The garage is in the same building as the house

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Norwegian

Reaction score
Bit worried of one thing. As mentioned earlier my family and I are moving to a new house.
The garage is built as a part of the house. Like two buildings close to eachother and only a wall between them.
Of course it will only take seconds to get to the car and that is good. But in the same time I do not feel too safe having a car with fuel in it if something should happen.
Thinking of the danger of fire.
Not sure how to handle this.

There are a lot of homes herein the States that have the attached garage which is what you are moving into. When my sister and her husband built their home, there was a firewall between the main house and garage.

Realisticdude is right, you don't want to store a lot of extra gas in there, but you could possibly build a shed for storage of flammable goods. If you are really worried about the car causing a fire, don't park it in the garage and just use your garage for storage.

Thanks and point taken :)
Was concerned if the car could be the reason for the house to catch fire if shtf. Will not store lots of other things which could be dangerous there. Own place for that. We do not have a firewall between the garage and the house so I will be careful of what I will store in the garage.

Instead of fire, I would be more worried about carbon monoxide poisoning if you were to start the car to let it warm up and don't open the garage door. The build up of carbon monoxide will kill you quick.

Additional thoughts , for peace of mind put a good fire / smoke / heat detector in the garage and a couple of fire extinguishers in the house. Have a fire drill type plan esp. for the kids so they will know what to do in case of fire. Smoke will kill you before the fire will...............I have a two car garage and park two cars in it.

Additional thoughts , for peace of mind put a good fire / smoke / heat detector in the garage and a couple of fire extinguishers in the house. Have a fire drill type plan esp. for the kids so they will know what to do in case of fire. Smoke will kill you before the fire will...............I have a two car garage and park two cars in it.
I guess that is the most important guideline for everyone who own a garage. We planned to have one detector at the highest point. About the fire drill we started having a firedrill some years back when the kids where four.
Still we meet friends who does not understand why we bother...:confused:
I will start new firedrills when we have moved to our new place. At least our kids have learned and understand the sound of the alarm.

That's good that your kids know what it is and they won't hide like many children do when they get scared.

Some few days back I made dinner. Or tried I will have to say... Lots of smoke the fire alarm kicked in and my son came to the kitchen and told me we have to leave the house. Embarresed I had to agree. We left for some few minutes before I went back in and did it right second time. Haha close to a real situation feeling for the kids. And my wife will not let me forget this for a long time.:)

Would not worry to much about a car fire. Sheetrock is fire retardant. It does not burn. Everything else in garage may, but it will not. So spread of fire inside of your house will be slow to happen. Just do not store many flammable objects in the garage if that is the worry, other than the car.

I also have house with a two car garage (oversized) attached, I have my wife car and two ATVs in it, I have a metal box that's vented to the outside that contains fuel for my portable generator and ATVs, I installed 3 fire detectors (not smoke detectors) for the last 30yrs My home(s) has had attached garage and never an issue!

all the holmes i've lived in over the years has garages.and even then,only one had the garage seprate from the house..and i've always stored gas cans and what ever in the garage..it's just a matter of doing so safely.we have cans of paint in which i keep in one front cornner of the garage.and thier stored safely.i have 2 gas cans..1 for mower,and the other for weed trimmer n chain saw.thier kept under my work bench,which is just inside the garage.plenty of ventalation there.

I live in a house with a 2 car garage attached to it and when I go get gas and am to lazy to take it to the other building right that second I leave it in the same garage whitch has the entry to my bunker and I've been here 12 years never had a problem.

I also have house with a two car garage (oversized) attached, I have my wife car and two ATVs in it, I have a metal box that's vented to the outside that contains fuel for my portable generator and ATVs, I installed 3 fire detectors (not smoke detectors) for the last 30yrs My home(s) has had attached garage and never an issue!
I also like to keep my wife in the garage!

Latest posts

Back