The 'musts' for a bug out bag?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a pack rat, so i carry one of everything. One thing that most people don't have is a map. I have a map of Fort Sill and a map of the state in my BOB. I commented on someone planning a NYC BOB, and he had all that cool stuff, but what if he was somewhere he didn't know. How would he get to his bug out destination. Also, protection is my second biggest concern. How could you protect yourself from people in a big city that has verrry strict gun laws? Go non-lethal and get some mace. Even in your regular BOB it could do you wonders. Highly effective against any type of mammal.

mace isn't even legal up here.. but you can get bear spray for bears which is basically a really big can of pepperspray. I would not trust sprays though, they only work on normal people, although they do impair vision.. that is about it anyone who has been sprayed before and has the will can resist their effects, it is a blinding agent and it takes a minute or two to actually start to cause automated response.

None the less if you are so close for pepper spray you are likely at close in distance any hard object can probably do as much as mace if used properly.

As much as people want to get away from it hitting someone really hard with something hard will probably be more of a deterrent than mace.

Even a household hammer can be a lethal object if contacting with someone skull at full force.

None the less the quickest way to get killed is to get physical.. and people will have guns anyway.. criminal elements and police will have guns...

none the less I don't trust spray and have a hatchet or a machette, or crossbow.. on my hike I'm only taking the machette.. but I was considering the hatchet and might regret not taking it..

I do run a realistic risk of being attacked by wolves.. and since I'm carrying food a bear attack is plausible since I need my food to survive if a bear shows up I will have to defend myself with only a machete.

Bear in mind mace causes rage and hard objects dope people with adrenaline, buyer beware. If someone tries to kill you... you can kill them. Of course only if you need to... but cops don't take chances why should you?

Bear in mind I will be fighting that bear to the death should it occur, I won't be asking for a fight but people on the streets in event of societal collapse will be in such a desperate situation if it ever came to that.. it is unthinkable that it could really for america to decay that much... we are talking mad max here.

None the less up in the woods people get attacked every year just like people get murdered and beaten up in the US.

Bears arn't my enemy but I would treat a human the same way.. they come with attitude they get attitude...

none the less I pray nothing will happen.

get a weapon spray is only an addition it doesn't kill it only impairs... get rid of the idiots if they try to kill people during WROL, they will be around to hurt or kill someone else.

People won't be running jails. If the cops are gone... it ain't no BS. If martial law ain't surviving you are on your own. Save others get rid of the problem while you can.

Lets just hope to god the world is never faced with that... even though it is happening in places such as Syria today.

It is mental puke to think what or how America could be that way. It makes me nauseous to think about it.

All of what you said is true. It just depends on where you live, and the landscape around you. Machete in NYC and your probably gonna chased down. Machete in Ontario, not so much. Pepper Spray would be good for people that don't regularly carry weapons. It's somewhat of a placebo that burns someones eye's. I do see where your coming from though. A buddy of mine is going up to Alaska to go hunting in August and asked me what I would bring. I told him bear mace and Map/GPS. He bought both. I would hate to get eaten by a bear or a pack of wolves...

i disagree about the bear mace..it has been proven to work on people.matter of fact,if i remember rght.it's powerfull enough to at least blind some people.so if i was to carry mace..bear mace is the one id go with,even then id want the most powerfull one of all.and i think they can spray out 15 to 30 feet..and thats plenty far if the other person isnt alreadt pointing a gun or what ever at you

Bottled water, food that will keep well, but provide a lot of calories, and an idea where you are headed are the bare essentials. Assuming the goal is to GET somewhere with your BOB.
Anything else is gravy.....

I'd also recommend though: at least 3 ways to make fire, some basic first aid supplies (including sunscreen and bug repellent), a good (full tang) knife, and a decent flashlight, and a firearm with ammo (as people will be your biggest threat)

Latest posts

Back