The Day to End The Rest

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dallas Dixon

Oldcoot and many others have provided solid advice. Fire fights are a last resort. There is a difference between scavenging and raiding, be careful in your terms, so we don't misread your intentions. Oldcoot is a very wise old fa-t and he can and will provide very sound advice. I do caution your approach to meet and join with other (1) prepper and your friends. Too much shared information regarding your supplies and equipment could paint a bullseye on you in a time WSHTF. The railroad tracks do have potential for both positive and negative uses. It will be up to you to determine how it will affect you. If you own the property you can plant blackberry or other very thorny plants (food and deterrent). Alarm trip wires (smoke -- not shotgun shells) you do not want to injure anybody prior to a full on WROL.

As Brent pointed out too, get the things that you will absolutely need and then work on the weapons stockpile. I started out with 1 pistol until I while building up my prepp's, then expanded the arsenal. Spam, top Ramen, soup, chili and so forth will keep you alive, are easy to heat and produce little to no smell. Having a large arsenal you will have to leave behind during a Bug Out, does not help you and anybody else. If you do not or can not defend your current location, then what good does it do you to have a 1,000 rounds of ammo? Like most, when I first started into the prepping society, I thought oh boy, guns and ammo. That changed very quickly when I started to do my homework. You can't eat ammo and snuggling up with your rifle won't keep you warm.

The first order of business is to decide what you are prepping against. Second order, plan on how you are going to deal with that situation and then third order, what is it going to take to deal with that situation. As Oldcoot pointed out, if you plan for ciaos, you will be mils ahead. If you are planning for the Zombie uprising, then you may just come up a bit short.

I am planning for chaos. I want to be prepared for that kind of situation and prepared for it in my area. I already have blackberries growing here at my house, there are plenty of squirrel and other edible creatures too. As for edible plants, that's kind of the opposite. For some reason the Southeast area I'm from doesn't have many plants you can eat. I should probably stock up on Spam and other things that you mentioned, but as for a person of my age walking in a store and buying a bunch of Spam, etc. I don't really know..
I've looked at a lot of solar chargers and things in that category, and man, are they expensive. I saw some reach a low of $50, but I don't exactly know if a cheap one would do it's intended purpose with relative consistency or efficiency. Everything I have must work efficiently and consistency, and that is a standard I will not compromise. Most things I have do benefit me in terms of necessities. Budget holds me back there. I have many things that are necessities other than the Spam and the rations. I at one point wanted to get MRES, but I've heard they do some bad things to you, if you understand what I'm saying.

I am planning for chaos. I want to be prepared for that kind of situation and prepared for it in my area. I already have blackberries growing here at my house, there are plenty of squirrel and other edible creatures too. As for edible plants, that's kind of the opposite. For some reason the Southeast area I'm from doesn't have many plants you can eat. I should probably stock up on Spam and other things that you mentioned, but as for a person of my age walking in a store and buying a bunch of Spam, etc. I don't really know..
I've looked at a lot of solar chargers and things in that category, and man, are they expensive. I saw some reach a low of $50, but I don't exactly know if a cheap one would do it's intended purpose with relative consistency or efficiency. Everything I have must work efficiently and consistency, and that is a standard I will not compromise. Most things I have do benefit me in terms of necessities. Budget holds me back there. I have many things that are necessities other than the Spam and the rations. I at one point wanted to get MRES, but I've heard they do some bad things to you, if you understand what I'm saying.
I understand the budget constraints! What I have started doing is just buying a few things each paycheck towards my supplies. The "small" items aren't such a big deal but I have started saving towards bigger ticket items as well. It may take a few months but can you set aside even $20/paycheck? In six months this will be close to $250, if you get paid every 2 weeks. I hate having to be patient when anything can happen, but in the end, I can only do what I can do.

No Civil War, unrest perhaps in select areas (big cities) Martial Law, again in select areas very localized and very dependent on circumstances more than likely they will call it a curfew, suspending habeas corpus is bad press so curfew sounds better ;)

Given no one can predict the future don't worry about it and just continue to prep, make your preps universal that will keep one warm, dry, safe, on a full stomach with plenty of water.

