This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was more than 6 years ago. So I tested it and it popped great!
some things just don't go bad, good to know. I have years old honey and peanut butter. Six year old butter in the freezer and one year over the date on flour, 3 years over on rice and all are still good to eat and bake with. Some of my jelly is over ten years old and not gone bad too. Canned apples, six years, plums: 3 years and still good.

This is what we cut and/or split on Thursday. The wood under the blue tarp needs ti be moved and restacked.

Attachments

• 20221113_105027.jpg
    20221113_105027.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I got 2 more liters of petroleum also and two packages of 3 feet each of wicks. Only half a dollar per pack. I can ship you some if you do not find any...Private message or Skype and exchange address or PO box.
Thank you so much for that offer. I did end up finding some. One of my lamps is an antique and has a small wick, so I struggle to find them. I got them ordered now, though!

I got 14 more Quarts of great northern beans canned yesterday, in the middle of canning 6 quarts potatoes and 1 last quart of great northern's today. I have some kale and collard greens ready to pick in garden..not much more than enough for 1 meal, but I'm gonna harvest that today.

In the 60s here today...larry had handy man stack firewood on the porch yestetday as if he's getting ready for a freeze...he's walking around in long sleeves and a pull over sweater in the house and I've still got the air on cool in the house. I will admit, I threw sleeves on riding the golf cart to mothers this morning..🤪

One of my lamps is an antique and has a small wick, so I struggle to find them. I got them ordered now, though!
I switched the wicks in both of my lanterns to more narrow ones, first to save oil and second to make the adjustment easier. The star wheels in both did not want to raise the fat wicks any higher any more.
The wick in my other lamp is narrow anyway, but I am gonna get more.
You can use the wicks also in Crisco and other oils to make lamps like an "Alladins" lamp from the old times.

I squeezed in making 2 loaves of no knead sandwich bread today, got the kale and collards picked, vacuumed sealed and put in freezer. I stocked up on crisco a cple months ago when the price hit $7.99 for 3 lb can, then the next week it went up to $8.99. Large can $19.-something. I also got large cans dried milk, and I have been picking up cans of wild caught salmon and tuna every time I go to store, as well as always pick up at least a 5 pack of bic lighters, boxes of matches, and bandaids of different sizes, every time I go to store. I think I am becoming obsessed! Next weekend, I have ham/cheese/potatoe soup on the agenda to can, beef stew and chicken. I don't have a freeze dryer, so it's either canning, dehydrating or vacuum sealing pretty much everything other than buying it in canned, dried or frozen form.

Daughter bought a Winchester Henry 45-70 for her hubby for Christmas. It‘s more of a show piece. He has a ton of weapons to use for defense and hunting already. She is so excited to give it to him!
Now that's a good daughter. Henry makes an excellent rifle, and the 45-70 is a great round for bear.
I'll have to share this with my daughter.....

Got the money for logging today, took a third of it and went shopping.
I got 30 kg. of oats, 20 kg of corn, 60 kg of wheat and 5 kilos of rye. With what I still have for the chickens...that makes up to about 150 kilos of chicken feed. (round about 300 lbs.) Should get me and my 3 chickens thru the winter.
On top of that, we heard on the radio today that you cannot buy more than a single package of eggs while shopping with only 10 eggs in it. They do not sell a dozen here, only 10 eggs.
But....you can go to each and every store in town and buy another package, they cannot control anything like that.
If we get gas or diesel, we pay 480 Forint per liter, if you put it into a gas can and not directly into your car, you have to pay 750 Forint per liter. All foreign cars have to pay the 750 price also, only the local hungarian license plated cars get the fuel at the cheaper price...but...only till Jan. 2023. We will see what happens then.

Don't forget folks getting as healthy as we can be is part of prepping..I'm sure you don't need me to remind. I met with eye surgeon today and got my cataract surgeries scheduled for 12/8 and 12/15. I'm opting for lenses to be done that require no glasses for anything with the surgery. Its a blow financially but I'd prefer to keep my vision as best as I can have. New primary care appt tomorrow since I haven't been to any doctor in about 7 years! Then hopefully I can get referred for my cervical spine/Rt. Arm numbness issues addressed, and will think about my carpal tunnel issue(Hells bells I'm falling apart)! Been walking, stretching, eating healthier, taking supplements, fresh herbs and I'm adding home made bone broth to my agenda this weekend. One step at a time y'all! Next year I will be ripe old age of 60! (Shuuush)..And I expect to be back to kicking arse well enough by then! It's crazy! Other than the above, I still think I'm at least 40 in my own mind! Hoping I don't turn into a crochety old hag! (Might be too late in reality)..😫

I have started a small sharpening business. I hope to build it up enough to clear about $500 per week. I want to bring in more income to speed up my prepping. I sharpen knives, scissors, garden tools and some wood working tools. Nothing to brag about but every little bit helps.

Now that's a good daughter. Henry makes an excellent rifle, and the 45-70 is a great round for bear.
I'll have to share this with my daughter.....
I have been trying to find a Henry 357mag/38 spcl rifle almost a year, FINALLY found one yesterday and brought it home!!!

I have been trying to find a Henry 357mag/38 spcl rifle almost a year, FINALLY found one yesterday and brought it home!!!
Nice! I've got a Winchester 1894 Trapper in .357 mag. I don't like the modern safety on it so I'm trying to sell it. I'd like to get a Uberti Short rifle but they don't make it in .357 mag, instead I'll have to get it in .45 LC. I've got my name on a couple waiting lists but have no idea when they might become available.

Latest posts

Back