This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a bunch more seeds. Trying to purchase enough for family as well as neighbors. I was motivated after reading that seeds will be in lower supply next year, especially certain seeds. As we are aware, lower supply will equal higher prices. Yes, that will be in addition to whatever amount of bidenflation we have to cope with. Did some of my own research and called a couple of seed companies. Both acknowledged there will be a seed shortage.

STOCK UP!

Looks like more rain and storms today.
We got our first real rain since back in May today. It rain all day yesterday night, today and should go on for another 2 days....hoooray. We are still canning tomatos, pickles and getting the first leeks. Daughter, grandaughter and Son-in-law are here till Wed. and then we are alone again till middle of Sep. when my oldest friend and his wife, daughter and friend are coming for 10 days in the off-season.

I'm going to can poatoes for the first time. Have you seen the prices?
You can store them in a cool dark dry area & not have to can them.
If you have a yard grow them as soon as the ground can be worked, you can put up a open ead hoop house to protect them if you do not have a large container to grow them in. They freeze well too.

I couldn't believe we got grapes this year as the past 3 or so years they have all disappeared. So I'm making grape jelly today. I looked into the suggestion of canning potatoes and it appears I have to have a pressure canner, which I actually do not have. Couple weekends ago, I made dill pickles, only got 3 quarts and 3 pints. I think I'll make some more..they were actually very good. I have to travel about an hour to find the pickling cucumbers, so that will be next weekend. I think I may go out and get some more apples today and make more apple butter. I made a few test pint patches a few months ago and they have all been eaten.

I added a nice size solar generator to our preps this week. It is a backup to our installed solar and Generac. Just afraid an EMP will take down our installed solar and know we don’t have enough propane to keep the Generac going for a year or more. We have a new gas generator too. I see it as something to give to our neighbors to use.

A generac generator is on my list...

I started moving things around and getting rid of crap too, that I or we don't need to free up space to make more stock room. Had electricians come out and run electric to out building I have and put in a light and switch and some plug ins a few months ago. Got handy man to cut out and frame a spot and put in a window air unit. I'm using it for canned good storage. Need more shelving. Larry's nephew was here several weeks ago and asked me if that was my "She shed" with the tacky air unit sticking out like a sore thumb..I told him yes, no men allowed! 🤓
I ended up with 14 8 Oz. jars of grape jelly I made today. Kind of odd amount but that's the way it worked out with the amount of grapes I gathered. Not a huge amount but I'll take it.
You can tell I'm not too fancy! I slapped a date on the lids with a sharpie! If I get any more grapes this year, I'll put a nice label on the jars and give in a few Xmas gift baskets.

Attachments

• 20220828_151848.jpg
    20220828_151848.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220828_152252.jpg
    20220828_152252.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
I'm on a mission today for ball quart size canning jars. Hitting the flea market up hoping to find some. I've been buying various sizes over the summer at Wally World, Tractor Supply or wherever I see them but most of time the quart size are out. I have some, but not enough. I have bought up plenty of lids. Planning marathon canning of tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, kraut, pickles, beans, etc over the next month or so. Have to split up on weekends. My son drives a truck delivering bulk food to restaurants and we can order at wholesale cost..so I'm planning a big order of tomatoes and such (given my garden didn't offer much this year). Another freezer on the list also in next couple months.

A generac generator is on my list...

I started moving things around and getting rid of crap too, that I or we don't need to free up space to make more stock room. Had electricians come out and run electric to out building I have and put in a light and switch and some plug ins a few months ago. Got handy man to cut out and frame a spot and put in a window air unit. I'm using it for canned good storage. Need more shelving. Larry's nephew was here several weeks ago and asked me if that was my "She shed" with the tacky air unit sticking out like a sore thumb..I told him yes, no men allowed! 🤓
I ended up with 14 8 Oz. jars of grape jelly I made today. Kind of odd amount but that's the way it worked out with the amount of grapes I gathered. Not a huge amount but I'll take it.
You can tell I'm not too fancy! I slapped a date on the lids with a sharpie! If I get any more grapes this year, I'll put a nice label on the jars and give in a few Xmas gift baskets.
I use sharpies too.

Canned more potatoes and green beans yesterday. We had storms last night and are expecting much needed rain for the next 4 days.

I will have to dodge the rain to pick the small yellow tomatoes, okra and more beans. My late crop of potatoes and sweet potatoes are growing well. So are the late hybrid tomatoes. Healthy plants, but no blooms yet.

Latest posts

Back