This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably would, but you would have to leave your girlfriend behind.
Don't remind me. I've considered leaving her behind even if the s___t hasn't hit the fan.

She is an RN, though, and has a talent for working with wood. She is great at restoring homes, furniture, and the interiors of cars. She's also very good with plants.

Don't remind me. I've considered leaving her behind even if the s___t hasn't hit the fan.

She is an RN, though, and has a talent for working with wood. She is great at restoring homes, furniture, and the interiors of cars. She's also very good with plants.
We all have our strengths and weaknesses!

For prepping? I just got admitted to the nursing program at the College of Central Florida. When I become an RN, I'll be able to become a Paramedic/RN with two licenses. I think this will be very helpful post SHTF.
Congratulations!
I'm hoping to go to nursing school in the next few years. I think it is a skill that will be very useful after SHTF.

Congratulations!
I'm hoping to go to nursing school in the next few years. I think it is a skill that will be very useful after SHTF.
It will be, but I strongly suggest that you work in healthcare in another capacity (like a CNA) to se if you have a taste for the work.

Working as an RN is gruelling, and sometimes heartbreaking. You need to make sure that you can deal with the idea that patients that you've bonded with over time will die . . . you'll deal with family and friends who will suggest that you're callous and uncaring, as you'll develop a realistic, no-bullshit, businesslike approach to dealing with death. What they don't realize is that you'll need to cultivate this attitude in order to stay in the profession.

I know what I'm talking about, as I've worked in healthcare for 30 years, and I was a paramedic and an EMT for almost 12 years.

You'll also find your spiritual and religious beliefs challenged by your experiences, so keep in mind that a lot of people lose their faith in God (in whatever form they see Him in) after dealing with raped children, elderly people who've been neglected in nursing homes, and dead babies from crackhead mothers.

These are things that no nursing recruiter will ever tell you.

I encourage you to get in the field--working in medicine can be very rewarding--but make sure that you do an honest personal inventory, and make sure that you know your own strengths and weaknesses. Also, make sure that you're getting into the field for the right reasons.

I hope this was helpful.

It will be, but I strongly suggest that you work in healthcare in another capacity (like a CNA) to se if you have a taste for the work.

Working as an RN is gruelling, and sometimes heartbreaking. You need to make sure that you can deal with the idea that patients that you've bonded with over time will die . . . you'll deal with family and friends who will suggest that you're callous and uncaring, as you'll develop a realistic, no-bullshit, businesslike approach to dealing with death. What they don't realize is that you'll need to cultivate this attitude in order to stay in the profession.

I know what I'm talking about, as I've worked in healthcare for 30 years, and I was a paramedic and an EMT for almost 12 years.

You'll also find your spiritual and religious beliefs challenged by your experiences, so keep in mind that a lot of people lose their faith in God (in whatever form they see Him in) after dealing with raped children, elderly people who've been neglected in nursing homes, and dead babies from crackhead mothers.

These are things that no nursing recruiter will ever tell you.

I encourage you to get in the field--working in medicine can be very rewarding--but make sure that you do an honest personal inventory, and make sure that you know your own strengths and weaknesses. Also, make sure that you're getting into the field for the right reasons.

I hope this was helpful.
I agree that people need to know what they are getting into before deciding to work as a nurse. I currently work as a personal care aide with the elderly, it's basically like a CNA but in the client's home rather than in a nursing home. I work in the office as well managing the staff and work with our clients when I get the chance or when needed. We actually have a lot of nursing students on our team as well as pre-nursing and others interested in health care who want to get experience and make sure it's the right fit. I enjoy the work and we work alongside home health and hospice nurses a lot of times. I know I haven't seen the hardest things that nurses see (especially in an emergency medical setting) but working in this job has made me more want to be a nurse rather than less.

My preps this week have been little things like doing a stocktake on the food in the house, rotating it, and adding stuff to the shopping list if we haven't got a 3 month supply of it. Same with nonfood items, if we haven't got enough to last at least 3 months it's going on the shopping list.

Here in New Zealand, our biggest threat is currently covid-19 and the economic fallout from it. My own personal worry is my partner's tendency to brag about our supplies. I don't think he'll grasp opsec until one of his mates shows up with a gun and takes everything 🙄. So I'm also trying to hide as much of it as possible and let him think it being used up.

My preps this week have been little things like doing a stocktake on the food in the house, rotating it, and adding stuff to the shopping list if we haven't got a 3 month supply of it. Same with nonfood items, if we haven't got enough to last at least 3 months it's going on the shopping list.

Here in New Zealand, our biggest threat is currently covid-19 and the economic fallout from it. My own personal worry is my partner's tendency to brag about our supplies. I don't think he'll grasp opsec until one of his mates shows up with a gun and takes everything 🙄. So I'm also trying to hide as much of it as possible and let him think it being used up.
I used to talk too much as well. In my case I don’t believe I was bragging but was telling others the pros of prepping and how it was wise to be ready for any emergency. No matter the reason, advertising yourself as the go to person when things are bad isn’t a good idea. I donate to the local food bank but don’t wish to become one....

I agree that people need to know what they are getting into before deciding to work as a nurse. I currently work as a personal care aide with the elderly, it's basically like a CNA but in the client's home rather than in a nursing home. I work in the office as well managing the staff and work with our clients when I get the chance or when needed. We actually have a lot of nursing students on our team as well as pre-nursing and others interested in health care who want to get experience and make sure it's the right fit. I enjoy the work and we work alongside home health and hospice nurses a lot of times. I know I haven't seen the hardest things that nurses see (especially in an emergency medical setting) but working in this job has made me more want to be a nurse rather than less.
I worked in both the ER and on an ambulance many years ago. I loved the adrenaline rush back then but I was also in my early twenties. I spent three years working in surgery specializing in orthopedics and it was really my favorite by far. One of the good things about nursing/medical careers is there are so many different options that you can pick from. It isn’t hard to find something you’re satisfied with. Each area you work can just be a stepping stone towards what you really love.

The fact he wants a finger print to be able to pull the trigger is stupid. What about a household of people. If the gun is only for my husband, this means I can't pick it up because it is the closer weapon to defend myself?? Or what about my son? His outline for fun control just doesn't make sense.

Latest posts

Back