This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a lot done on the mud room project here today. Demo is done and I rebuilt the framing foundation, and got the composite deck boards installed. I hated to stop but darkness finally won out. Unfortunately there is a 100% chance of rain all day tomorrow so I’ll have a break to recover from the wear on my body…..at least I got everything put up or covered anyways.

Saw a video that said a crisco candle lasts up to 72 days. Is this factual and do you guys have this in your preps?

keep the hacks in the back of your mind - where they belong - prep proper while you can >> planning to half azz it thru SHTFs isn't prepping - leave that to the sheeple

go buy $1 candles and put the Crisco in the pantry where it makes $$$$ sense - oils & fats will be worth a fortune in a serious SHTF

candles for candles and crisco for crisco. use and mis-use the preps for what you need and not for what you planned----true survival...plan for the worst and hope for the best, that is the idea of prepping. everything you have is used for what is necessary and not for that which it is planned for....twist the use of everything into that which you really need at the time...Gary

how long did that take? I have the individual wrapped bars in smaller amounts so I don't have to open a big can.

I had a can that I used in formulating bullet lube for cast lead bullets. It sat around for several years, I don't remember how long. I went to use it after a long hiatus and it was not recognizable. It was yellow and stiff and stunk.

picked up some more OTC meds, pepto bismol, hydrocortisone cream, ibuprofen, some mole skin, new thermometer that takes AAA batteries instead of those fancy ones.
Chickweed salve, poison ivy/oak soap bar, calamine lotion.

picked up some more OTC meds, pepto bismol, hydrocortisone cream, ibuprofen, some mole skin, new thermometer that takes AAA batteries instead of those fancy ones.
Chickweed salve, poison ivy/oak soap bar, calamine lotion.

Do you buy the Amish made chickweed salve?

Absolutely. Good stuff.
My daughter makes one out of plantain....i have been needing a new recipe. I eat chickweed and juice it but didnt think to make a salve from it. That and comfrey might make a nice chapstick. She sells them but people are turned off by the green color. Hers are for bee stings. She is thirteen so i am glad she started early.

My daughter makes one out of plantain....i have been needing a new recipe. I eat chickweed and juice it but didnt think to make a salve from it. That and comfrey might make a nice chapstick. She sells them but people are turned off by the green color. Hers are for bee stings. She is thirteen so i am glad she started early.

I make a plaintain salve every year also. Greatest stuff ever for bites and stings.

I have grown up in a world with easy access to pharmacies with ointments, antibiotics and such. I have truly been lucky to live in a time when the average American has been richer than any other generation has throughout history. That being said, knowing how to make some soothing remedies on your own is a wise hobby. I’m smart enough to know that the life we enjoy is fragile and could change abruptly at any time. So I try to enjoy the pleasures we have now and also work on steps to help make my life easier if things did go south as they say.

Latest posts

Back