THIS MAY SOUND STUPID....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Quinn

Reaction score
A s a man I don't know if a what we here in UK call a pressure cooker and what you folks call a pressure canner are the same thing can someone enlighten me please

Not stupid at all and not a man thing. For years I thought they were the same. It can be a bit confusing. A pressure cooker is for cooking food quickly. A pressure canner is for canning foods at very high pressures causing higher temps (water boils at 250°F/121.1°C when under 15lbs/6.8kilo of pressure vs 212°F/100°C normal pressure). That kills more germs! You can cook in a pressure canner but you can't can in a pressure cooker. Typically the pressure canner will be larger than a pressure cooker.

Mike, here's a picture of what we're referring to as a canner. Chick is right, you can cook in a canner, but you generally cannot can in a cooker.
FP1781.jpg

I've been doing some looking and I'm not seeing pressure canners as being available to you. I may not have looked in the right place. Never fear, we will overcome this.

I rummage sale often and I do come across canners fairly regularly. If we cannot locate one for you on your side of the water, then by God, we'll get here and mail it to you.

In the meantime, do you dehydrate any of your foods now? If not, you might look into that as well and a good vacuum sealer to keep your foods safe after you've put your time and effort into dehydrating them.

Hi Anorak , I have spent a fair while trawling the net for a pressure canner, there just arnt any on sale here in uk , and those ive seen in the states are reasonably priced, but the cost of postage is way too much.
My good lady and I are saving for our vacation which is in July ,so I wont be able to do anything about a canner until after that.
What I did do last night at work ,was to go to Tesco which is one of our larger supermarkets ,and priced up a load of stuff for storage.

I reckon for about 200.00pounds I can get enough Sugar,rice ,pasta,salt soups, etc to last me the best part of a year.

Sounds like you did good job with shopping. I will keep an eye out for a canner while I'm rummage saling and if I find one, I'll set it to the side and maybe we can make a swap or something. I have no idea what postage would be, but if I can pick the canner up for under $15 then we'll see what we can do. You can still put up fruits, tomatoes, pickles, jams, chutneys and the like without a pressure canner, you just need a deep enough pot to cover the jars.

Hi , my good lady, her name is Ruth and I sat down and discussed our finances regarding prepping and food storage. We reckon we can afford 14.80 USD per week most weeks towards stocking up .

Mike, I don't remember, do you garden? If so that may give you a little more wiggle room in purchasing preps since you could be eating from your garden and not Tesco.

Hi Anorak ,I used to have a huge garden several years ago and grew all my own veg and fruit . im in a different house now ,and the back yard is split in two, the half nearest the house is all paved and measures about 25ft x 16ft and has a 10x8 shed and a 8x6 shed on it whats left is good for pots and containers.
The back part has a deck area and a raised bed on it ,the raised bed measures 12ft x8ft ,am thinking of turning it into a greenhouse and planting up the borders with veg and fruit.

Sounds like a good plan and a nice back yard. Do you do vertical gardening with trellises?

I'll happily mail you the lentils I have. I just don't like them. I've tried different recipes and I just don't care for them.

I'll try the soup thing. Maybe if I tried them in Indian food, I might like them. I don't know, there is an Indian place a few towns over, I'll see if I can talk the hubs into taking me to lunch one day.

I usually make large pots of soup and can the leftovers, just can't put rice or noodles in it. Otherwise, it gets frozen.

This is my intended list for storage

80lbs of sugar
8lbs of salt
36 cans chicken soup
36 cans tomato soup
10lbs of macaroni
5lbs of powdered milk
24 cans of mushroom soup
36 cans of vegetable soup
20 cans of tuna
10lbs of honey
5lbs of peanut butter