THE GEOTHERMAL HOME

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnready

Reaction score
We have been doing alot of research on alternative energy for the home we are in the process of buying and geothermal seems to be the way to go. Big cost up front but the best bang for our buck! The units now can heat, cool your home and provide hot water. Geothermal uses very little electicity and if the lights go out a small generator will keep the heat or cool air coming.

We think using the earth's heat will be an endless resource, no worries to find wood, dont have to pray for sun or wind to power some heat or cool air!

Anyone out there already have this system? Comments welcome

In my research, I'd have to agree, but a lot of up front money....like solar.

They say the system pays itself in full within 3-5 years. Not something you want to install if you plan on selling the home within 10 yrs.

I would strongly suggest looking into it. I'm finishing up a country home that we've been planning on and considered geothermal but decided against it due to cost. Now the last two electricity bills have come in above 800 dollars and builder says he doesn't know why it's so high. I should have gone geothermal.

I would strongly suggest looking into it. I'm finishing up a country home that we've been planning on and considered geothermal but decided against it due to cost. Now the last two electricity bills have come in above 800 dollars and builder says he doesn't know why it's so high. I should have gone geothermal.

OMG, what type of system do you have that cost you that much? Everything in your house electric?

What about converting to solar?

OMG, what type of system do you have that cost you that much? Everything in your house electric?

What about converting to solar?

Yes everything is electric. Spoke to the contractor yesterday and he says they can put in a second meter just for the furnace /AC and it will be at a reduced rate so hoping we can bring this down

I don't want to thread jack but here's a pic of the guilty farm house
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395894949.461017.jpg

This was a few months ago. We figure to be done on the inside in a couple of weeks. Starting construction of the barn thereafter

ok inside not done yet.and to me,that means doors leading to outside keeps getting opened n shut.that alone might have alot to do with it being $800

Ouch! Ok I'll stop complaining about 300.

Nice home, but are the contractors using your electricity for building purposes? Just wondering since you said that the inside has not been completed. Depending on what they are actually doing as in some power tools will increase your bill, but dang! Even with the Texas heat, my bills have never been over $300. Mom had her house totally redone back in 2011 which lasted almost 6 months (and I am talkin about takin it down to stubs) and she never paid that much.

Hopefully that's what's been happening. House will be done this month so looking forward to a smaller bill

I never thought to use geothermal before for private households!! Very sustainable energy usage, possibly costly to install and maintain. Plant a few trees plenty of wood for heating.
I am surprised at the large areas of the USA that have potential for high quality geothermal. In a doomsday scenario, all it is giving you heating and cooling and might be a drain on valuable electrical power for water circulation!!

$20,000 installation costs!
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/hydropower-geothermal/433140

As a geologist I would look at fault zones/risk in you area first (check Google earth for lineaments etc.). A lot of western USA (Yellowstone, Utah, California) likely to have major earthquakes in the not too distant future - personal opinion. There are areas that have latent heat from long extinct volcanic activity - that have little risk.
776px-GeothermalPotential.jpg

Remember, geothermal isn't just for catching heat. The ground, anywhere in the country, maintains a constant temp as little as a couple feet down. You can use it for cooling or heating. The least expensive systems I've seen were just buried pipes that used a small fan to circulate air thru them. A trencher and a few hundred feet of 6" of black courrugated pipe may not be as effective as a modern heat pump, but it will cool or warm your house.

Brent, Yes it is a different system/method to true geothermal (geyser), while reading the article I figured as much.

Yeah they do have value as a sustainable system, and would need to be incorporated with other energy sources. Getting hot water and etc. would require some system

Latest posts

Back