This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started increasing my supply of canned food since I've got a years worth of dry food. Got more strawberry plants. Going to be tucking them in everywhere. Got more stuff for the first-aid kit, more toiletries, more milk powder, more sewing supplies, more basic maintenance supplies for around the house and garden.

Waiting on payday to do a big stock up. I'll have to shop in the city or online because the local supermarket has put quantity limits on the what items they have in stock. And there's lots of empty bays in the local Bunnings (like Lowes and home depot).

Apparently NZ will be going into another lockdown next month so I want to be ready for that as well.

Don't know where this should be posted, so here it is.

My ice maker must have put too much water in the tray and it froze the tray to the top and now the tray won't flip.

I took a hair drier and melted it until the tray moved and am waiting to see if it empties. Any other ideas? I have always had problems with it not making ice, but don't think this is related.

Installed a new Ham/CB antenna. I'm testing it tonight.

Attachments

• 20220806_194842.jpg
    20220806_194842.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Given that my garden sucked to high heaven this year..(only got a few several quart size bags of green beans vacuum sealed out of it and a variety of tomatoes), a few squash..I went to farmers market last 2 weekends. Got quite a bit of Brussel sprouts, squash, peaches, apples, green beans, eggplant, carrots and vacuum sealed all in freezer. Peaches were georgia peaches and stopped at a riad side stand about 1 1/2 hours from here and got what they said were South Carolina peaches which were absolutely delicious, some orange blossom honey and black raspberry jam (only kind my mother will eat)..my watermelon went caput this year and I did buy a huge one for $7.00 bucks but we ate that sucker and it was very good! I can't find any good fresh corn yet this year for what I deem worth the asking price around here...I also got some pickling cucumbers and I have to make pickles this weekend before they get too old..

Broke down an bought tomatoes. This year the boxes are smaller and the price is higher.

After dinner I decided to start canning chicken breast and making broth from the skin and bones.

Getting the chicken out of the way so I can start on tomatoes early in the morning.

I don't remember which thread, but last Fall I purchased new jars called Pur by Mason. I was asked to post how I liked them.

I prepped the same way as usual. Made sure both jars and water were same temp, but the bottom fell out off of one. There was not a temp difference and the jar was new new. Must have been a flawed jar.

Someone else had posted on another forum I saw that the PUR lids didn't seal for them, but the jars were ok. Still picking tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. And will for awhile, it looks like. Bought two bushels of green beans, and finished snapping them. Some for the freezer, some dehydrated, some freeze dried, some fresh. Bought a case of peaches we've been working through, and a case of blueberries. My favorite cousin and I butchered 25 meat chickens yesterday, and the meat is resting in ice chests in my kitchen right now. I'll start cutting down some of the whole chickens tomorrow, cook some for the freeze dryer, freeze some. Gave a cousin a bunch of hens to get his going (20), and filled the incubators up again.

Latest posts

Back