The 'musts' for a bug out bag?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My #1 is my micron water filter. I have a sawyer 0.02.
My #2 is my bivy, I can stuff it with grass or leaves if need be. During cold months my subzero ECWS sleeping bag, the bag for itself is good as a light backpack.
My #3 is plastic garbage bags, or tarp to protect the sleeping bag and other kit from getting wet. They can also be inflated for crossing rivers.
It doesn't go in my bag, but my Level 5 or 6 wind/water breaker jacket for ECWS, and my MEC hiking / water/wind pants, and cold/wet USGI combat boots... are well appreciated as they make sleeping and hiking in all conditions ok.

I can't wear full uniform here in Canada, for fear they could confuse me with US forces, so I have to switch the pants up. I still may pick up a pair of marpat down the road, as the ACU isn't well suited for forest, so but it is down my list. The polyethylene is pretty hardy fabric for looking like vinyl.

This is a good buy imo http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEN-III-ECWC...ain_0&hash=item257b585e4d&_uhb=1#ht_530wt_888

Got to say though if I were in the US another item, not in my BOB but worn is my Level 4 NIJ police vest, I would consider as an option and down my buy list as I already have a vest is a plate carrier harness system such as interceptor for ar500 steel plate or the like. You may see a theme developing with my BO list.

Match it to your bug out plan. Location and environment have a say as well as water availability. Do you have a location in mind? Do you plan on living out of your bag for some time? Kids and pets? You will find many lists and ideas. Here is one thing I keep in all my bug out bags- a can of hearty soup with a pull top- you have a ready to eat meal, once eaten, now you have a cup or cooking container, the lid will give you a sharp edge for a while, the label can be a tinder.

Multi-tool is very handy. Good quality one if ya plan on relying on it. Something to barter with?

Multi-tool is very handy. Good quality one if ya plan on relying on it. Something to barter with?

got that right..i have 2 on my person now.1 i have in a case/seath on my belt which is my gerber..and my other is a miniture on a key-ring ,and it's on my belt-loop with other stuff..i also have sevral pocket knifes in which i need to go through n decide which one to keep on me at all times..maybe a pocket size plastic box with a easy to open lid for extra ammo for the gun's you have on hand at time.i have one that rivets came in.got rid of the rivets and replaced them with 22 ammo.now i can put the plastic box of ammo in my back pocket and not have to worry about sweat or rain getting to it..i also bought a pencil box that school kids use in school.and thats where i keep my extra 22 ammo.

I think lots of times people forget things like maps. Those are good so you don't get lost, and you can find where you are and figure out where you want to go.

ahhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaa !!! i hadnt even thought of that.now im thinking along the lines of a map of each state and one map of all of them..good idea there kenny

Hard candy. I have a 1 lb bag of cinnamon ad red hot discs.
As a smoker, once the Camels are gone I'm gonna need something
Helps was the dust away keeps the goblins happy... Maybe? Condoms
Kotex duct tape. Extra belt wrapped around fart sack half pound of
Washed sand homemade charcoal. Char cloth wooden skewers
Small tub petroleum jelly. That's just some of the extra items

Hard candy. I have a 1 lb bag of cinnamon ad red hot discs.
As a smoker, once the Camels are gone I'm gonna need something
Helps was the dust away keeps the goblins happy... Maybe? Condoms
Kotex duct tape. Extra belt wrapped around fart sack half pound of
Washed sand homemade charcoal. Char cloth wooden skewers
Small tub petroleum jelly. That's just some of the extra items

Been drinking today? Haha

First aid kit (with a butane lighter, we have leeches in our woods) with hygiene and toiletries kits*
Small pack of 10-gallon garbage bags*
Small water container (mineral water bottle) - this can serve as a mutipurpose container. Initially has water *
Flashlight (with spare batts, my wife carries the manually rechargeable one)*
Two-way radio (my wife carries the other BOB so she has her own radio)
AM/FM radio with spare batts*
A box of dried gluten (just rehydrate for 10 mins and eat) and some canned items (small cans)*
A Swiss Knife and multi-purpose tool*
Anti-mosquito coils plus OFF repellant*
(aside from basic clothes)
Note: the above items marked with * are some basic stuffs that you would need.

I also carry a 3L hydration bag and a Spyderco Pocket Blade

My BOL has a deep well that we can draw water from and we have fruit trees as well. I have food stocks and other supplies there also. Since it is quite a distance from my location (about 60Km from the city), we would be taking a "jeep" from my friend (he also preps) to get there.

My wife's and my teenage daughter's BOBs are slightly different in content.

If you aint got the smarts to know how to use whats in your bag, then all you got is dead weight on your back. Worry more about whats between your ears and you wont need nearly as much in you bag.

just my .02

I'll be headed out by the end of the month for a test hike of 300km.. I'm 300km from the nearest city... I've pretty much got my bag packed now. IMO you need a sharpened edge tool of some sort, the natives used rocks.. for scrappers, hand axes etc.. they loved metal though when they had access to it. None the less, I've opted to take my machette over my hand ax, as I think it will be more usable, as a rock can sub for a hammer rather than the flat end of the hatchet.

Other than this 1. water, 2. food, this includes salt, oil, multivitamins and other essentials, 3. pain killers, 4. layered clothes with water and wind sheilding 5. something to swim/bath in. 6. firestarters, I've opted for lighters and matches, 7. uhf/vhf/fm radio with LED, 8. one moisture absorbing paper towel for every day of the hike, this is a luxury item as there are enough lakes to jump into to clean myself on this hike. 9. Bug nettting and bugspray, very important for the northern boreal, but also for urban collapse when lawns stop getting mowed but this is not an immediate need more something you would look into after a month or two. 10. a few other basic first aid things, cold/flu and antinausia 11. Biovac, garbage bags, and tarp and poncho tarp

I'm probably forgetting a few things like my compass, a cheap swiss army knife, and a few other odds and ends.

This is enough to get me 300km, that is all it does. My bug in kit includes things I could take with me on a bugout which includes my CBRN stuff mostly for forest fire, train and truck accidents, but they could be useful in Doomsday scenarios rather than emergency response scenarios.

I will maybe also be carrying my health card with me, and my credit card, and $10 or $20 in cash. While there are no anything up north where I am headed except the odd hunt camp/cottage .. in a hike to the nearest other settlements outside the area ---200km east, 40km west (same municipality) or 300km for the nearest population center over 100,000 people. There are a string of small settlements headed west. I biked it last year. This year however I'll be headed to an old abandoned Airfield/Military Base.. that has been destroyed I think. It is vintage 1960's cold war.. anyway... I head out by the end of next week. I'm putting my internet into sleep mode though today so you probably won't see me online again until August if you respond to this posting after today. As I have some prepping to do before the hike stuff is completely done.\

I think though if you plan for a hike you will probably be good for a bugout. Hiking is probably one of the best ways to prepare for a a bugout.

I'm a pack rat, so i carry one of everything. One thing that most people don't have is a map. I have a map of Fort Sill and a map of the state in my BOB. I commented on someone planning a NYC BOB, and he had all that cool stuff, but what if he was somewhere he didn't know. How would he get to his bug out destination. Also, protection is my second biggest concern. How could you protect yourself from people in a big city that has verrry strict gun laws? Go non-lethal and get some mace. Even in your regular BOB it could do you wonders. Highly effective against any type of mammal.

Latest posts

Back