The Dollar Store/Tree/General (Depending where you live) Pro's and Con's

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hj1984

Reaction score
Soooo...like I mentioned earlier today, I spent way too much money today on some preps. LoL Now when I say way too much, it was 50 bucks but thats a lot to a waitress who makes 3.75/hr +tips...but hey, that's why I got the job right? Anyhow, I made my way to the dollar tree (they are the one place where EVERYTHING in their store is only ONE dollar...or less...never ever more!!!!) in a neighboring town for the purpose of purchasing christmas decorations and wrapping essentials...and no matter how hard I tried to steer the cart away from the medical aisle, I couldn't control myself. By the time I got to the checkout, my cart runneth over. BUT I made sure that I didn't fall victim to the "i'm at the dollar store, this is as cheap as it gets" mentality. There were lots of things that I saw and thought about picking up but then realized that they were actually available at wal-mart for even cheaper. Lots of OTC meds like anti diaherral and pain pills are 88 cents at walmart...thats better than 1 dollar! So while you can stock up on tons of stuff at the dollar store, be careful and price check at walmart first. I was excited to find buffet warmers in the party section of the dollar store today....they are little tins of fuel that has a wick you burn and typically place under a buffet serving container to keep food hot at partys...but the label states that they can be used for heat, camping/cooking, buffet purposes or as a light source. They burn for 2 hours each and ya can't beat that! I am not sure if they are refillable but I am certainly gonna look into it. They also have tons of glow sticks for cheap as well. 15 packs of glow bracelets (i plan on putting them on the kids if we ever have to travel at night or while they sleep...they think its fun, while I see it as practical in keeping track of them in the dark) I also picked up some gauze, alcohol, peroxide etc...basic stuff. I will post pics tomorrow. But I just wanted to let you all know of the treasure trove at the dollar tree, but also warn you that not everything is cheaper there! happy prepping!

Dollar tree has to be one of my favorite stores. I have picked up plenty of stuff for my bob at the dollar tree

The Con to the dollar store is quality... sometimes it is the same as sold elsewhere but other times it is less than poor. I bought a pair of reading glasses there and they didn't last a week before they broke.

The Con to the dollar store is quality... sometimes it is the same as sold elsewhere but other times it is less than poor. I bought a pair of reading glasses there and they didn't last a week before they broke.
I have done everything in my power to avoid purchasing anything durable from a Dollar Tree, i stick with expendable items. Save for maybe some of the toys for the kids gotta have something to boost morale when the SHTF

LOL Whoa Bryan... you are impatient!!! The superglue I buy dries really quick... like in seconds. That is cool though a spray that dries it even quicker.
no we use it to make dash parts and other stuff the activator makes the glue melt 2 parts of abs together welding it together

Lmao, how expensive do you need gauze/band aids/ace bandages and stuff like that?

HJ, i'd watch those glow sticks if shtf. like night time targets for the crazies. the dark may be a good ally for moving.

i mean for inside in the dark so I can keep track while they sleep etc. I for sure wouldn't put it on the if we were on the move in the dark!

I think this weekend, after the Del Mar Crossroads of the West Gun Show, I will make a stop at the local .99 Store!
Im tellen ya, its worth it!
If nothing else the canned food for stock is awesome, but i think my favorite isle is still the nik nac isle with the tools and stuff, ive found alot of good stuff there, including led lights,rat tail files for my axe etc. i feel like a kid inna candy store! ....... lmao, they have candy too, imagine how well youd be able to barder w/candy!

Im tellen ya, its worth it!
If nothing else the canned food for stock is awesome, but i think my favorite isle is still the nik nac isle with the tools and stuff, ive found alot of good stuff there, including led lights,rat tail files for my axe etc. i feel like a kid inna candy store! ....... lmao, they have candy too, imagine how well youd be able to barder w/candy!
I actually buy gun cleaning stuff there. Why pay $10.00 for a can at the local Turners!

Latest posts

Back