The Next Pandemic

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep N95 disposal face masks stocked in my 3 emergency bags (home, car, work). These will do in a pinch for particulates (bacteria/viruses, dust, mold) but looking into long term respirators, such as full-face masks with cartridges like a P100/organic vapor/acid/gas cartridge; that'll filter just about everything with the added eye protection since it's a full face. 3M and North are good brands.

I know I didn't list it as one of the things that I'm prepping for but I see Pandemics as a real possibility.

Ebola is the one with a 95% death rate that scares the crap out of me. :eek: If it every escapes Africa, much of the human population of earth is doomed. Only those on desert islands who stop all contact with the rest of the world will avoid it. And that's not just idle chatter. Ebola is a bad one - one infected person on a plane can infect almost everyone around him/her. And it's a horrible way to die. By the time that person got sick enough to end up in the ER and be diagnosed with Ebola, hundreds would be infected. They in turn would infect hundreds of others.... I learned about this disease some years ago and don't know what the latest is on it.

It scares the hell out of me. I've studied a bit about the Black Death in the Middle Ages (Bubonic Plague... and yes, it's still around) and the Flu outbreak of 1918 (that thing lasted 2 years). Now scientist can Roncomatic (slice and dice) genes till there will be something out there that will make all the other outbreaks look like a paper cut. Ever read Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six?

My grandmother gave birth to my mother in 1918, during that flu epidemic. She remembered all the sick people in CT, and all the deaths. I didn't read "Rainbow Six" but did read "The Coming Plague." Eventually there will probably be a plague we have no resistance to. It could last for years so no stash of food and water will see us through. Only total self-sufficiency in a remote area would do that, or the rapid development of a vaccine for the masses. Total SS seems impossible so I'm hoping for a vaccine.

We have eradicated small pox from the world, and it has a 30% fatality rate. Russian and the United States are the only countries with the disease still in their inventory, and the world has vaccines from the 70's and containment plans. The question is are the vaccines still good?

Geeze, I wouldn't want to be vaccinated with something that old unless it was kept in bitter cold cryo storage. Even then.... :(

I contracted swine flu when it showed its ugly head a couple years back and I remember being quasi conscious and my only thought being I gotta drink more water. I was bed ridden for 2 weeks.

As was I when I was 15 yrs old. I was so sick and so weak I thought I would die. But there is nothing, no antibiotic to treat a virus with. Oyr GP kept an eye on me to make sure no opportunistic bacterial invaders moved in. I sipped chicken broth and sweetened juices for electrolytes. It was about all I could hold down. I shudder remembering those 2 weeks. Then gradually I got stronger as I could hold down solid food.

What are some natural antibiotics and antiseptics you all are aware of?

There are no natural antibiotics to take the place of our modern drugs. Those the alt med's push online are pretty much worthless. If they weren't, no one would have used those sold by the Drug companies. Unfortunately, due to overuse, many are no longer as effective as they once were.

Topical bacteria and fungal killers are mineral oil mixed with Iodine. 1/3 iodine to 2/3 mineral oil. This was an old cure and still works on both animal and human. It kills ringworm (a fungus), athletes feet, toenail fungus, bacterial/fungal hot spots on dogs (clip and wash area first). Infected ears in dogs and cats. Be careful using on cats. It kills almost all external bacterial and fungal infections.

The hardest part of prepping is knowing you are prepping for the right scenario. There are way too many variables to cover all your bases. Volcanos earthquakes, tsunami ,economic ,collapse, plague, zombies, nuclear, solar flare, dirty bomb, emp, aliens, ..... The list just goes on and on. Maybe someone knows how it will go down but I'm sure they aren't posting here. About all we can do is try to do the best we can and rebuild when it hits. I'm on here to learn and teach what I know and use diversity to broaden my horizons. Look forward to seeing what we as a forum group can do together in the near future.

I'm with RV-Kitty on Ebola. The thought of that just gives me the whimpering heebee jeebees. It's gotten out here once due to monkeys, but was contained to the facility and the animals destroyed. The only thing that keeps it from being a world scorcher is that fact that it burns through hosts so fast, unless it gets unleashed into a large population, it'll die off again.

I thought that there had been a case of small pox reported in the last couple of years?

I'm with RV-Kitty on Ebola. The thought of that just gives me the whimpering heebee jeebees. It's gotten out here once due to monkeys, but was contained to the facility and the animals destroyed. The only thing that keeps it from being a world scorcher is that fact that it burns through hosts so fast, unless it gets unleashed into a large population, it'll die off again.

I thought that there had been a case of small pox reported in the last couple of years?
a little lite reading http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2...-still-alive-and-well-by-viera-scheibner-phd/

Interesting. I was born in 1969, when my mother took my for my smallpox vaccination, I had a fever and she was told to bring be back the following month for the inoculation. When we returned, the vaccination was no longer being given in the US, I was one of the few kids in my grade that didn't have the scar on my upper arm.

It's funny, I remember coming home from school and crying because I didn't have the same scar everyone else had, lol.

1969 was the year they stopped and it varied by the month as to the location.

Maybe. Tell you what. I'll draw a smiley face on your arm and you draw one on mine and we'll call it good.

Actually I was thinking, I know shocker, but since you were on base, they probably stopped the vaccine before the civilians did. It would make sense, almost, kind of, in a sick twisted sort of way.

Be careful using on cats. It kills almost all external bacterial and fungal infections.
YES, another person that believes cats are bacterial and fungal infections!!

microwaving_cats_preview.png

Latest posts

Back