This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: recently bought a "Ultralight Pocket Stove"(see pic. below) for any camping trips i do. it has a 10000BTU burner. I also thought it would be good for any backup/power outages we have. I also got 2 100g fuel cartridges. planning to buy more fuel cartridges, maybe a 10 or 20 pack. is there any other "camping"/cooking gadgets you recommend? 😜
Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 2.22.43 PM.png

I don't do much camping anymore. Mostly use big cooking gadgets since I'm where I'll be. I have an outdoor kitchen set up with iron cooking tables that each hold two dutch ovens, I have a solar oven, a rocket stove, a cooking sack, a solar set up that keeps marine batteries charged to use with an inverter to power portable electric burners, we have a barbeque and lots of propane, and the little doo dads like you've got above with fuel packets. I cook alot, and can cook on about anything.

Got our ENT set - allows for examining eyes, ears, extractions from ears for foreign bodies
Picked up a box of IV catheters, tubing as well - we already have a box of IV fluid.
We have bottles of lidocaine with epinephrine, some coban to wrap bandages.
Got more headlamps, some pepper spray/mace for the cars.

Picked up some lantern oil yesterday. Also some wax. I make wax discs mixed with lint and/sawdust. They make great hand warmers when I'm out and get cold.
The diesel generator wouldn't stay running this morning. I didn't think it was cold enough for the diesel to gell yet. Added anti gell treatment and it runs fine now.

Picked up some lantern oil yesterday. Also some wax. I make wax discs mixed with lint and/sawdust. They make great hand warmers when I'm out and get cold.
The diesel generator wouldn't stay running this morning. I didn't think it was cold enough for the diesel to gell yet. Added anti gell treatment and it runs fine now.
How do you make that? That's a great idea.

Although I live only 50 yards from the Atlantic I wouldn't be able to drink a drop in a post-apoc world because of the salt (sniffle).
I've googled around unsuccessfully trying to find some kind of simple salt-remover device, say like a small flask where seawater is poured in the top and passes through filters before trickling out the bottom as fresh water.
Do things like that exist?
At the moment my 'Plan A' will be to boil seawater in a saucepan like below and the condensed fresh water will trickle off the upturned lid into a container, and I hope it'll give me enough to live on-

shtf-apoc-water.jpg

It's really not all that hard to make your own desalination equipment. All you really need is wood, screws, some decent size windows (or pieces of glass), and some type of black rubber or tarp material that will hold water.

You basically build a box to put the black tarp in. This is where you will put the salt water. Build a back and side walls, and angle the glass from the front to the back wall over the water. Make sure the glass side is facing the sun. The sun will heat up the water in the pool and the fresh water droplets will rise up to the glass. Then they will travel down the angled glass where you need something to collect the fresh water.

I've never actually tried to build one but have seen it done and the concept seems like it would work pretty well.

How do you make that? That's a great idea.
I used to use fiber egg cartons, but they're messy and the wax leaks. The wife would throw a fit when I leaked wax all over her counter tops. Now I'm using old muffin pans. The discs are larger and will burn longer. I carry these wax discs in every vehicle, tractor, atv's and my grab and go bag. The egg carton size would burn for about 15 minutes or so. Long enough to warm up cold hands. The new one will probably burn 30 minutes at least, long enough to heat up a can of soup.

I used to use fiber egg cartons, but they're messy and the wax leaks. The wife would throw a fit when I leaked wax all over her counter tops. Now I'm using old muffin pans. The discs are larger and will burn longer. I carry these wax discs in every vehicle, tractor, atv's and my grab and go bag. The egg carton size would burn for about 15 minutes or so. Long enough to warm up cold hands. The new one will probably burn 30 minutes at least, long enough to heat up a can of soup.
Thanks for the info! We have a ton of egg cartons from our chickens, but muffin tins sound like a better idea. Hubs has a ton of sawdust from the shop workings.

I'll have to stop throwing away my lint. Sounds like a good time.
Tomorrow my mom and I are going around to local farms to pick up some squash, apples and other items to can. My garden was in a sad state this year with big beautiful tomato bushes and no tomatoes! Squash didn't grow, but I got a ton of cukes.
I want to get one of those huge crocks to make pickles

I am saving my empty pellet ammo tins. Mix the wax, sawdust / dryer lint into the empty tins and they don't leak.

Latest posts

Back