the pig has a date

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually considered doing the job myself,,,,there are videos on utube on how to do just about anything,,,,I have helped do cows and they are just to big a job for me to tackle by myself,,,,but a hog I have done before and it is not all that bad a job
The only problem that I have with doing my own butchering is I don't have a place to hang the meat or to cut it up. I've thought about building a "butcher shop" but I've got too many other projects and the expense isn't worth it. Plus like you it's just me here most of the time.

The only problem that I have with doing my own butchering is I don't have a place to hang the meat or to cut it up. I've thought about building a "butcher shop" but I've got too many other projects and the expense isn't worth it. Plus like you it's just me here most of the time.
with the weather being what it is where you are at a place to hang one is not a problem,,,,,as for a place to cut it up at ,a 1/4 at a time and all you need is a good table,,,the folding plastic top tables that Walmart sell is all you need

I have one packed freezer,,,nothing more can be put in it even the top of my frig is packed

I have 7 10lb bags of leg quarters,,,,I am thinking about defrosting each bag and removing the backs it will make a little more space,,,,,,and I need the space,I don't like having the frig packed so full

I bought my 7 cu ft chest freezer at Best Buy for under $200. There were space considerations that made a larger freezer impractical. The Best Buy here is completely sold out of all chest freezers right now, but you can order one.

But Home Depot and Lowes have them in stock here (at the moment there is only one at Home Depot, a 7 cu ft). For under $200 now, the largest you can get is a 5 cu ft.

I bought my 7 cu ft chest freezer at Best Buy for under $200. There were space considerations that made a larger freezer impractical. The Best Buy here is completely sold out of all chest freezers right now, but you can order one.

But Home Depot and Lowes have them in stock here (at the moment there is only one at Home Depot, a 7 cu ft). For under $200 now, the largest you can get is a 5 cu ft.

I ended up ordering a GE 7cf one from Home Depot. Wanted a larger one, but they were back ordered and im not taking the chance of getting one after November 3rd. I need extra meat in it before elections!

@grayghost668 We ended up grilling pork butt steaks last night. I will say with the larger pig, those were on the tougher side.
yup,,,mine was a Landrace they are very lean,,,,so far nothing has not been tough even the Bacon is to chewy to suit me,,,,,I am going to get a grinder and start turning more of it to sausage ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

with how much money I have tied up in that pig $400.00,,,,,,,,,I would have been better off buying at the local market,,it would have cost about the same,,,I doubt I will raise another one

yup,,,mine was a Landrace they are very lean,,,,so far nothing has not been tough even the Bacon is to chewy to suit me,,,,,I am going to get a grinder and start turning more of it to sausage ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

with how much money I have tied up in that pig $400.00,,,,,,,,,I would have been better off buying at the local market,,it would have cost about the same,,,I doubt I will raise another one

But if you have a pig after SHTF and there are none to buy at market?

considering how tough this one is,,,it would not be much of a lose unless you really like sausage

Oh GG, I love sausage! Italian, breakfast and everything in between! Use it for breakfast most days. In spaghetti sauce, lasagna, chili, soups, bratwurst among other things.

I have a lot of pork and with the way things are headed we may do it again next fall depending on how much I go thru and this time I will do the job myself,,,,,I was not impressed with this butcher,,,I am going to start stocking up on dry goods again,,,,I sure as hell don't want to get caught with my pants down

Latest posts

Back