This Year's Harvest

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think it would work. . . . At least the growing part. Hopefully you will have warm enough weather for them to start producing. If anyrhing, just put them out when it warms during the day. Temps here are still pretty warm. Highs last week was in the mid 90s and this week it has cooked down to upper 80s.

It's been hot here too. 90s last week. Cooler this week because of rain. Nighttime temps are high 60s to low 70s. That's good for growing

Yeah we are a swamp right now. Been so wet and the ground is saturated. Bull, Charlie keeps pushing his fence over to make his way in with the girls. . . It's pointless to even try fixing the big pasture fence right now. . . I came home from work and there he was in with my girls. Guess hunny was in taking his nap. Yesterday when he jumped he got peppered with rat shot on the butt.

Our garden did great this year in spite of the big hail storm in early June. The orchard, grapes and strawberries didn't produce. The dog picked and ate the only 2 apples that survived. But the raspberries, blueberries, tomatoes, hot peppers, corn, potatoes, onions, beans, peas and everything else did great. I made 4 quarts of hot salsa yesterday.
It's supposed to get down to the mid 20's next week so we may not get any watermelon.
It's always a good idea to can for 2 years worth at least. Every year is different for sure.

I picked a couple more gallons of muscadine just now. Will get them rinsed and frozen in the freezer tomorrow morning. Still have 4 or five gallons to pick yet, then it’s trimming and do some cuttings to start a few new plants. I’m replacing some of the vines that don’t produce well and may even start a few new rows. Right now I have 20gallons of wine almost ready to bottle, 10thats still ‘cooking’ and enough in the freezer for probably 30more gallons. It’s going to be a good Christmas as that’s when I give the most out as gifts.

My late summer cukes are producing now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good job. I had beans sprouting because of rain, son I planted them in pots. They are about 8 inches high. We shall see. I have grow lights, but am unsure about pollination needs.

I found a two ft tall tomato plant in the yard. I should dig it up and put it in a pot to bring inside. I may try that tomorrow. Still have more grapes to pick and there are a lot of tomatoes in the greenhouse. Reminds me I need to water them tomorrow. The season should be done, but it was in the upper 80’s today. Seems like summer is still here.

I found a two ft tall tomato plant in the yard. I should dig it up and put it in a pot to bring inside. I may try that tomorrow. Still have more grapes to pick and there are a lot of tomatoes in the greenhouse. Reminds me I need to water them tomorrow. The season should be done, but it was in the upper 80’s today. Seems like summer is still here.
It is still summer here, too...somewhere just to your west, I imagine! I am envious of your grapes! I am going to go north to get some apples for freeze drying...I have to admit I am having 2nd thoughts about the large one I got... but fingers crossed maybe it will be ok now after repairs. (The small one was great)

It is still summer here, too...somewhere just to your west, I imagine! I am envious of your grapes! I am going to go north to get some apples for freeze drying...I have to admit I am having 2nd thoughts about the large one I got... but fingers crossed maybe it will be ok now after repairs. (The small one was great)

What happened with the larger one? Granddaughter loves freeze dried fruits. . . Strawberries and apples both. Waiting to see how she likes the watermelon.

What happened with the larger one? Granddaughter loves freeze dried fruits. . . Strawberries and apples both. Waiting to see how she likes the watermelon.
It came with insulation gaps and every batch took exactly 46 hours. We got some parts from Harvest Right, and we added some foam strips, but I am not sure that fixed it. Now we think that one of the heat strips for one tray is not working correctly. Maybe it was built on a Friday or something. Oh, and the metal that holds the rubber gasket is crooked. :(

My habenero are producing like crazy now. I had filled up the dehydrator with them yesterday and refilled them this morning for round two. I have a little over three gallons of dehydrated habenero which will be plenty to use through the year in cooking and grinding into a powder to spice things up.

I planted some Ghost Peppers late just because I had some seeds . They are putting on good . They are freaking hot .[/QUOTE

what do you use all your ghost peppers in? I like to make a habenero mustard which is sweetened with sugar to help take the bite off. Then a peach habenero salsa. Sneak a little into enchilada sauce when I can. . . Hunny just can't see ;). I'm just curious how others use their really hot peppers?

I have made a good bit of hot sauce with habaneros - salt, wine vinegar and peppers. First I pickle the peppers, then run them through a juicer. You need a good air filtration mask when you run them through the juicer or you won't be able to breathe, LOL. Then you have to air out the house....I think I'm going to do it outside next time. I take out the seeds, so the hot sauce is not super hot and without the seeds it's a lot easier on the digestive system because it's all digestible (no "Ring of Fire" effect, LOL). A bit hotter than Louisiana Hot Sauce with a better initial kick. I just like the taste of the habaneros.

Ghost peppers are insane hot and I'm not crazy about the taste. I did take the Ghost Pepper Sauce challenge at the Pepper Palace in New Orleans (the sauce is 10x hotter than the peppers). Me, my son, and my daughter all survived intact, but I thought we were going to have to call an ambulance for my daughter's boyfriend. It was a while before he could stand up again.

I have made a good bit of hot sauce with habaneros - salt, wine vinegar and peppers. First I pickle the peppers, then run them through a juicer. You need a good air filtration mask when you run them through the juicer or you won't be able to breathe, LOL. Then you have to air out the house....I think I'm going to do it outside next time. I take out the seeds, so the hot sauce is not super hot and without the seeds it's a lot easier on the digestive system because it's all digestible (no "Ring of Fire" effect, LOL). A bit hotter than Louisiana Hot Sauce with a better initial kick. I just like the taste of the habaneros.

Ghost peppers are insane hot and I'm not crazy about the taste. I did take the Ghost Pepper Sauce challenge at the Pepper Palace in New Orleans (the sauce is 10x hotter than the peppers). Me, my son, and my daughter all survived intact, but I thought we were going to have to call an ambulance for my daughter's boyfriend. It was a while before he could stand up again.
Is he a Yankee boy Doc? ;)

Is he a Yankee boy Doc? ;)
Louisville Kentucky city boy. Wannabe Southerners...:D But we ran him off.

Her boyfriend now is a Ohio Yankee country boy who's been living in small town North Carolina long enough to rub some of the Yankee off. I am still trying to get him to the Mississippi Delta to see how bad the culture shock will be on him. ROFL

Louisville Kentucky city boy. Wannabe Southerners...:D But we ran him off.

Her boyfriend now is a Ohio Yankee country boy who's been living in small town North Carolina long enough to rub some of the Yankee off. I am still trying to get him to the Mississippi Delta to see how bad the culture shock will be on him. ROFL
Lol. Btw, I am from Louisville too.... luckily my parents moved when I was really young so I didn’t get too much yankee on me.

Latest posts

Back