The knife on todays battlefield

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalm 7

God Like
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone would agree a god knife is a must have tool first and a weapon 2nd . But there is several incedents in this time of modern warfare that a knife was the best weapon at the right . Just in Iraq in close quaters a Marine killed a madi army fighter in the swampie low lands with a KA BAR , another U.S soldier used a M9 bayonet attached to his M4 while room clearing and in a tough hand to hand fight while sweeping a building another managed to get to his multi tool ( a Gerber I think ) and cutt a insurgents throat .

I have used them so many times I've lost track.. Yes a very handy weapon in a pinch..

FYI

In active service (some branches or limited roles)

ASEK (Army)
M9 bayonet (M16 series)
M7 Bayonet (M16 series)
M11 Knife (EOD)
OKC-3S Bayonet (Marine Corps only)
Mk 2 Knife (Ka-Bar)
Gerber Mark II
Mark 3 Knife (SEALs)
Mission Knives MPK Knife (SEALs, Navy EOD, and USMC)
Strider SMF (USMC)
SEAL Knife 2000 (SEALs)
Tomahawk (VTAC)

Out of service (obsolete)

M6 Bayonet (M14)
M5 Bayonet (M1 Garand)
M4 Bayonet (M1 Carbine)
M3 Trench Knife
M1 bayonet (M1 Garand/M1903)
Knife LC-14-B/Type IV Survival Ax (Woodman's Pal)
Mk 2 Machete (Navy)
Mk 2 Utility Knife (Marine Corps/Navy)
Mk 1 Utility Knife (Navy)
M1939 Machete
M1942 Bayonet (M1903/M1 Garand)
M1942 Machete
V44 Knife
V-42 combat knife (Case V-42 'Stiletto')
M1942 Bolo Knife (United States Navy Hospital Corpsman)
Sykes-Fairbairn Commando Knife
Marine Corps Raiders stiletto by Camillus
M1917/M1918/Mark I Trench Knife
M1917 Bayonet (M1917 Rifle, M1897, M12 and M1200 Shotguns)
M1917 Bolo Knife
M1909 Bolo Knife
M1905 Bayonet (M1903/M1 Garand)
M1904 Hospital Corps Knife
M1898 Bolo Bayonet
M1898 Bowie Bayonet
M1895 Lee Rifle Bayonet
M1892 Bayonet (Krag)
M1887 Hospital Corps Knife
M1880 Hunting Knife (a.k.a. Entrenching knife)
M1873 Trowel Bayonet
M1868 Trowel Bayonet
M1861 Navy Rifle Bayonet
M1855 Socket Bayonet
M1847 Musketoon Bayonet
M1841 Mississippi Rifle Bayonet
M1819 Hall Breech-Loading Rifle Socket Bayonet
M1812 Bayonet|M1816 Bayonet
M1812 Bayonet
M1795 Bayonet
M1849 Rifleman's Knife

Last edited:
Are you sure the guy that used the multi-tool just didn't choke him with the pliers?o_O

They were taking a building from wich Insurgents were operating and The U S soldier had chased a insurgent into a room and both of their rifles ran dry so they closed hand to hand combat the American said it was about even and he got to his armor plate and beat the tango in the face with it and lost his grip on it and the Iraqi hit him with somthing and was starting to overpower him then he found his multi tool got the blade out and went for the throat . If I remember right the Army troops involved were with the the Big Red One .

Killing someone with a multi-tool? That's pretty bad-###, any way you slice it.... :D

Still, unless you're special forces, the knife is likely to remain a weapon of last resort next to firearms.

Yea the knife is a tool but its ability as a weapon is self explainatory . A Navy Seal while taking down one of Sadams oil for weapons tankers headed to Iran made the first Knife kill since Vietnam before the 2nd War in Iraq started

I'm sure there are times when a knife is preferred, even over a firearm... I just have no where even close to the skill required to use one!

Maverick, that list is pretty comprehensive, man. I'm really enjoying looking them up and seeing their designs, histories, and "Uses".

Gerber MKII is officially on my "Need It In My Life" list. I need a reasonable fixed blade to carry. The MKII isn't likely since I live so close to the Nation's capital, but I'm going to make my way through that list and see if it won't indirectly point me in the right direction.

After reading this thread when it was first posted, I decided to order two KaBars from Amazon (on sale), a USMC version and a U.S. Army version (a little cheaper) I use the Army version as basically a utility knife. I've dug in rocky ground with it and was amazed how well the edge and point held up. It is one tough son of a gun!

Not sure what I'm going to use the USMC version for. I'm going to take one of them hunting in the fall and test it some more. I sometimes have to hack vines and small branches, but don't like carrying a machete.

I have both versions too . The large grip on a Ka Bar keeps your hand from becoming tired as fast when working with a knife like clearing a camp site or building a shelter .

Latest posts

Back