the talk (convincing)

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

subicraze

Jr Member
Reaction score
well i tried to search for a thread about convincing people or in my case family in my house hold to start prepping or at least be aware. am interested how u guys got ur family's on board or at least accept it.

Overlord

Reaction score
It wasn't easy convincing people. My brother was a skeptic until he did his own research and started prepping (although I wouldn't share a bunker with him, he is a "What I want goes" kind of person. Got spoiled by my parents)

Others would reply "When a big apocalypse comes, you will be killed so why prep.". I would answer, "what would you do when you are not killed?" That usually makes them shut their mouths.

I use localized disasters (usually floods) as my point of reference for prepping. Once you get them bit by the prepper bug, they will pursue this.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Don't approach it as "doomsday" prepping.
During and after the Great Depression, people (most likely your grandparents or great grandparents) prepped.
Doesn't have to be for the end of the world.
Look at Hurricane Katrina. Some folks were out of power for WEEKS.
What about if you lost your job tomorrow? Would you have enough food in the pantry until your first unemployment check? Even then, how far will that check go?

There are plenty of practical RIGHT NOW reasons to prep. Approach it from THAT standpoint, and you can really get someone on board.
Prioritize.

1) Extra Water
2) Extra Food
3) Extra Medicine (if you take any)
4) Firearms & Ammo

Any number of practical reasons can be given for having extra of the above.

subicraze

Jr Member
Reaction score
if you check out under lady preppers - there is a rather extensive conversation about getting spouses/significant other to join in prepping
you might find some good information there

i believe the title is Wife Aboard....or something similar to that hope this helps
Im going to check it out thnks

subicraze

Jr Member
Reaction score
Don't approach it as "doomsday" prepping.
During and after the Great Depression, people (most likely your grandparents or great grandparents) prepped.
Doesn't have to be for the end of the world.
Look at Hurricane Katrina. Some folks were out of power for WEEKS.
What about if you lost your job tomorrow? Would you have enough food in the pantry until your first unemployment check? Even then, how far will that check go?

There are plenty of practical RIGHT NOW reasons to prep. Approach it from THAT standpoint, and you can really get someone on board.
Prioritize.

1) Extra Water
2) Extra Food
3) Extra Medicine (if you take any)
4) Firearms & Ammo

Any number of practical reasons can be given for having extra of the above.

Def good advise. U make some good points

Shenandoah

Reaction score
well i tried to search for a thread about convincing people or in my case family in my house hold to start prepping or at least be aware. am interested how u guys got ur family's on board or at least accept it.
Hey subicraze,
I honestly think that I was born a prepper. I cannot remember a time when I didn't feel the need to have extra food storage and preps. My husband never bought into it until the last couple of years when he had his own "ah ha" moment. The first 18 years of our marriage, he teased me about having married-up to a militia member! So, I approached my food storage as a means to save $$. I shopped sales, purchasing larger quantities of items that we used often and the hubster could then buy into the saving $$ thing! And given the rapid increase in food prices, if one can afford to stock up and bolster your food storage, there certainly is not a rational reason NOT to!! Also, I would take a stroll around some yard sales and get myself some canning jars. I see em all the time for .10 each! Then get yourself a Ball Canning Book from Wal-Mart for a whopping $7, a Water Bath Canner for about $40 and learn some self-sustaining skills. Canning is fun and by learning/teaching it to your family they will be gaining prepper knowledge without being wise to your intent!! Worked for me my friend!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
When dieting, I realized why America is so fat.
Eating right is EXPENSIVE. No wonder we gain so much weight.
Buying in bulk, couponing smartly, and soon, growing our own veggies is just how we see ourselves stretching that food budget.

Rowdy

Jr Member
Reaction score
When dieting, I realized why America is so fat.
Eating right is EXPENSIVE. No wonder we gain so much weight.
Buying in bulk, couponing smartly, and soon, growing our own veggies is just how we see ourselves stretching that food budget.
I really don't know what thread this should go under? Any way, way before I saw my first doomsday prepper show, I had been thinking/preparing to be self sufficent. Then I found this forum, it has really opened my eyes, the talk of the government preparing for some unknown event, gas prices being predicted to go sky high, and then this morning, as I was talking to a friend that has a rather large cattle operation, he tells my that cattle prices are expected to almost double by the spring. That means corn prices are going to soar, which in turn means a-lot of grocery items are going to get way more expensive. Life as we know it, is fixing to get even more difficult than it already is. I should have started preparing sooner. Maybe all this is just a-lot of hot air being spoken, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to stock up on a few things.

On a side note, does this site have spell check? This post had little lines under (more than a few) some words, I tried re-spelling them, but it kept the little lines. Remember I'm a science teacher/coach, not an English teacher.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Lines don't show in the final post.
I think a lot of it is hot air, but groceries are certainly rising faster than inflation, as is gas. I don't see beef prices doubling though.
Would of, could of, should of is of little matter....all that matters is going forward, so don't beat yourself up about it.

Look, those in power are going to do everything in their power to be sure the workers keep producing and consuming. If that stops, so does their wealth and power.
They've simply been doing a piss-poor job of it lately. If society goes anarchy, the elites are at a huge risk, and I have to assume they know it.

