Helpful Info. The Dangers of Railroad Travel

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Dixon

Reaction score
I live right next to a set of railroad tracks, and after walking them alot more often, I've realized it isn't nearly as appealing to follow them to your bugout location as it is to take the forested route. I have seen some dangers of railroad travel, and I would like to highlight them quickly for you guys.

One danger of railroad travel is how exposed you are to others. I walked on the railroad tracks tonight, and my friends about 300 yards off managed to see us walking down them. You are severely exposed, and this may cause you to be fatally wounded or die in an extreme situation.

Another danger is how many un-informed looneys may be walking the railroad when the SHTF. They wouldn't realize just how easy it would be to run into someone, and after walking the tracks myself, I find it is easy to locate others and sometimes even get noticed by others. The traffic would be horrendous. If you wanted, you could set up an ambush from either side of the tracks, and maybe even use bottles of black powder, if your aim is good enough. Many things can happen on a place that has a high traffic output. Shootings, theft, the list goes on for a while.

In an SHTF situation, you can use the railroad to your advantage in many ways. Learn the woods beside it and you may have an ambush area. If there is a creek beside it, use it. Everything is useful in some way. Even these railroad tracks, which seem useless, can be a prime traffic point, and you can use that to your advantage.

-Sincerely,
Dallas

You are supposed to parallel RR line or power lines or roads and free ways not actually walk on them, they are a navigational aid not a highway for preppers, same with canals, rivers etc you parallel them keeping them to your right or left by a few hundred yards where possible. RR lines, Roads etc will be checkpoint and ambush hotspots for bad people and federalis if TSHTF

You are supposed to parallel RR line or power lines or roads and free ways not actually walk on them, they are a navigational aid not a highway for preppers, same with canals, rivers etc you parallel them keeping them to your right or left by a few hundred yards where possible. RR lines, Roads etc will be checkpoint and ambush hotspots for bad people and federalis if TSHTF

I know you are correct sir, but this article is on the dangers of travelling on the RR, not how to traverse it and other places. If you want me to make a thread on travel, just let me know, and tell me some key points to get through.

-Sincerely,
Dallas

Sure, go for it.

Key points?

Most efficient mode of travel.

Density gradient of refugees, from major population areas, distance X time elapsed since event.

National interstate system choke points.

Likely areas of Federal/State presence. Purpose of presence.

Destination, the point of travel.

Average speed of laden, walking refugee. Assuming that speed, and three weeks until death from starvation, how far will a refugee make it from the city? Will roads/railroads be safer? Faster? Is there a minimum safe BOL distance from a major urban area, where refugee's on foot are unlikely, statistically, to live long enough to reach?

Stuff like that.

Sure, go for it.

Key points?

Most efficient mode of travel.

Density gradient of refugees, from major population areas, distance X time elapsed since event.

National interstate system choke points.

Likely areas of Federal/State presence. Purpose of presence.

Destination, the point of travel.

Average speed of laden, walking refugee. Assuming that speed, and three weeks until death from starvation, how far will a refugee make it from the city? Will roads/railroads be safer? Faster? Is there a minimum safe BOL distance from a major urban area, where refugee's on foot are unlikely, statistically, to live long enough to reach?

Stuff like that.

I'm going to my grandparents' this weekend, so I won't be on (No wifi), but I'll be sure to dwell on that.

good job you've still got a RR young Dallas, we lost most of ours in Britain in the 60s, now only the most profitable main lines are still open. and they are congested and very expensive.
walking along a track can be dangerous, electricity, trains and people don't mix. rail stations are the dangerous places.

Latest posts

Back