This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets see, got a new portable water filter (MSR TrailShot, going to test it Tuesday) and a new off grid laundry solution, I have a powered small washing machine and dryer (smallish like you would use in an RV on a counter top) but this one needs no power, you just crank it. Got in an order of Freeze dried food and got a decent deal on some canned goods so they got rotated out too. A bit of target practice today and all is good!

Camping is great in the right place. It's a great way to practice wilderness survival skills. But too many campers are irresponsible and don't care about where they go or what they do. Campers and RVs are really for "glamping" though, not real camping.
It’s awfully nice to be able to take a warm shower and sleep in a clean bed after hiking all day though. I’ve done both, rustic camping and in a Camper. Believe me, it’s a lot more comfortable in the camper. I can’t agree more though, so many campers, of both types, leave trash, make lots of noise, and are destructive. I’ve always left a site cleaner than when I arrived.

Camping is great in the right place. It's a great way to practice wilderness survival skills. But too many campers are irresponsible and don't care about where they go or what they do. Campers and RVs are really for "glamping" though, not real camping.
I live in the mountains and forest now. And spend every day in what most people would call "wilderness". Our ranch is 100% surrounded by over 1 million acres of National Forest lands and we're miles from the nearest neighbor. The wife and I love it here, but our idea of a vacation is to go to a nice luxury resort somewhere. Room service, pools, beaches and nice restaurants sound a lot better than camping. I already have the skills to survive around here, don't need any more practice.

I am extending the deck on the house and just about have it framed up now. I had a ledger board that had some rot damage so had to change it out today. I could have left it as it wasn’t structurally bad but I figured while I was out there it’s best to do it right. I did manage to pick another gallon of blueberries and got a load of apples picked too. I’ll make an apple pie in the morning if work allows. Luckily I was able to cool off in the pool several times today as it’s still hot as heck out there. I’m tired but it feels good to accomplish stuff over the weekend. As long as I keep moving along on projects I’m happy. I definitely move a little slower than I used to though.

I am extending the deck on the house and just about have it framed up now. I had a ledger board that had some rot damage so had to change it out today. I could have left it as it wasn’t structurally bad but I figured while I was out there it’s best to do it right. I did manage to pick another gallon of blueberries and got a load of apples picked too. I’ll make an apple pie in the morning if work allows. Luckily I was able to cool off in the pool several times today as it’s still hot as heck out there. I’m tired but it feels good to accomplish stuff over the weekend. As long as I keep moving along on projects I’m happy. I definitely move a little slower than I used to though.
Can't have too much deck space. We have redwood decks on 3 sides of the house. The front and side decks are covered. I plan to put a roof over the rear deck. Last winter a chunk of ice, about 8 feet long and a foot and a half thick, fell off the roof and crushed my bbq and damaged my smoker. On the south side of the house I'm going to put in a patio with paver blocks. Got a load of gravel brought in for the pad. Just need to spread out the gravel and get the blocks.

Can't have too much deck space. We have redwood decks on 3 sides of the house. The front and side decks are covered. I plan to put a roof over the rear deck. Last winter a chunk of ice, about 8 feet long and a foot and a half thick, fell off the roof and crushed my bbq and damaged my smoker. On the south side of the house I'm going to put in a patio with paver blocks. Got a load of gravel brought in for the pad. Just need to spread out the gravel and get the blocks.
I’ve done a lot of carpentry in my lifetime. Most of the damaged wood I’ve replaced was due to moisture. Having a porch roof all the way around a place prevents most of the trouble. I would like to keep going all the way around but one project at a time here.

I’m working on the deck extension today. Just starting to install the deck joists. It’s coming along anyways. It’s overcast and misting off and on, but I’m greatful for the break from the heat at least. I have a meatloaf in the oven now, and the first fresh apple pie is cooling on the counter right now. I’ll do some instant mashed potatoes and gravy hopefully in half an hour or so. Damn, I’m getting hungrier just thinking about it....

One of my customers brother in-laws passed away and he was a avid gun collector , he had an awesome collection of pistols and ammo, that being said the weren’t cheap guns and the ammo was 10% below retail internet price. I picked up 1000 rounds of 9mm for $300.00 and 400 rounds of 40 s&w for $87.00. a lot of the guns will be put on gun broker this week, Colt pistols , Browning, Winchester and a sweet browning 100 year anniversary and 22grade 1 long rifle brand new still in the box. I couldn’t spend anymore this week without being in the doghouse.

Ordered 3 GasTapper Siphon Pro XL and 2 GasTapper Siphon Pro Potable water food grade siphon and pump, all US made and all being used for water transfer. Both products will siphon 4 gallons a minute. These will be stored with the 55gal barrels that are stored vertically. Both have food grade lines, the only real difference is that pro xl has a rubber pump and the siphon pro has silicone pump, I don't view the rubber pump in the pro xl as dangerous.

I used the siphon pro xl for a few years for transferring diesel out of the heavies during winter storage and it worked great.

Last edited:
I like grits and butter, oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins and honey. Sometimes rice with over easy eggs. Don't eat cereal. Never have, my Mom always cooked 3 meals a day so got used to all home cooked meals. My kids do not eat cereal either.

Same in our house. Cereal is mostly junk food. Even the stuff that is highly touted as healthy. Too much preservatives and artificial junk in them. Why don’t folks read labels and then research on the ingredients in these so called “organic” and “healthy “foods?

Arctic my husband and I were exactly in your same position 6 years ago. 70 acres and a new house less than 10 years old. Established fruit trees, berries and gardens. Outbuildings for pigs, goats, chickens and cows. Stocked ponds. My husband was burning off a thicket and stumps and the fire back blew and flared on him. Called 911 and no one showed. No fire dept, no medical help. My teenage daughter and I put out the fire ourselves and drove my husband almost 2 hours to a hospital with a burn unit. He almost lost both hands. For almost 6 months I had to do both our work. We then realized it was time. All the kids were gone but the youngest and she was ready to fly. It was hard walking away but the best thing we ever did. We actually have time to spend together. We have the same things we had there (except cows) pretty well just on a smaller scale.

Wow DD! That is quit a harrowing story. You two have done nothing short of an amazing job to get your new place so far along!!

I am removing the old 2x6 deck boards and laying the new ones as I go. I feel kind of guilty as I am throwing the old deck boards into the burn pile instead of saving for the wood stove. I have enough firewood for more than a couple years allready though, and I do live in the south... I just hate to waste anything. I have realized a couple things from this project. One is it’s the wrong time of year to do outside construction as it’s hot as can be midday. Two is I’m not in as good of shape as I used to be! As they say getting older ain’t for sissies. I keep making progress but am agonizingly slower that I used to be.

I am removing the old 2x6 deck boards and laying the new ones as I go. I feel kind of guilty as I am throwing the old deck boards into the burn pile instead of saving for the wood stove. I have enough firewood for more than a couple years allready though, and I do live in the south... I just hate to waste anything. I have realized a couple things from this project. One is it’s the wrong time of year to do outside construction as it’s hot as can be midday. Two is I’m not in as good of shape as I used to be! As they say getting older ain’t for sissies. I keep making progress but am agonizingly slower that I used to be.
You dont want to burn that old treated wood in your stove.

Don't let it go to waste. Enjoy a nice bonfire with your wife one night at drink a glass of wine sitting around watching it. Hunny and I do those on occasions. :)

I'm highly allergic to pine smoke, so it doesn't matter whether it's treated or not I can't even have a whiff of it. Hardwood smoke doesn't bother me for the most part. I may be slightly allergic to hickory smoke.

Latest posts

Back