The Next Pandemic

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that there had been a case of small pox reported in the last couple of years?

www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/overview/disease-facts.asp

The last case of smallpox in the United States was in 1949. The last naturally occurring case in the world was in Somalia in 1977.

The last naturally occurring case of smallpox (Variola minor) was diagnosed on 26 October 1977.

From what I've researched on this. It's a scientific challenge. What is more enticing to a scientist than to do something once thought possible. There is technology available that people can build designer viruses at home. Combining influenza, rabies, Ebola, and a host of other viruses would sell on the black market where manufacturing, distribution, and delivery could be done.

news.nationalgeographic.com/.../100102..

beforeitsnews.com/.../100-proof-the-govt...Jul 3, 2012 – Zombie Rabies Flu Virus Cover Up Story By Homeland Security Dated 2007: Mary Greeley Reports ... Directorate says the bureau is working with academia and industry ...

Ive said it before , 4 dirty bombs in a major city would be as bad or worse than 911 .I dont know how it could be quaratined. Hazmat training is insufficient.
fyi, HazMat training is very sufficient, it most likely be contained in about 2 hours, being that if it would be a small explosion, HazMat would be called immediately, and most city's rescue squads have sufficient equipment to last until HazMat gets there

www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/overview/disease-facts.asp

The last case of smallpox in the United States was in 1949. The last naturally occurring case in the world was in Somalia in 1977.

The last naturally occurring case of smallpox (Variola minor) was diagnosed on 26 October 1977.
idk where you got your information, but there were reports of it in State Collage, and Pittsburgh

fyi, HazMat training is very sufficient, it most likely be contained in about 2 hours, being that if it would be a small explosion, HazMat would be called immediately, and most city's rescue squads have sufficient equipment to last until HazMat gets there
I was actually referring to hospital/ emergency dept. hazmat training, I will clarify my previous responce.

Anybody else find it disconcerting that the people prepping are often ex-military, teachers of social studies/economics/history, etc.? Like they sense something's coming based on all they've seen or learned of man's nature.

Gazrok, my whole family is military and has been prepping for years. I was born into the mantra of never trusting the government and always be ready for a catastrophe. It doesn't surprise me except for the fact more of them are becoming public about it.

Yep, military brat myself. I grew up in military housing compounds, so saw how self-sufficient they often were, or at least self-contained.
I like having our own "compound". Whether something happens or not. In another thread, someone hit on it. I like the feeling that I have some control over my own survival.
I think that's ultimately really my goal, to feel like even if everything goes to crap, I have the power to do something about it for me and mine.

Has anybody any idea on the new H7N7 virus that cropped up in China about 2 weeks ago? They say that it is transmissible from human to human.

Has anybody any idea on the new H7N7 virus that cropped up in China about 2 weeks ago? They say that it is transmissible from human to human.

That report came in about mid August. Up until now there have been confirmed reports of H7N7 in poultry only. In April in chickens on a farm in the Netherlands, one case in Arkansas. So far from what I am reading it's considered a low pathogen.
But I just read a report of a poultry worker in Italy who came down with it who came in contact with sick chickens.
http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2013/09/italian-poultry-worker-tests-positive-for-h7n7.html
I believe they are looking for any mutation of the Avian flu.

That report came in about mid August. Up until now there have been confirmed reports of H7N7 in poultry only. In April in chickens on a farm in the Netherlands, one case in Arkansas. So far from what I am reading it's considered a low pathogen.
But I just read a report of a poultry worker in Italy who came down with it who came in contact with sick chickens.
http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2013/09/italian-poultry-worker-tests-positive-for-h7n7.html
I believe they are looking for any mutation of the Avian flu.

Am just concerned that all these mutations are coming out at this time. over the past few years, we have had so many varieties of the Bird Flu

Am just concerned that all these mutations are coming out at this time. over the past few years, we have had so many varieties of the Bird Flu
I am too. The WHO keeps tabs on this and the Director General Dr. Margaret Chan is one smart cookie and she's not afraid to sound the alarm worldwide. She has my respect.
I think people expected to see Ebola and Marlberg virus spread too, that hasn't happened although 211 people died of a Ebola like fever recently. Hard to pin down.
I've done extensive reading on Bubonic Plague and even been in areas that were epidemic. I'm always thinking could this happen again on such a large scale.
What I did find very interesting is the work of Dr. Steven O'Brien with his human gene mutation CCR5⌂32 . Although his area is the AIDS virus he did find that people that possessed CCR5⌂32 human gene mutation didn't die of the Plague. But he has some impressive results with the AIDS virus. As you know even though we have eradicated diseases they can still come back. Stay vigilant.

New Info on CCR5DELTA32. According to what I just read researchers are now saying: "further research has revealed that the gene did not protect against the Black Death"
The theory now is it did stop Smallpox.

I am too. The WHO keeps tabs on this and the Director General Dr. Margaret Chan is one smart cookie and she's not afraid to sound the alarm worldwide. She has my respect.
I think people expected to see Ebola and Marlberg virus spread too, that hasn't happened although 211 people died of a Ebola like fever recently. Hard to pin down.
I've done extensive reading on Bubonic Plague and even been in areas that were epidemic. I'm always thinking could this happen again on such a large scale.
What I did find very interesting is the work of Dr. Steven O'Brien with his human gene mutation CCR5⌂32 . Although his area is the AIDS virus he did find that people that possessed CCR5⌂32 human gene mutation didn't die of the Plague. But he has some impressive results with the AIDS virus. As you know even though we have eradicated diseases they can still come back. Stay vigilant.

New Info on CCR5DELTA32. According to what I just read researchers are now saying: "further research has revealed that the gene did not protect against the Black Death"
The theory now is it did stop Smallpox.

Now, this is kinda over my head, Loomis. I am like a Dunce when it comes to genes and stuff.... Although I saw in the news locally that there was a recent case of the same bacteria/virus that caused the Bubonic Plague that surfaced recently, that person had died. The problem may not lie with the WHO but rather in the local authorities who are tasked to monitor and handle these cases.

We in the Philippines are experiencing a sudden surge of Chikungunya virus cases. It has dengue-like symptoms.

The WHO is about the only worldwide governmental agency that seems to really have their stuff together.
I sleep a lot better at night without adding pandemics into my SHTF likelihoods, with them on the case.
Not impossible, but a lot less probable with them around.

The MERS Corona Virus is making headway in the Middle East. The last victim was a Filipina Nurse. The problem is that if one of the overseas contract workers comes home and brings the virus into the Philippines, we are very ill-prepared to handle these.

Yep, that MERS crap is pretty scary. Even took out some teens in Texas as I recall, before they squelched it there. Only a few cases in the US, and they isolated them very fast, but not before a few weird deaths.
I'll see if I can find the story...

Weird, now every instance of the story claims flu, not coronavirus as it did when I previously read on this...

Closest I could find now...(very weird).
http://rense.com/general28/teen.htm

The MERS Corona Virus is making headway in the Middle East. The last victim was a Filipina Nurse. The problem is that if one of the overseas contract workers comes home and brings the virus into the Philippines, we are very ill-prepared to handle these.
We need to keep an eye on this. Good work there Overlord.

abt these nice new bugs,read a newsrep that you have tour first mers-case in US,a man travelled in saudi-arabia,where alot of fatalities already happened,this is how it spreads around,the bug takes a flight and then...

Unless a bug was airborne, lethal, untreatable, and had a long incubation period, our current measures are pretty effective in containing these. Really, those conditions are a tall order to fit for a given bug, to have ALL of them. Not unheard of, but not common. Still, it's a scary scenario, no doubt.

Latest posts

Back