This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently went up to the feed store to buy more bulk seeds and as I have said before in Chat, they didn't have a whole lot to chose from, but I did get some of what I was looking for. I just wanted to do the top off from what I had previously bought this year. I have gone 3 times this year. I ended up putting everything in individual vacuum sealed bags for the freezer. Seeds are getting hard to come by from what the girl behind the counter told me. Get them while you can!! I phoned my neighbor to inform him. He is going Monday when they open back up. Being able to grow your own may just be a life saver. . .

I would also suggest to stock up as much as you can. I topped us off a couple months ago trying to get us ready for whatever may be coming.
I can’t agree more with getting prepared for hard times and stocking up on all the things you commonly use. I’ve got the normal food pantry well stocked with things that last 2 hrs or so. Also have long term foods covered, most of which will still be good long after I’m gone. Freezers are full as well. Most preppers cover these things in just a few years of prepping. After all, food is one of the most important things. Water sources and filtration is the only thing more important. But think of what you need aside from the food and security things. (Security being the third most important thing to most preppers). I bought a stack of cheap blue jeans, t shirts, socks, shoes and underwear too. I stocked the medical and hygiene bins with everything I could think of, bought loads of extra hand tools of all sorts, etc. Everyone has unique needs depending on their situation, location, budget, etc. so give some serious thought to what you could need if the stores either stopped having many of these things or they got priced out of your range. Many never thought we could see shortages like we have in the last couple years already, but I believe we will see it much worse down the road.

Absolutely. We did that a few years back, and now we are retired. Car/Trucks paid for in cash, no mortgage. We just pay insurance and taxes.
Taxes. Ugh.
My sister just turned 65 and her property taxes dropped to a quarter of what they were. It wasn’t automatic, she had to file a form at the local office, but glad she had heard about it. I’m sure each state has different rules for such things but hopefully it can help some others here. She went from almost 5 grand a year to around one. Huge savings for them. I live in a much more modest home but even my taxes are high. Everything you can save is always better than having to earn more to cover it.

Well @Brent, those hard times are coming up fast now with the inflation we are seeing in this country now. If you aren't prepared now, I will say you may be hurting in the very near future, depending on your situation. Right now, I have a full time job, but that is not guaranteed tomorrow, at least at my current job.

Went to start the car this morning and it was firing on three cylinders. Found a rodent or squirrel nest under the hood. So, after sourcing three new injector wiring harnesses and splicing multiple other wires back together I got it running well enough to drive to the dealership. There were piece of a vacuum hose but I couldn’t find where it came from. Of course some of the splicing was in the worst possible location to access. Although there’s not a lot of free open spaces in any of the newer cars anymore. The point here with prepping is even if you don’t care to learn how to be a mechanic, being able to at least fix things to get it to the shop at least saves a tow bill, and possibly gets you out of being stranded somewhere. I also got 40$ worth of rat poisons while out getting the parts…..

Well @Brent, those hard times are coming up fast now with the inflation we are seeing in this country now. If you aren't prepared now, I will say you may be hurting in the very near future, depending on your situation. Right now, I have a full time job, but that is not guaranteed tomorrow, at least at my current job.
I’m retired now and in decent shape. I feel for the young people just starting out in life with kids to feed. Honestly I’ve always known we are rich in this country, even the poor people. At least compared to the rest of the world. Most of the materialistic crap people want won’t hurt if they have to do without. 57 years has taught me that food, water and shelter are all you really need. Everything else is just window dressing.

This week I've...
Topped up first aid and personal hygiene supplies
Did a food stocktake and topped up a few things
A friend gave me a baton to replace my length of rebar

With all the warnings about shortages I'm wondering what I should be stocking up on. We're being told to prepare but not which areas/items. Any suggestions?

eye test and new spectacles ordered, pick them up next week.
old glasses go into my stash-just in case.

make sure you get a copy of your latest optical prescription >> important for a few reasons

uber cheap internet ordering of "back-up" pairs of glasses isn't the worst idea - probably wouldn't go that route for your everyday wear - but spreading around pairs in your various caches can be a lifesaver - literally ...

in a servere SHTF situation you might be able to get lenses ground - while an optometrist with his equipment might be almost impossible >> plenty of former "Lenscrafter" employees floating around ...

then there's the used glasses option >> collecting eyewear while you're scrounging OTC and prescription meds go hand-in-hand - worry about the prescription later

Since my pool blew, I am going to patch the 20" split and let rain gather. Then I can purify from there. It is completely empty and I never used heavy chemicals. I used an ion generator.
I believe I am going to take my pool down. My wife was the reason I put it in to begin with and she went in it either once or maybe twice all summer. The amount of work a pool takes is fine if it’s being used but not even close if it just sits idle. I use the hot tub every day, I definitely get my money’s worth with it.

