This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy did we all get off track during Christmas! LOL

Yesterday I cleaned up and rearranged all the feed stock in the barn. We then went and bought more chicken feed, scratch (which I’ve been feeding in bulk to the deer, geese and turkeys), DE and Timothy hay. Feeling really good about our supplies!

Larry picked up more chicken feed yesterday, I had plenty of scratch and we picked up some more hay last week. I did a bit of work for my job today even though I'm technically off til the 3rd. Larry sorted through, organized a large portion of our food stockpile and moved it to better storage place..he is now totally on board with preparing, so at least i dont have to argue with him anout that anymore. My son who normally orders and brings our bulk food orders from his work wholesale, is in Alaska working for the next at least 6 wks. I'm concentrating on completing our medical supplies, and other miscellaneous like adding to batteries, ammo, miscellaneous supplies and will look for deals on meat and other to start back canning this weekend. I haven't canned anything since October. I did order some of the TP tablets, morakniv (not fancy fixed blade companion knives X's 2), more paracord, more water filters and 3 liter water filtration bladder for bug out bags, although I'm hoping on not bugging out, but bugging in. Looking at everything done and still to do, feels a bit overwhelming right now

Larry picked up more chicken feed yesterday, I had plenty of scratch and we picked up some more hay last week. I did a bit of work for my job today even though I'm technically off til the 3rd. Larry sorted through, organized a large portion of our food stockpile and moved it to better storage place..he is now totally on board with preparing, so at least i dont have to argue with him anout that anymore. My son who normally orders and brings our bulk food orders from his work wholesale, is in Alaska working for the next at least 6 wks. I'm concentrating on completing our medical supplies, and other miscellaneous like adding to batteries, ammo, miscellaneous supplies and will look for deals on meat and other to start back canning this weekend. I haven't canned anything since October. I did order some of the TP tablets, morakniv (not fancy fixed blade companion knives X's 2), more paracord, more water filters and 3 liter water filtration bladder for bug out bags, although I'm hoping on not bugging out, but bugging in. Looking at everything done and still to do, feels a bit overwhelming right now
6 weeks? I took a consultant job for an oil company one time in Central Asia that was supposed to be for 6 weeks. Turned out to be 4 years.

I have my portable stoves for hiking and camping (propane and butane and wood) some of them inherited from my father, circa 1970's but my favorite so far is this one. It is a little less portable because of the weight but, comes with a carrying case none the less. It is cast iron.

I like it because you cannot see the flame much once a pot is put on it. It uses both charcoal and wood.

1672739440284.png

We spent the ½ the week and weekend at BOL2. Since we had weather in the 70’s it was a good time to do outside work.

We got some more done on the cabin. I pretty well finished off the bath/shower house and got the solar lighting set up on that, cut and stacked more firewood from trees downed in the last storm, did some general maintenance on the RV and reorganized supplies. Discovered some plant life that looks like truffles? Could be an income source if they are.

The closest neighbor once mentioned to us that he had actually taken a day to just sit and actually enjoy being at the property. That stuck with me…we never do that. It is always just work, work, work…so, we took off after 3pm on New Year’s day just to relax. It was needed.

We spent the ½ the week and weekend at BOL2. Since we had weather in the 70’s it was a good time to do outside work.

We got some more done on the cabin. I pretty well finished off the bath/shower house and got the solar lighting set up on that, cut and stacked more firewood from trees downed in the last storm, did some general maintenance on the RV and reorganized supplies. Discovered some plant life that looks like truffles? Could be an income source if they are.

The closest neighbor once mentioned to us that he had actually taken a day to just sit and actually enjoy being at the property. That stuck with me…we never do that. It is always just work, work, work…so, we took off after 3pm on New Year’s day just to relax. It was needed.

@DirtDiva do you know anything about identifying truffles?

@DirtDiva do you know anything about identifying truffles?
Truffles only grow under certain trees and it is easy to recognise where they are. Under those trees where they
COULD be growing, you will see that there is little or no grass growing there. Good sign. Get some for your dog or friendly pig. Teach them to like truffles and they will find them for you. Good extra income, just like ginseng roots...

Truffles only grow under certain trees and it is easy to recognise where they are. Under those trees where they
COULD be growing, you will see that there is little or no grass growing there. Good sign. Get some for your dog or friendly pig. Teach them to like truffles and they will find them for you. Good extra income, just like ginseng roots...

Got a book on North American truffles but, won't be here until tomorrow.

The largest producer of truffles is in North Carolina apparently, where they are cultivating them using Loblolly pines. I found ours under the Loblolly pines.

World’s Most Productive Truffle Orchard is in the US - Goodnet

Maybe pecan truffles?

Tried offering one to one of the dogs and he spit it out, so, not sure what these are, maybe "false truffles"?
IMG_20230101_155442.jpg
IMG_20230101_165930.jpg
IMG_20230101_170245.jpg

It's good to just sit and "be" on your land to find all the microclimates present, too, I think.

Small wind breaks, recessions that accumulate cooler temps and fog, drier patches, the change in wind patterns over the season... they all help to plant things exactly where they will grow best.

One of the most overlooked prize mushrooms is the puffball. I've recently started paying more attention to them. My wife discovered a type of puffball I'd never heard of, which grows at the base of trees instead of in the grass like most puffballs. It also has a small stem. But I looked it up and it was a choice puffball.
Positive Identification? Slice one in half, and if it's solid white inside you are good to go.

Latest posts

Back