrances, and keep going under i find a clear entrance and i know i havent been followed. if all land entrances are blocked i have a canoe i will use to get in and come back for any supplies after the "heat" wears off... my bol isnt to far away from my house but it is in a spot that would be favorable to riot/looters/attackers.. so i could sneak up from time to time the make sure its safe to bring my family back

about that first-aid kit,if my memory serves me right Silent Bob made a couple of vids about those,check first-aid section or send a PM to Silent Bob if you don't find them,I've already done my kit a few times over...as I went back to school to become a paramedic...

awesome thanks, i am part of the safety team at work to i opted for medic since thats a skill i know i could use elsewhere. i feel confident in my camping, hunting, and armed defensive skills... first aid is where i need the most help

everything you learn is valuable my friend and first-aid,that's a life saver

First of all, Welcome!!!

my bug out bag contains,
- ar 15... with extra ammo
- extra 9mm ammo
- 12ga tactical shotgun, w/ extra ammo
- 30-06 "sniper" rifle w/ ammo
- first aid kit
- lightweight tent
-change of clothes (pants, shirt, waterproof jacket)
- paracord
-large knife
- tactical hatchet
- trench shovel
- two weeks worth of "heat and eat" meals and snacks
- t.p.

Missing one key element that I can see....(maybe just forgot to list it)

WATER!

My recommendation is a filter straw, some water purification tabs, and a metal water bottle with a clip (for boiling)...especially if you want to actually eat any of those heat and eat meals....

Concerns:

Like Ronin said, pare down the weapons to one pistol and one long gun (and make it the AR with a scope). Keep any others in the vehicle. Personally, I don't even want to lug around a long gun, on the bug out to my home. A pistol is fine. I'm looking to AVOID others, not take them out, during such a trip.

Two weeks of food is a bit much to lug around, not even sure that is possible, but in vehicle, sure.
Ration bars though, can fit this need.

Things to add:

A good pair of boots (if you don't already wear them)
Spare pair of socks and underwear
More fire-starting solutions (good to have at least 3 methods)
A map (to where you need to go)
LED flashlight
Crank emergency radio/light/cell phone charger (handy device with many functions)
Military can opener
Camping utensil kit (metal)

Last edited:
First of all, Welcome!!!

Missing one key element that I can see....(maybe just forgot to list it)

WATER!

My recommendation is a filter straw, some water purification tabs, and a metal water bottle with a clip (for boiling)...especially if you want to actually eat any of those heat and eat meals....

Concerns:

Like Ronin said, pare down the weapons to one pistol and one long gun (and make it the AR with a scope). Keep any others in the vehicle. Personally, I don't even want to lug around a long gun, on the bug out to my home. A pistol is fine. I'm looking to AVOID others, not take them out, during such a trip.

Two weeks of food is a bit much to lug around, not even sure that is possible, but in vehicle, sure.
Ration bars though, can fit this need.

Things to add:

A good pair of boots (if you don't already wear them)
Spare pair of socks and underwear
More fire-starting solutions (good to have at least 3 methods)
A map (to where you need to go)
LED flashlight
Crank emergency radio/light/cell phone charger (handy device with many functions)
Military can opener
Camping utensil kit (metal)

thank you for the welcome and yes i did forget to list water... and my filter pump

i am bugging out in my vehicle and the 2 weeks of meals are for me and my family...if i cannot take the vehicle i have seperated out 72 hours of food for us to grab quickly and go.
since i am in a vehicle i like having the extra protection by the various weapons. i will reduce it if i cant take my truck but i will not sacrifice the safety of my family. in a mass riot/attack i with do whatever it take to prevent treats from getting to close. (i will not just go out shooting every thing that moves, but i will take out all definite threats)

thanks for the ADD LIST, except the fire starter stuff i was forgetting all the rest.

its crazy how many little things i wasnt thinking enough about.

No worries, just seemed you were trying to carry all of this on your person vs. a vehicle, hehe...

I stock up my truck too.

Depending on the makeup of your family, may be some other considerations too...

OTC and prescription meds. (can use Canadian pharmacies to stockpile)
Feminine needs (don't think I need to go into any more detail here)....

The vehicle of course, should have some other items as well:

Basic tool kit
Siphon kit (for getting gas, even if just a hose)
Some Stabil or Sea Foam (for treating old gas you find)
Some HEET would be good too (takes water out of old gas)
Spare vehicle fluids
Slim Jim tool (if you can get one, to get into abandoned cars in a SHTF scenario, vs. breaking a window)
Basic road emergency kit
Spare fuses
Spare tire and jack/lug tool
Bigger work light (in case repairs needed in dark)
Cammo covering (not a need, but great if you can do so, in case you need to ditch the vehicle, then come back)
Emergency battery boost (again, not a need, but nice to have, and may even net you another vehicle to drive)
Fishing kit (no time for it in my GHB...too worried to get home, but nice to have on you)
Water container (for getting water for radiator, etc.)
Gas container (for bringing gas to a dead vehicle)

More food
More water
More ammo

had the same problem when I started..never realized there's so much "little"stuff you might need...live and learn a good way to go

had the same problem when I started..never realized there's so much "little"stuff you might need...live and learn a good way to go

yea i guess its one of those deals where i think " thats simple stuff no need to actually list it cause id never forget it" then when SHTF im missing my underwear and my glasses haha

Latest posts

Back