Thermal scope question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hadrian

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a thermal rifle scope and it seems that they're all "smart" scopes and have wifi and Bluetooth. Are there any thermal scopes that don't come with this dystopian lunacy?

Not that I’m aware off, every one I have looked at has WiFi and Bluetooth as well as recording ability.
seems that they are the same on the night vision scopes too.
I chose the sight mark wraith HD just for its simplicity.
Is there anyway yo adequately disable this?

Based on a quick investigation, I think some of the cheaper ones do not have these features, but I also don't know how good quality images they provide. Thermal imaging devices are not something I'm very familiar with so I can't really make a recommendation, but here is one I found by googling that doesn't seem to have any connectivity other than USB-C for charging (at least based on specifications listed). ATN ThOR LT 3-6x Thermal Rifle Scope
It is less than half the cost of similar devices with more features so I don't know how the quality would be, but it is a simpler option.

There are thermal simple thermal scopes for $600.00 or so without any crap on them. As I recall they were "Pine tree" or some word with "Pine" in them. The problem with all cheap night vision is you just cannot practically ever use the cheap ones. The range they list is fiction. You have no situational awareness with one on. I bought a cheap night vision (not thermal) and discarded it after trying to use it once.

I could be wrong , but on my ATN 4K Pro night vision not thermal, the wifi and Bluetooth have to be activated to work I've never used either on mine.

I think thermal imaging as a rifle sight is (just my opinion here...) ridiculous. Thermal imaging provides the least resolution of any imaging technology out there, and, being you have no idea if the target is an enemy, hostage, bystander or family member, using it to acquire a target is purely foolish. shooting at a heat signature is no different than wandering out in the woods and shooting at whatever moves, so I can understand why all these scopes have bluetooth and wifi built in ~ they know you will be doing something irresponsible with it!

Until they make a scope that switches from thermal to night vision automatically when your finger moves from a safe position near the receiver to the trigger, I suggest getting a standalone thermal imager, let your spotter run that, and you keep your eyes on the night vision scope where it belongs so you can see what is getting shot!

I would like to see thermal imaging overlayed semi-transparently over a lidar plot as the standby mode and have it switch to an infrared (not real night vision) system that uses two IR lasers and a digital camera (for cost reasons)... one with a fine dot on target and another with adjustable beam divergence to highly illuminate the target area, say 15 feet around the targeting laser's point. Yes, I know, that screams HERE I AM!! to an enemy with an IR sensitive camera, but it saves thousands compared to legit night vision with a light amplification tube.

Last edited:
I think a thermal sight is a must have for EOTWAWKI. This is something you would use at night, when nobody should be approaching your home/property. I want EVERY tactical advantage I can get, especially if I have to come out of my home to defend it. They know where the doors are, and that already puts me at a disadvantage. Also, even if it's just for food, being able to see it, while it's out at night is a huge advantage.

Having said that, I wish I could afford one.

Latest posts

Back