Stocked up on food. Got some radios.
Still waiting for my handgun to clear the sheriff's office before I'm "allowed" to have it, but my concealed carry license should be in the mail by now.
Car is stocked with water, food, blankets, etc for winter.
2 more oil lamps and jugs of oil, canning jars.

Came into the big city today for my work day stretch. Shelves looking a bit more bare here, but they had a great deal on yeast so I bought a ton of that.

I believe I am going to take my pool down. My wife was the reason I put it in to begin with and she went in it either once or maybe twice all summer. The amount of work a pool takes is fine if it’s being used but not even close if it just sits idle. I use the hot tub every day, I definitely get my money’s worth with it.
We use ours daily in the Summer. If you get an Ion Chamber and a sand filter, it's not much work. I have an oak tree over part of mine too. When the leave start falling there's quite a few times it takes some work, but not often

We're being told to prepare but not which areas/items. Any suggestions?
Hi lady, it is the few little things we tend to forget because we do not use them daily. Those things we only pick up every few weeks or even months and worse: in different seasons...
Q-tips for cleaning your ears and guns with.
extra chains for your chainsaw, sparkplugs and bar in reserve
the little batteries for the remote control on your TV, car doors and such
shoe and boot laces, needles and thread for sewing, safety pins and buttons
extra bars of hard soap which last longer than liquid soap does.
replacement light bulbs and parts for your flashlight/torch
extra warm socks and inlays for your winter boots
fingernail clippers and files, hair trimmers
paint, oil, vaseline, matches, gas lighters with refill cartridges and propane
silk mantles for your gas and propane lanterns
anything and everything having to do with hygiene and first aid
extra work gloves and heavy clothes for wear and tear work
nails and screws, nuts and bolts, spare parts for any machine you have
building materials, sheet metal, sheet wood, non-electric hand tools

just go thru all your drawers and cupboards and look at what you have and decide if you have enough according to experience and what you could live without if you could never buy or get any replacements...Gary

Hi lady, it is the few little things we tend to forget because we do not use them daily. Those things we only pick up every few weeks or even months and worse: in different seasons...
Q-tips for cleaning your ears and guns with.
extra chains for your chainsaw, sparkplugs and bar in reserve
the little batteries for the remote control on your TV, car doors and such
shoe and boot laces, needles and thread for sewing, safety pins and buttons
extra bars of hard soap which last longer than liquid soap does.
replacement light bulbs and parts for your flashlight/torch
extra warm socks and inlays for your winter boots
fingernail clippers and files, hair trimmers
paint, oil, vaseline, matches, gas lighters with refill cartridges and propane
silk mantles for your gas and propane lanterns
anything and everything having to do with hygiene and first aid
extra work gloves and heavy clothes for wear and tear work
nails and screws, nuts and bolts, spare parts for any machine you have
building materials, sheet metal, sheet wood, non-electric hand tools

just go thru all your drawers and cupboards and look at what you have and decide if you have enough according to experience and what you could live without if you could never buy or get any replacements...Gary
. This sharpener does work and does help to extend life. Just want to add.
C74F8BA7-F204-42CD-B5FE-1CEEB00EE534.jpeg
The rest of your post is good sound advice.

This week to my camping & preparedness supplies I added a solid fuel stove and two boxes of fuel ( hexamine tablets 8pkg. ) and I'll be purchasing more of the hexamine tablets and possibly a second stove at various times throughout the winter as next summer I'd like to get back out camping since it's been awhile since my last camping trip and I'd prefer to keep improving my self reliance skills and supplies.

Latest posts

Back