Thermoelectric lantern

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petoski

God Like
Reaction score
I was wandering around the interweb and came across some company making a lantern that uses the heat from a woodburner stove to power a light and charge a battery. Has anyone had any experience with this or a similar product?

https://www.tegmart.com/thermoelectric-generators/stove-lite-pro-lantern

A bit pricey and out of stock. Maybe I could make something similar for less.

I don't know doo diddly squat about this item but I did find a YT videos, so here goes. Trust but verify.

I suspect it uses the same principle as the 12v coleman coolers, but in reverse. If you have a temperature delta, you can use that to generate a current. Then use that current to light an LED. These have a fairly limited useful life.

I was revisiting the idea of TEG as I have one that runs my wood stove top fan and wonder what is the feasibility in northern countries of mounting several of these up against the window. The thinking is that the outside temperature is under 0C for several months of the year and the indoor temperature is around 21C. Using the temperature difference to charge a laptop or mobile phone. One other possibility (although it is beyond my skills) is to manufacture the entire wall of a house from a giant TEG and power all the energy needs of a home.

Latest posts

Back