This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting getting new boardgames, card games, and jigsaws for the family since the kids have outgrown what we have. Also got some more art supplies stashed away.
Planted strawberries by the garlic. Started stocking up on pea straw, and bamboo stakes
Building my stash of hygiene supplies, first aid supplies, and kitchen bits and bobs (tinfoil, baking paper, plastic wrap, ziplock bags, preserving jars, etc).
Got my list and I'm working my way through it. Seems neverending sometimes, but I'm making progress.

Starting a new no-dig garden following Charles Dowland method of using cardboard and planting direct into compost. As here: . Most of my food production is in raised beds, but I'm going to get rid of anything that remotely resembles grass and grow more food. I've done this before, but never grown direct into compost before as I thought it would be too hot. The cauliflowers I've put in the first section are doing just fine. I've also set up insect screening on the beds and some of the raised beds to keep the cabbage white butterflies out of the cabbages, cauliflowers etc. Hoping to get less caterpillar damage than previously.

Graf&Sons , Natchez shooters supply, sportsman's guide, ammo seek .
Thanks AC but none of the sites have all the primers available and I do not want to pay a hazmat fee for individual orders. Graf does appear to have the best prices but is out of stock on the primers and my needed powders. Oh well, I will just have to be a bit more patient.

Thanks AC but none of the sites have all the primers available and I do not want to pay a hazmat fee for individual orders. Graf does appear to have the best prices but is out of stock on the primers and my needed powders. Oh well, I will just have to be a bit more patient.
Sorry man but I haven’t found a way around the hazmat fee either. I wish I could, I would have saved a fortune over the years.

just talking to an old gunshop hand - found out a local indoor shotgun range is selling the salvaged lead and has a steady supply of primers >>>> opens some interesting prospects

Graf&Sons , Natchez shooters supply, sportsman's guide, ammo seek .
Not anymore.
Graf is out of all primers.
Natchez only has small rifle benchrest and milspec small rifle both over 100 bucks per brick
SG is out of all primers.

Ammoseek does show some places with primers but I have never heard of any of them. Only 3 had large rifle primers and those were over 130 bucks per brick.

Got in my powder order for my 223 and purchased another 500 bullets for my 223. Powder for my other calibers are still not available. Told son#1 to stock up an DEF (diesel fuel additive) as I think there is going to be either a shortage or an extreme price hike or maybe both. Still stocking up on canned goods and other long term food supplies. Son #2 is doing home schooling and both of my grandkids will be scheduled to graduate High School at the age 16. Very proud of both sons.
all my guys took DEF OFF their trucks!!!

My flashlights use either 14500 batteries or 18650 batteries, and the charger for them has a USB power cord. And I have a solar powered USB battery bank.
They can also be charged from 120 volt sources, or 12 volt sources like a car cigarette lighter outlet.
18650 is the most common cell in laptop battery packs. It's even used in some Teslas. There are many, many millions of them out there.

Please explain / link on how this can be done. My #1 son drives a diesel truck and it is a long commute to work. Currently no DEF - no work for him.
With newer ones it involves a tune to the computer. Not good for warranty or smog check. Easier and cheaper just to stock up.

On batteries

Went with a set of emergency lights that use same batteries as my hand power tools. Even have some battery powered fans. Never an eyelash batted when I say I bought another set of batteries for the system

Went battery powered for yard tools all with the same same type of battery. I had to branch out for her new string trimmer. New battery type has built in flashlight and USB ports.

This was the one that got me started and hooked. Jumpstarter. 2-3 times it would jump my old truck. With the USB ports, who knows how many phone charges. I even bought this for my kids in the frozen tundra of WNY. Size of a small notebook for the glovebox.

https://www.costco.com/type-s-8000m...tarter-with-lcd-screen.product.100813421.html

Apparently some people didn't learn anything from the dark days of obumer about primers. When they became available again I bought more than a lifetime supply for every caliber I own. Actually I started buying ammo and reloading components shortly after that wimp McCain was nominated for the Repubics.

Apparently some people didn't learn anything from the dark days of obumer about primers. When they became available again I bought more than a lifetime supply for every caliber I own. Actually I started buying ammo and reloading components shortly after that wimp McCain was nominated for the Repubics.
The Obummer shortages hit me particularly hard because I was competing in IDPA and rimfire matches. Both of those required many hundreds of round per week of practice in order to be competitive. First the primers dried up and I switched to practicing for IDPA with a 22 slide on my 1911, saving all my centerfire ammo for the matches. Then the rimfire dried up, and I was down to practicing with an AirSoft 1911 and giving up on the rimfire matches.

I LEARNED!

Now I have enough 22 ammo that I can take a brick to the range and blast away with no regrets. I have more primers than I have time to reload. I still haven't gotten back into competition though, so I'm not going through a pile of ammo every week now.
Unlike with 22 ammo, it is exceedingly difficult to shake myself out of extreme conservation mode on the pistol ammo. If I look in the ammo cans and they're not filled to the brim, I feel like I'm running out. Then I have to remind myself I have enough primers, powder, cases, and bullets to fill them back up again.

The Obummer shortages hit me particularly hard because I was competing in IDPA and rimfire matches. Both of those required many hundreds of round per week of practice in order to be competitive. First the primers dried up and I switched to practicing for IDPA with a 22 slide on my 1911, saving all my centerfire ammo for the matches. Then the rimfire dried up, and I was down to practicing with an AirSoft 1911 and giving up on the rimfire matches.

I LEARNED!

Now I have enough 22 ammo that I can take a brick to the range and blast away with no regrets. I have more primers than I have time to reload. I still haven't gotten back into competition though, so I'm not going through a pile of ammo every week now.
Unlike with 22 ammo, it is exceedingly difficult to shake myself out of extreme conservation mode on the pistol ammo. If I look in the ammo cans and they're not filled to the brim, I feel like I'm running out. Then I have to remind myself I have enough primers, powder, cases, and bullets to fill them back up again.
Even though I have 10's of thousands of .22 rounds, I still buy several boxes every time I go to the store.
The only ammo that I'm having a problem finding right now are .410, 20 gauge (lead) and .22 mag snake shot. I'm fine with every other caliber, in fact I've been selling much of my .223/5.56 ammo.

No problem finding 20 gauge lead ammo here. Mostly 7.5 shot. Get it at Academy. Sometimes get lucky and score some #4 buckshot. House brand is Monarch and they sell Estate, Winchester, Remington. Before I could get Federal #4 birdshot for cheap but haven't seen any Federal in ages.

Latest posts

Back