The Dangers of Forestry

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krime

M.I.A.
Reaction score
Ok, TBH, i didn't know where to put this one.
If anyone's an avid reader of this forum or even my posts, you'll know I'm GTFO to the forest area.
however, my friend, that btw, I'm really starting to get into prepping, stated yet another thing that i had not an answer for, he said, "ok, so we're going to the forest right? so how many others that don't actually know what their doing might try their luck their, not know what their doing, and start a freaking forest fire?"
tbh this scared me enough to rethink my forest idea, but I'm still going. the chances of that happening may go up, substantially, however, there may be still room to run if I'm not too close to ground 0 of the fire.
however, it got me thinking to buy more burn cream and gauze, because you never know.
my advice in this situation would be either, find your water source and stay in it, watering down everything, only second to getting out if possible.

on a side note, remember animals will be running from the fire too, which may give ample opportunity for an easy shot, as long as your not in danger doing so.

remember smokey the bear, Only you can prevent forest fires, so do what can to clear the area of debris before lighting one.

Ok, TBH, i didn't know where to put this one.
If anyone's an avid reader of this forum or even my posts, you'll know I'm GTFO to the forest area.
however, my friend, that btw, I'm really starting to get into prepping, stated yet another thing that i had not an answer for, he said, "ok, so we're going to the forest right? so how many others that don't actually know what their doing might try their luck their, not know what their doing, and start a freaking forest fire?"
tbh this scared me enough to rethink my forest idea, but I'm still going. the chances of that happening may go up, substantially, however, there may be still room to run if I'm not too close to ground 0 of the fire.
however, it got me thinking to buy more burn cream and gauze, because you never know.
my advice in this situation would be either, find your water source and stay in it, watering down everything, only second to getting out if possible.

on a side note, remember animals will be running from the fire too, which may give ample opportunity for an easy shot, as long as your not in danger doing so.

remember smokey the bear, Only you can prevent forest fires, so do what can to clear the area of debris before lighting one.
I totally understand what your gettin at, hopefully I'll get far enough into the woods to get away from the idiots. Lol

Trying to find a secluded well protected area is not going to be an easy task. unfortunately the places I have found that are well protected are in the damn desert.

It is a shame how much man relies on fire and yet the average Joe can't start a fire from scratch, much less have any idea how to conceal a fire, or even how to make a safe fire bed.

Know what you get after a forest fire?
Crispy critters!

We'll head for the river swamp if we need to bug out. Forest Fire not as big of an issue since everything is damp and it's easy to build a fire break if needed.

one situation comes to mind..others has suggested going deep into the forrest.thats the first thing to do. 2nd is locateing a well hid spot.cave or a high spot thats hid by view like a combination of rock formation and trees..pick the location where the fire willl be.might make sure there's branchs over head.that'll filter the smoke at least some what..clear it of all grass weeds and debree.at least 3 feet out from center of fire..then the fire pit. of choice..

So what type of background do you have that will allow you to live off the land? How will you resupply on essentials? I extensively hunt, fish, trap and do extended trips into the BWCA going in up to 20 miles. Mother nature can be harsh. Can you kill game and butcher it yourself? You better be able to be self sustaining in the woods for a month before attempting to do it for real in bug out situation. I would like to hear your survival plan and your skill sets that will get you to survive.

i done my share of hunting and fishing.i've cleaned fish and deer..i havent gone 20 mile into the forrest or spend a month.but then growing up in the country has helped on that at least some what..traps and snares i still need to look into my self.

I grew up on the river and in the river swamp here where I live. I know how to grow my own food and how to kill, clean and cook my own food. I have the tools and camping gear I need to survive. I know how to build a fire. I'm no city slicker.

Theres more to survivng in the wild than anyone thinks. Im not trying to come down on anyone, just trying to get some thought provoking started. Woods survival is more than an extended camping trip. I have said it here many times before, 99% of people think they can do it and most wont last 2 weeks with only what they can carry in on there back. There's a lot more to it than cleaning a fish or gutting a deer.

It doesn't matter how far you go back in, wind direction determines how safe you are, lightening strikes, a trekker throwing an aluminum pop can in the field, glass etc can ruin your day... I have 4 spots for my bug out locations that are heavily forested, wild land fires is always in the back of my mind but it's something I am willing to deal with providing I need to leave my bug in location.

you will never be safe from wild fires, they destroy millions of acres a year, and when shtf i am pretty sure that no one will bother to construct a fire line, so you should learn to do one yourself, you must clear the line of debris, trees, grass, leaves, and roots <== can't stress this one enough, fire smolders in the ground following roots, until it finds trees or grass, ultimately defeating the purpose of a fire line. you must avoid making a line on a slope above a fire, because a fire moves up to 15 miles/hour in 0 wind. when you build your line take notice of wind directions, make the line 4x the height of the fire, and 6x the height on a slope >10. also you should learn the types of wildland fires, and what each one does

Latest posts

Back