I personally doubt the complete SHTF scenario is in my lifetime, but having already felt the benefits of prepping in times of need, I certainly will continue to do so, so it's there again when I need it.
But, I can certainly see that a temporary (as in less than 6 months) SHTF scenario is almost a sure thing at some point before I'm older.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
subicraze i see that your from hartford, ct. ....might try what the crime is like there..and add what that'll be like after a localized natural disaster of any kind..

tntboy13

Reaction score
I got my parents to accept it pretty easily actually. Im somewhat the brains of the family, so when my parents realized that im worried about the economy and such, i think they realized that it is a rational fear. I often talk to my mom about how the world is going to crap, and how i fear that one day, the end of the road for America will be appear rather abruptly. I dont think doomsday, because then you sound nuts. The tv show ensures that. Self-reliant is a much better word choice. Anyhoo, just sunday, when my friend asked my why i worry about the economy, I explained it to him in rather simple terms. When the US is out of $$, the US has to find creative ways to get $$ or face default. If the US defaults, the country's economy tanks, and things will be awful. End of story. Not probably the best thing to convince family, but enough for me to get my friend to at least consider why im worried.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
When the US is out of $$, the US has to find creative ways to get $$ or face default.
Somehow, with the world's largest and most advanced military, I think the "creative" solution for $$$ is pretty evident, don't you? If we go down financially, we'd just have to put that military to some real use.
We aren't going down quietly, which is why the world may openly decry the US at times, but realistically, they know what will happen if the US is going down. One word....Imperialism.

Colt 1911

Swiss army knives / multi tools
Reaction score

All you have to do is stage a little drama, turn off the water, car broke down out in the middle of no where, no electricity. Then break out your prep stuff, save the day and you are golden from then on.

Chicknladee

Reaction score
We had a real life situation here with no power etc for an extended period of time, it does really open the eyes! Prepping isn't always about shtf...what about being conservative and wanting to make your money count? I like fun toys and fun vacations...to be able to do all those things I save where I can and food prepping has turned out to be a great thing!

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
The admonition to be prepared is all around if you just open your eyes.

Boy Scout Motto: Be PREPARED

"The Scout Motto is: BE PREPARED which means you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your DUTY.
  • Be Prepared in Mind by having disciplined yourself to be obedient to every order, and also by having thought out beforehand any accident or situation that might occur, so that you know the right thing to do at the right moment, and are willing to do it.
  • Be Prepared in Body by making yourself strong and active and able to do the right thing at the right moment, and do it.[1]"

- Baden Powell, Scouting for Boys

It is a biblical theme, both in the Old and New Testaments. Genesis 41:33-36, Exodus 12:11, Jeremiah 8:11, Matthew 25:1-13

Even the U.S. Government warns people to be prepared for disaster, and tells what items you will need: (they seem to overlook items for self defense for some strange reason :rolleyes:)

http://www.ready.gov/

tntboy13

Reaction score
The admonition to be prepared is all around if you just open your eyes.

Boy Scout Motto: Be PREPARED

"The Scout Motto is: BE PREPARED which means you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your DUTY.
  • Be Prepared in Mind by having disciplined yourself to be obedient to every order, and also by having thought out beforehand any accident or situation that might occur, so that you know the right thing to do at the right moment, and are willing to do it.
  • Be Prepared in Body by making yourself strong and active and able to do the right thing at the right moment, and do it.[1]"
- Baden Powell, Scouting for Boys

And in this you are extremely correct. After getting my eagle, i thought about the motto and it was part of the reason i decided to join this forum and take up some self reliance measures. Id be quite hypocritical to be the highest rank of boyscouts and not even believe in our motto.... I cant thank scouts enough for all the skills it has taught me.

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Hey subicraze,
I honestly think that I was born a prepper. I cannot remember a time when I didn't feel the need to have extra food storage and preps. My husband never bought into it until the last couple of years when he had his own "ah ha" moment. The first 18 years of our marriage, he teased me about having married-up to a militia member! So, I approached my food storage as a means to save $$. I shopped sales, purchasing larger quantities of items that we used often and the hubster could then buy into the saving $$ thing! And given the rapid increase in food prices, if one can afford to stock up and bolster your food storage, there certainly is not a rational reason NOT to!! Also, I would take a stroll around some yard sales and get myself some canning jars. I see em all the time for .10 each! Then get yourself a Ball Canning Book from Wal-Mart for a whopping $7, a Water Bath Canner for about $40 and learn some self-sustaining skills. Canning is fun and by learning/teaching it to your family they will be gaining prepper knowledge without being wise to your intent!! Worked for me my friend!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah
I have had my lifestyle for year now, with me canning and gardening. We live in a hurricane zone, so yes I am prepared. Hunny didn't share my enthusiasm about sale items, but he has now crossed over to the other side. From the garden we get most of our veggies and yes, I still buy cans when they are a great price (last week I found canned veggies 3 for $1) plus we have fruit trees for pie filling and jellies and eating fresh. We now have critters, donkeys, cattle, pigs, goats, and chickens. I have my beef, pork, chicken, milk, eggs and butter covered. I have meat goats, but haven't gone that far yet.

Latest posts