The never ending search for...the BOV!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out what that 8 wheel RV was. It was built on a German made Man M1001 truck. They were used for mobile Pershing II Missile launchers.

710x528_23939953_13192451_1590155562.jpg

Let me ask... where are you going??? If SHTF, roads will be perilous. If they aren't blocked with dead vehicles, they'll have snipers every few miles with vehicle-traps.

I've been through the various options with this. Only use for a vehicle will be running around the ranch, or going ranch-house to ranch-house. Further travel will be nonexistent if SHTF... Now, if you're wanting to go through some of these antifa road-blocks, then a wide range of vehicles will give that 'thump thump" satisfaction of turning them into road stains.

Wow! Looks awesome...but I am not related to either Bill Gates or Warren Buffet :( It is difficult for me to envision the future. I can see the advantage of going light on a BOV. What I am hoping my future will look like after I am 65...if 5G catches on, I would like to teach online to supplement my retirement income....and to have a vehicle that is significant enough to let me travel around the US and live comfortably for most of the year. I love wilderness photography...have done a bit of fishing and would like to do more...I like to take dirt roads/fire service roads, etc as much as possible when I am traveling, hence the need for the 4x4. AWD just doesn't cut it, and has more electronics, making it more expensive to both buy and repair. Getting a 5G signal will limit some of that. That is the first purpose of the vehicle. The BOV is added to that..considering that fact that I may already be living away from home when the next SHTF happens. BIG problem...if the liberals take the government seats...the EPA is going to be elevated to the height of a deity (it already is in California)...I think diesels - especially older ones that don't have 400 pounds of electronics and smog devices on them and don't need DEF (yes, the older ones that already run efficiently) will be scrapped....leaving a lot of people high and dry. I am looking at 1 ton vehicles because they license as commercial...maybe they will be spared from the diabolical EPA's wrecking yard for a few more years. I always lean towards diesel because it has a longer shelf life to store and doesn't explode as easily as gasoline in an accident. I am sure there are some but all of the backroads I have encountered in the west are not narrow, so an 8' wide vehicle would not be a problem.

Last edited:
the perfect BOV is the one you have when it all goes to hell,,for many it will be the family car or truck there will be those thrilled if they have a bicycle ,,,,,for me it's my trusty ATV and a Ford Ranger

all those fancy rigs pictured here are all on the wish list,,,like I wish I had the cash to buy that.........................

Looks like it's working 😁
View attachment 10935

Looks like a combination of the Munster Mobile, Jed Clampett's truck (which I have seen), and Mad Max.

I'm with Grayghost on this one. Use what you have, and make minor modifications if need be. Who has the money to buy and modify a vehicle just to bug out. My money will be spent on, IMHO, much more useful things.

the perfect BOV is the one you have when it all goes to hell,,for many it will be the family car or truck there will be those thrilled if they have a bicycle ,,,,,for me it's my trusty ATV and a Ford Ranger

all those fancy rigs pictured here are all on the wish list,,,like I wish I had the cash to buy that.........................
Even if I had the money to buy one of those monstrosities I wouldn't. Too big and heavy. Plus they'd only go far enough off road to get stuck. Then what? A small pickup, Jeep, atv/utv or horse would be far more useable.

Too much trouble and expense. I'm investing in one of these.

View attachment 11115

Have you looked up around Stevens county or Pend Oreille county in Northeast Washington? These are my favorite counties in Washington, lot of prepper support plus it's a Redoubt area. You can almost make most of your journey from Southwest Washington off major roads and highways to these two counties ;)

My biggest concerns for a vehicle would number one be a 4x4. Being able to go off road around obstacles is a must. Something smaller and lighter makes a lot of sense too. Not only could it fit through tighter areas but fuel economy would be important. I figure gasoline would last about a year before going bad, so diesel is a good option too With it lasting longer, even though it’s not as plentiful when scavenging.

Have you looked up around Stevens county or Pend Oreille county in Northeast Washington? These are my favorite counties in Washington, lot of prepper support plus it's a Redoubt area. You can almost make most of your journey from Southwest Washington off major roads and highways to these two counties ;)
I was up in that area over the weekend, only across the state line, looking at property. My daughter lives on the Pend Oreille river. We lived for a long time on the north west side of Lake Pend Oreille. It'll be nice getting a place back up there again and being close to the kids and grandkids.

I have a daughter in Salt Lake City. She works as a realtor there. She said right now when a house lists it is usually flooded with offers that are 10% higher than the asking price. I’ve considered moving out to a more area to weather the coming economic drop I see coming, but Utah won’t be on that list now! She said it’s mostly due to people escaping California now.

I figure gasoline would last about a year before going bad, so diesel is a good option too With it lasting longer, even though it’s not as plentiful when scavenging.

I have a few cars and a couple of them sit for a loooong time. One of them has had a full tank for three years and it runs ok when I start it and drive it around the block. If you add a fuel preserver like Stabil when you park it, or store the gas, and KEEP THE TANK FULL, it will last for years. Keeping it full helps to keep water from condensation out. When I do go farther in the cars, I throw in a can of Seafoam to protect the fuel lines and system. Once you run half a tank and refill it, the gas is like new again.

A case of Seafoam is a good prep. If you ever have to take gas from cars that have been sitting, to further your journey.

Fuel supplies will run out very quickly and most of the roads will be blocked just as quickly. Personally i will stick with the bike and a puncture repair kit.

We have a lot FSR (Forest Service Roads) that aren't monitored, majority of people don't know about them, going from one's home to a bug out location using these roads should already know how much fuel it will take. I can travel 78 miles from my place to the cabin without touching and normal traveled roads, in my case a vehicle will only get you so far, that's why we are using quads and horses. In most cases a FSR would be the choice for preppers, at least here in Washington including most places out West. Geographic are going to dictate mode of travel, in a lot of cases a bike would be a good choice.

Mahindra makes a Jeep knock off that is now sold in the US. It’s tough and small, and has a gas and diesel option. It dosent have all the emissions stuff on it nor turn signals so is sold as an off road vehicle only here. The reason I bring it up is it is built way tougher than any of the quads out there. It is very similar to the old willys Jeep. I think it starts around 15k though vs around 8 for a quad. It’s a pretty cool 4 wheel drive bug out vehicle though

Latest posts

Back