I don’t believe people have the moral conviction anymore. It was the moral conviction on both sides that pushed the civil war. It wasn’t truly fought over slavery that was the excuse. Both sides believed in their moral right and so went to war over it. I don’t believe that exists in enough people now. I think at worst we may see some civil unrest. I think at some point they may even try to reduce our gun rights some more but, the days of men with strong conviction are all but gone.

Iv said elsewhere here that We will have Civil unrest some what like Ireland had or a Balkans type Civil War . Several groups are already living a state of war . Much of it will be more like insurgency rather than large armed groups on a field of battle .

California is doing everything it can to disarm it's citizens. Now I have know idea how they expect to benefit or what is behind their plans. Can't secede from the the union with a disarmed population. So just what is the benefit?

I do think it will be economic ciaos or grid down that will push us over the cliff.

Well Dallas Dixon, have you pulled your hair out with worry yet? It can be overwhelming but this country has survived a Civil War, with two very different viewpoints and a very divided Congress, nothing compared to the drivel we have now- and those moral convictions were basically among the rich- whether or not to own human beings. We survived the Spanish flu of 1918, prepared or not. We survived an economic collapse, mostly by helping our fellow man out, not shooting him. Humans didn't really thrive until we came together. We survived a myriad of natural disasters. Realistically, localized events should be given first priority on preparation. If you think about it, less than 100 years ago, your area of the country didn't even have electricity yet. As for our 2nd Amendments rights, they are already being infringed upon. Slowly, insidiously. They don't have to outlaw the guns, but what about the ingredients in gunpowder or primers? Round limitations? They will just keep raising the fees for FFLs and CCW permits, make requirements more stringent. Humans are more resilient than people here seem to believe. What will you do when 50 men, women and children walk down that railway, shoot them all? They are hungry, upset, out of kilter. What if your house burns down after a disaster? You keep circling back to firearms, do you plan on joining the revolution? Or just protect your family and hunt some game? (everyone else in your area will be hunting the same game and with no bag limits or season restrictions how will that last?) A bow or crossbow will go a long way, a blackpowder rifle is a good idea as there are recipes for making black powder. A good hunting rifle with a spare scope, a shotgun, a .22 rifle and a defensive pistol for every member in your family will take care of things nicely. Did you buy them legally? Somewhere, some government agency knows what you have. Gain knowledge, pass knowledge along, practice skills. Get neighbors on the same wavelength, don't talk about prepping, but what to do if certain disasters happen. What will happen in your region. I'll prepare for any blowback or feedback from this. Good luck, and remember, like living life, prepping is a continuous process. I had the advantage of a crazed survivalist father who was ready for nuclear war and the Russian invasion.

I once, on another forum, was told by another member that post SHTF he was going to WALK with 100 Facebook "friends" from London(where he lives) to the South West of England(where I live), this I took with "a pinch of salt" as I considered it a personal insult on his part.
but even if he was being truthful and even in a country the size of the UK this would take a lot longer than you might surmise.
about a minimum of 3 weeks probably nearer a month given that they will have to find food, water and shelter along the way, bad weather-especially in winter- will hamper their progress, personally i'd be surprised if anyone got any further than half way, probably collapse somewhere on Salisbury Plain(near Stonehenge). walking day after day after day without an end in sight is going to sap anyone's strength and more importantly will begin to affect them mentally too.
which is why I have never subscribed to the "golden horde" theory so beloved of American PAW fiction writers, not in the UK anyway.

I once, on another forum, was told by another member that post SHTF he was going to WALK with 100 Facebook "friends" from London(where he lives) to the South West of England(where I live), this I took with "a pinch of salt" as I considered it a personal insult on his part.
but even if he was being truthful and even in a country the size of the UK this would take a lot longer than you might surmise.
about a minimum of 3 weeks probably nearer a month given that they will have to find food, water and shelter along the way, bad weather-especially in winter- will hamper their progress, personally i'd be surprised if anyone got any further than half way, probably collapse somewhere on Salisbury Plain(near Stonehenge). walking day after day after day without an end in sight is going to sap anyone's strength and more importantly will begin to affect them mentally too.
which is why I have never subscribed to the "golden horde" theory so beloved of American PAW fiction writers, not in the UK anyway.

