The Dangers of Forestry

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
learn to read weather, you can predict to good accuracy what the fire is going to do, <30% humidity is good fire weather

I live with forest fires practically every year, these are a sample of my back 40, I have evac twice in the last 3yrs

Attachments

• backyard2011.jpg
    backyard2011.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 11
  • backyard2011a.jpg
    backyard2011a.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 12
  • backyard2011b.jpg
    backyard2011b.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 11
Theres more to survivng in the wild than anyone thinks. Im not trying to come down on anyone, just trying to get some thought provoking started. Woods survival is more than an extended camping trip. I have said it here many times before, 99% of people think they can do it and most wont last 2 weeks with only what they can carry in on there back. There's a lot more to it than cleaning a fish or gutting a deer.
Ahh you are so correct, its not as simple as a thought or even a camping trip. even with plenty of traps set up, you have to keep consistancy of checking them and often times reseting them. There can and will be times you go days, possably weeks without a catch. however there are other "avenues" to go down as well such as bug eating, growing your own, and some other stuff as well. know though, that the more traps, and various kinds of traps will up your chances of food. i plan to use snare, rockfall, and pits to catch my food. yet if food is scarce im willing to do what is nessicary for mine and my familys survival.
Another advice i will give, is study the location you're going to, if not by going there, theres forest guides all over the internet that will tell you what types of animals are located within that regin. study the habits of those animals a bit will help determine what kind of traps, bait and possably where to set them as well.

The old fashioned steel traps work quote well and are simple to learn to use. They are very reasonably priced and last a really long time . Might be worth picking up a dozen or so. The more sets you have the better your odds will be

It was pointed out to me by a game warden that the steel 'snap' trap isn't legal in a lot of places for just anyone to buy them. Not sure what the laws are in California, but my guess is that would be one state it would be hard to get your hands on those types of traps. Just my 2 cents tossed in.

being in a cave isn't a good idea in a forest fire the intense heat created by the fire will suck all of the oxygen right out of the cave , and the remaining heat will sear your lungs when you try to breathe

there's 2 choices on that.get out while the getting is good,and before the smoke or fire gets there.or build a stone wall across the mouth of the cave,with a door that seals shut real good.and keep duct tape or some other tape on hand to put around the doors edge and door frame.and if there's a chimney.figure out a way to close it off..

I'd worry more about all those other folks fleeing into the woods who are now all competing with you for resources, and without the fear of prosecution to prevent them from doing horrible things to get them.
The difficulty of living in the woods really depends on LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION though. For example, when I lived in Alaska, food was a no-brainer. Plenty of food all around you. But, the cold would kill you quick.
Here in FL, still a lot of food around, if you know what to eat and expand your palette somewhat. And, no worries about cold, but you will have to deal with a lot of rain.

A few options you could consider with forest fires. If you own the land (or land adjacent to a forest) you could build a fire bunker. These are becoming more common in Australia now. Buying forested lots adjacent to state forest are usually cheaper than cleared lots.

Another option is to attain forestry maps. In the USA there are large cleared areas set up for "base camps" during large forest fires. Also these maps should have water points on them (in Western Australia the forestry maps, called COG maps, show forest tracks and water points. The water points are for fire fighting purposes, however in survival mode could be used for drinking).

If I couldn't "outrun" the fire, I'd probably ensure I had a fire blanket on me and knew the way to the nearest road (this is assuming you are building only temporary shelter in the forest). Then huddle under my fire blanket in the middle of a cleared road and cross all my fingers and toes).

Best bet I think would be to set up a semi-permanent shelter and cleared area around you. Bare earth breaks around camp, maybe on rocky ground or near a water source. Remember the water can boil in a fire so don't go into the water. Having a chainsaw, and some basic fire fighting tools (hoe, blankets, sand/dirt handy) etc. all could help. I personally would rather have an escape route or if reliant on the forest, live on the outskirts so have an "out".

Well, will not bug out if we do not have to. Think we could last for a while, but not for a long time. But the main point is that we do not have a final destination to go to. If need be we can go by boat, car and through forest. But since we do not have a place to go, we are staying.
Understand it is a big difference to go camping versus have to survive in the wilds. But then I think most people will find more ways to survive if they have to. Still, knowing my limits I aim to bug in.

It is a shame how much man relies on fire and yet the average Joe can't start a fire from scratch, much less have any idea how to conceal a fire, or even how to make a safe fire bed.

Know what you get after a forest fire?
Crispy critters!
Bar BQ!

one situation comes to mind..others has suggested going deep into the forrest.thats the first thing to do. 2nd is locateing a well hid spot.cave or a high spot thats hid by view like a combination of rock formation and trees..pick the location where the fire willl be.might make sure there's branchs over head.that'll filter the smoke at least some what..clear it of all grass weeds and debree.at least 3 feet out from center of fire..then the fire pit. of choice..
A high spot in a forest fire is the worst possible place to be. Stay in low areas. Fire likes to travel up hill and moves with the wind. Once it gets big enough it does create it's own wind. I'd find a place along a creek, river or lake to sit tight. You can always go for a swim to stay alive.

we had our share of fires to.i had been thinking it last year.but i believe it was in 2012..there was one small scale fire less then 1 mile awaywhen going across land instead of by road.and another a lil further..

If you ever get a chance to watch a wold fire watch how it moves. It's almost like it's alive.

I have two uncles and my baby brother and really good friend in this picture (oregon hotshots) I have several family members retired from forest service (wildland fire fighters) last year we had to evac the cattle and equipment, in 2011 we was on orders to evac, several of us stayed behind running the cats cutting fire breaks around the property, the fire was a mile away moving up hill finally stopping a stone throw away (2011 pictures post earlier up in this thread), amongst the heavy smoke you had no since of direction without any recognizable land mark, without the radios we had no idea the direction of the fire! caves, brick buildings etc... offer very little hope! the heat along with the fires created winds will suck the oxygen right out and possibly surrounding you with super heated air both will kill you. climb the highest point see if you can see where the intensity of the fire is at and move away from there and if possible keep to the lowest point when moving always keeping wind direction in the forefront of the mind also keep in mind wind direction can be deceiving close to the ground, if possible see what direction the larger animals are moving, animals have a better since of safety then us humans in the confusion amongst the smoke.

oregonhotshots.jpg

Latest posts

Back