The Knowledge

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I am a pretty smart fellow,you don't really have to be without power or running water even if the world goes completely to hell,there are solar powered well pumps ,,, windmills and solar power for electric,,,,,,,so tell me why would I have to do without,,,,all I need do is prep for it,,,and I am almost there

I am a pretty smart fellow,you don't really have to be without power or running water even if the world goes completely to hell,there are solar powered well pumps ,,, windmills and solar power for electric,,,,,,,so tell me why would I have to do without,,,,all I need do is prep for it,,,and I am almost there
Solar panels don't last forever. Then what?

I think the biggest priority should be the preservation of books.

I would like to see seperate, self-contained, autonomous libraries built in places like Antarctica, the Sahara Desert, and so on.

My library would be designed like a huge bank vault (like the NORAD facility in Wyoming), have an inert nitrogen and/or argon atmosphere, be hermetically sealed, and containing every book imaginable printed on plastic-reinforced, acid-free paper.

These libraries would be protected by international treaty (like the red cross displayed by hospitals during wartime signifying their noncombatant status), and open to inspection by any nation concerned about ulterior motives during a conflict.

Too bad the library of Alexandrea wasn’t better protected. Mankind lost a lot of knowledge that took centuries to gain again.
The loss to humanity was incalcuable.

We know that an ancient astronomer named Aristarchus of Samos taught that the sun was at the center, that planets moved around the sun in circles, and had the known planets in the correct order.

We just don't know how he figured it out.

We know that there were 123 plays written by Sophicles, but only 8 survive to this day (Oedipus Rex is one of them).

We know that Democritis taught that matter was made of atoms, and that he had argued that air had weight and mass.

Of the estimated 4 million books in that library, less that 10,000 survive to this day.

It's easy for me to believe that we would already have colonized the solar system (by skipping the Dark Ages altogether) if the library hadn't had been sacked.

This is something that interests me as well. Not necessarily rebuilding civilization to what it is today, because we all know there are a lot of problems with modern civilization. But taking the knowledge of inventions from modern sciences and using them to benefit humanity if/when this current civilization collapses is a very interesting concept, at least to me.

This is something that interests me as well. Not necessarily rebuilding civilization to what it is today, because we all know there are a lot of problems with modern civilization. But taking the knowledge of inventions from modern sciences and using them to benefit humanity if/when this current civilization collapses is a very interesting concept, at least to me.
You should read the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

In these novels, an organization forsees the collapse of galactic civilization, and works to store knowledge in order to rebuild society.

Latest posts

Back