Okay , we got 1,000 miles journey. Call it a reasonable pack out (pack load) weight of 60 pounds and a reasonable travel of 20 miles a day, you are still talking 50 days. Now since there is no way you are packing enough water and food for 50 days, then Bigpaul"s estimation is probably right on the money. They are going to have to stop and forage along the way. The chance of them completing this journey is slim to non-existing. With the need to find / catch their supplies (food & water) the distance traveled each day will probably be more like 5 miles a day. Total travel time 200 days, which puts them walking through different seasons and even more difficulty. You can kiss off those 100 Facebook friends. SIASD They would be history.

i'll be surprised if they get out of London alive never mind anything else, its so built up and so is the surrounding areas and then you've got all the street gangs, 250 street gangs in London at last count, the London killings of 2018 will seem nothing compared to the mayhem of SHTF.

Last edited:
Today is far different than 1861. In 1861 both sides had a government, both sides had states and both sides had loyalties to the cause and to the states, that type of convection don’t exist today! Also, both sides were well funded and had the industry for the needed supplies to wage war.

I think people watch to much television and or read to many science fiction books. A civil war today would bring destruction to the Constitution, the Republic would forever be history, the democracy we know today will never return so don’t think once a civil war would be the savior of anything, look at the ideology today. For the ones glamouring for a civil war absolutely have no experience in war, a civil war is the dirtiest of wars and the ones glamorizing it apparently have nothing to lose!

U.K. situation:

If the SHTF event is a sudden event (lost power grid, nationwide) then the urban folks are doo-doo-. They will not stand a chance . If the SHTF event is a slow long term process (failing infrastructure and government) the the U.K. will follow almost exactly like Venezuela (VZ). Very similar situations, disarmed population, urban, suburban populations separated by distance from the rural population. VZ is a prime match to what will happen in the U.K. JM2c

When you start to consider the scenarios, what could happen, when, where, etc, etc. It's mindboggling. I would say the main thing is to do the best you can to ensure your independence. That is live frugally and wisely and NOT be dependent on the government. Now that you have accomplished that huge task, then decide what is the most likely scenario and prepare for that. There are lots of things that could happen and the preps for these things can overlap , so be sure to consider that. If you prepare for one thing, such as economic collapse, and feel ready for it, then preparing for social unrest will be less expensive because you already have some of the preps in place. I think most people here would rather not have to have to use their preps, but having them provides a lot of security. You know, like a rainy day fund. Better to have one than not.
Now addressing the question of when will bad things happen......If we knew that then there would be no accidents, no unwarned tsunami, no 911. You can only read the signs of the times. Is there going to be an Antifa march in your neighborhood, then prepare for trouble. Is the stock market stable? How is it going with the global warming? How are the politics, so on and so forth. That really is the only clue we have. I am sure if the Jews in Poland had heeded the signs of the times, more would have escaped. Just be aware as best you can.

I like having preps as an insurance plan. I can cook without electricity, have water and multiple ways to make it safe to drink and have enough supplies to make it comfortably through most emergencies. I even have pretty good security covered. All that being said, I think the most important thing we can all do is enjoy life now. No one knows what tomorrow will bring, and I am certain of one thing. We are all going to die eventually and we only get one chance at this short lifetime. Make the best of it, always tell the ones your close to how much you care about them, help one another out when you can. Life is easier right now for most people than it has ever been in human history. Don’t forget to enjoy it.

Keep in mind there is People both urban and rual living what We call shtf or post end of the world as we know it . Living on the fringe just surviving . Some already formed into predatory groups . You don't have to look hard to find them . They may well call Us sheep .

They are going to find a very different kind of sheep if they decide to visit my place.

Latest posts

Back