This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenhouse is built with solar heat and water pump- for the days we aren’t home and overcast/foggy. All my seedlings are doing well. Next to get them in bags and moved into the greenhouse.
Next on the agenda is to find some good walkie talkies

Pictures!
Seedlings today. Warming mat underneath.
This was progress as of last week on the greenhouse - dark now so I didn’t take one with the solar. So excited to get it running.

Attachments

• 898AC971-5EB2-41D6-B980-626684F899CD.jpeg
    898AC971-5EB2-41D6-B980-626684F899CD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 928F1F58-D503-4880-9D3C-9FCF41BF6CAA.jpeg
    928F1F58-D503-4880-9D3C-9FCF41BF6CAA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • A0BFFAED-BB8F-4557-8FB3-C84169DBF127.jpeg
    A0BFFAED-BB8F-4557-8FB3-C84169DBF127.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Bricking up the corner where the wood stove stands to decorate it and let the bricks absorb and store some heat from the fire. Got a ton of wood delivered last week, cut and split, still had to split some of the larger ones to fit into my Swedish oven. Got my BIL to come over with his tractor and plow/turn over the back garden so I run it over with my rototiller in the spring, been dumping my ashes, leaves, cut grass and ground up bushes and wood into the area as mulch and fertilizer.
Helped the neighbor chainsaw, tablesaw, axe and split his 6 tons of firewood the last few days...he tried to stack it up like a 7 foot tall igloo to get it covered for winter and after an hour of work...it all tipped over.
He was so pissed, he couldn't talk except cussing in Hungarian such words my wife even blushed. I ended up getting into my prepping barrels and digging out a 6 person tent, set it up over his tipped iglo and stacking the rest of his wood in it... gotta admit, the tent was brand new and never used. This seemed like a good chance to see if it can take the entire winter covered in rain and snow and still SURVIVE, kinda like a stress test of my preps.
Here is a half-way pic of the Sweden oven in the corner of the livingroom:Fireplace.jpg

nothing fancy,nothing big ; just 6 pc of emt shears, the larger ones is what I bought online, next item will be a pair of combat boots, haix black eagle 2.0 side zipper, those from my next pay check

Boots are the 1 thing I really struggle with. They rub the hell out of my ankles. I would love to get some quality footwear that lasts years but unfortunately it seems to cost less buying the budget brand and replacing them each year.

Seedlings today. Warming mat underneath.
This was progress as of last week on the greenhouse - dark now so I didn’t take one with the solar. So excited to get it running.
I really like the greenhouse! Coming along very nice. I should be growing winter crops in mine but have just been too busy....

Boots are the 1 thing I really struggle with. They rub the hell out of my ankles. I would love to get some quality footwear that lasts years but unfortunately it seems to cost less buying the budget brand and replacing them each year.
I tried several brands,found that haix is good for my feet,this type I'm gonna get is one that I already have and use daily, even when in the reserve trainings, light ,comfy,but as with all,you'll have to walk them in.

Helped the neighbor chainsaw, tablesaw, axe and split his 6 tons of firewood the last few days...he tried to stack it up like a 7 foot tall igloo to get it covered for winter and after an hour of work...it all tipped over.
That brings back memories...
I worked for a company in Atlanta in the late 70s that heated the offices with wood burning stoves. We even had a genuine pot belly stove downstairs and every manner of wood burning stove and free standing fireplace you can think of. This was during the coldest winter I ever remember, so we needed a LOT of wood, and the proprietor had a load of logs trucked in and piled up outside, and rented a hydraulic splitter. Waaaay more than six tons of wood.
We all had to take turns splitting logs and stacking firewood. Yeah, that big stack of firewood decided to come tumbling down and only by the grace of God did I react fast enough to keep from getting buried alive.
While splitting that wood, I nearly broke a leg - there is a deep dent in my shin to this day - and I pulled a hernia and had to have an operation.
So...yup, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt (and the scars)...LOL.

I tried several brands,found that haix is good for my feet,

Haix is a good brand if you can get them. Jon...no need to walk them in, either stand in a bucket of warm water until you feel the water in the boots and then!! wear them till they are dry. OR !! DO AS WE DID IN THE ARMY: pee in the boots and then wear them dry. Urine will not make them stink, but will soften the leather and let them also match your feet while drying...They will stretch where you need it and shrink where you need it and match your foot like a glove.
Each boot and each foot has different movements and shapes. Even the two feet on the same person will not react to a set of shoes or boots the same way.
I have a #9 left foot and a #9 1/2 right foot, hard to find the right shoewear. Either one is too large or the other is too small. With inlays or such I just adjust the larger ones to fit my smaller foot usually.

I have done a complete 360 on my heating. Started with a wood burning fireplace, converted to propane logs, converted to cast iron stove and am now back to wood burning fireplace. I can use larger cuts of wood in fire place and my son likes watching the flames which we didn't have with stove. I couldnt get a large enough stove to heat my house because of angle of pipe going into chimney which caused a creosote buildup. I have an open 2 story living area and the small stove was worthless. Live and learn. I now have to get some type grate to allow me to put a skillet or pot near the stove for cooking. Ideas welcome.

Fire is caveman TV.

Stopped at TC (Tractor Supply) yesterday and bought a new flash light. All metal construction, LED. Very bright. Has a switch for red, green, or blue light. Second switch for white light. It is built around an old military design and even has the small storage space below the battery box that was used for storing the colored plastic lenses. May end up putting some charcloth of something like fish hooks and line in there. Only cost $20 USD. Now to put it to work and test it out.:)
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg

Stopped at TC (Tractor Supply) yesterday and bought a new flash light. All metal construction, LED. Very bright. Has a switch for red, green, or blue light. Second switch for white light. It is built around an old military design and even has the small storage space below the battery box that was used for storing the colored plastic lenses. May end up putting some charcloth of something like fish hooks and line in there. Only cost $20 USD. Now to put it to work and test it out.:)View attachment 11594View attachment 11595View attachment 11596
I bought 2 of those a couple months ago, $14.99 each and they a43 400 lumens I believe. They are nice and bring back memories!

The reloading room has fallen into a deplorable state of chaos with bins of odds and ends that need to go into their place. So for several days I have been cleaning and sorting brass, dies, bullets, and tools, and trying to organize things better. It looks no better than it did before, LOL. It is more organized, it just doesn't look like it. :rolleyes:

Now that I have a better inventory, I realize I have cases, powder, and primers for over 1000 rounds of 223, but not enough bullets. Better get some more while the getting is good...
Ever try casting any bullets???? Thats going to be my next adventure!!!

Latest posts

Back